Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 08:09:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new real lights  (Read 33941 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: new real lights
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 23:37:53 »

Dont like all the lights on both sides... look like it to much lights... But very good all the other! :D
I think those lights are awesome!

And do you have any idea how long it must have taken to get them on there?

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 01:02:57 »

ok well i have good news and bad news

bad news the titanic lights have been deleted when i reboot my pc.
good news i am starting them all over right now

matt5674

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:41:07 »

I really want titanic's lights so i can walk throuh the ship no longer blind!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:15 »

The delay is actually a good thing, as it gives me a bit more time to get the rest of the light info I need!

Also, bbydino05, make EVERY LIGHT (except 3: the red and green ones, and a white one, but those are in my department, so I'll show you the info ASAP. Shouldn't be long now, since I'm right in the middle of the final stage: editing the plans to show you where they are, so you are less likely to miss them and to see what is or is not a light.

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 04:50:47 »

The delay is actually a good thing, as it gives me a bit more time to get the rest of the light info I need!

Also, bbydino05, make EVERY LIGHT (except 3: the red and green ones, and a white one, but those are in my department, so I'll show you the info ASAP. Shouldn't be long now, since I'm right in the middle of the final stage: editing the plans to show you where they are, so you are less likely to miss them and to see what is or is not a light.
you can call me cody

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:16 »

you can call me cody
Okay, I'll remember that.

matt5674

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:07 »

Hey cody, just look at RMS GIGANTIC's sig,it has titanic lit with lights.why don't you just copythe bridge and A-Deck light and use it for ss08 titanic?

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 01:34:20 »

Hey cody, just look at RMS GIGANTIC's sig,it has titanic lit with lights.why don't you just copythe bridge and A-Deck light and use it for ss08 titanic?
Actually, those lights are rough, and probably even inaccurate, as Titanic did not have any lights in front of the bridge on when she was anchored mid-stream.

Also, cody has to put the lights in using coordinates, so that would be INCREDIBLY difficult.

Drakko

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 23:34:04 »

Titanic in fsx have lights , i hope the titanic in ss look like this or better( it look so far)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 02:11:30 »

Those lights are inaccurate, as no exterior lights even with or foreward of the bridge would be on when the ship was at sea.

I have all the light info, now all it takes is pointing to the lights on the plans, and I can send it to Cody.

matt5674

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 22:09:02 »

Titanic could have the lights from the 1997 movie "TITANIC" cause those are really accurate. ;D

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 23:54:39 »

Titanic could have the lights from the 1997 movie "TITANIC" cause those are really accurate. ;D
Sorry, but actually no. The funnels did not have their own lights and all deck lights in, even with, and foreward of the bridge were off when at sea.

And siso, I do have them, but I did not research for them.

Also, Cody, do you know how to get it where the lights are only visible from certain directions? because a pair of shielded deck lights have yet to be rendered.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 23:56:49 by RMS Gigantic »

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 16:29:19 »

This may be a stupid question, but how did you get the light editor?

Are there any other editors that you can download?

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 00:34:44 »

You edit the lights by opening the .lgt file with notepad and dealing with the coordinates. No editor.

Tutorial by cody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qugb12d5Neg

And the light files are attached.

First is Latitude, then Ocean Star, then Agile.

TerryRussell

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 02:03:20 »

Could I just point out that adding lights to a vessel causes more work for you PC's processor. You can easily cause problems in which some missions may not load, or may crash, or have slow frame rates (jerky motion) and so on.

At that stage, you're on your own, I'm afraid.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 03:32:32 »

Ah, yes, as this is analogical with adding more polys to the ships when  night falls. I have had no problems with this, but that's just me.

Also, Terry, forgive me for going off-topic, but did you get my PM about Titanic's whistle?

TerryRussell

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 04:23:44 »

Ah, yes, as this is analogical with adding more polys to the ships when  night falls. I have had no problems with this, but that's just me.

Also, Terry, forgive me for going off-topic, but did you get my PM about Titanic's whistle?

Hi.

Actually, the polys are there at all times. So performance is slugged whether the lights are active or not.

Got the PM, but not had any time to do anything yet (I'm thousands of miles from home at the moment).

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 04:45:13 »

I have a midi of what one member of the TRMA thinks is the wreck's whistle, followed by what they think it originally was. Each note in the triad is raised three half steps if you go from compressed air to steam.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 06:06:48 »

That would mean, if the compressed air produces a C, it will become a D sharp, when they use steam?

The volume and pitch might change since they only blew the refurbished one at lower pressure and the tone will be a tad different due to air and steam having different masses, but I doubt it would make a huge difference in pitch when the full pressure is applied. Surely not three semitones up I think, that's quite a lot.. I would expect steam to produce a lower pitched sound even. I might be wrong, but it seems logical since it's less dense.  :-\

This is just my logical assesment as a musician, I am not a metallurgic expert of course, or something like that. But if these thoughts of the TRMA guys are founded upon solid facts, and you also have these facts in black and white, in some scientific piece of evidence, then surely we'll have a look at it. In Terry's absence overseas, you may also send it along to me in advance, as I'm Terry's research and testing sidekick, so to speak... And well I'm just keen to hear your sound sample aswell... hehe I PM-ed you my email adress, in case you want to send it.

Btw.. the wrecks whistle is known, since it was blown, and recorded, and used in the game.. so I'm not quite following the nuance you make between 'the wreck's whistle' and 'what it used to be'.  ???

Cheers
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 11:44:00 »

Hi Fred.

I need to check my thoughts, but currently, they run along these lines.

As you know, the frequency of vibration ("pitch") of the note produced is a direct function of the weight of air being modulated. So, as with a trombone, you can lower the pitch as the tube becomes longer.

With a very large tube or with a very high pressure, the volume increases as the air gets compressed. So the frequency goes down.

The effect of steam is to add the weight of the water into the mass being modulated so the frequency gets lowered. But, the watter is a colloid (particles in suspension, not being dissolved, so somewhat independent). I'm not sure of the maths for that effect. Also, without knowing the air/water mix, it is difficult to estimate the difference in mass. But steam will weigh more than air at the same pressure and temperature, and thus have a lower frequency.

To further complicate it, the air is obviously heated by the steam and the hot gases occupy less space, gram for gram unless the compression is altered. So the frequency will increase when hot air air used.

I'd need a lot of facts to begin to work it all out. Best approach will be to make some "educated guesses" based on the recording when it was powered using compressed air. My initial thoughts were that a lot of these effects cancel out, so the recording we have may not be far away from reality.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 19:10:43 »

A tad bit complicated indeed, then.  :)

Perhaps we could get in touch with a techhead that was involved in the refurbishing/sounding of the original.

Maybe they didn't just use less air pressure to keep it from rupturing, but maybe they did the math and also made it to sound more realistic that way. I'm just thinking out loud here, though, this might be nonesense.  :)

Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 19:23:49 »

Yes it will!  :)

Probably it's best to make backups of the files you are going to replace, that way you can just put those back and delete the edited ones, so you don't need a new install.

But a fresh new install will always be the stock game again, that's for sure.

Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 19:30:11 »

No problem. Max!

Yes, if you are going to reinstall, it's not a bad idea to make a backup of this folder.

Though when you uninstall the game, it will ask you if you want to keep your profiles and missions, if you check that you should be fine. But an extra backup of the whole folder can never hurt, I highly recommend it!

Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 19:34:48 »

Nope, your forum profile isn't going to be changed anyway, that stays the same, no matter what you do with the installation on your pc.

If you use that 'keep my profile and missions' option, you can just restart the game and it will be like nothing happened, your profile, your controls, your settings, they all will be the same. (I'm not 100% sure but I think you DO have to install the game back into the same destination, where it is before you unistall it)

But as I said, that backup of the whole folder, is a very good idea, I suggest doing that first, as you never know. And then you have all that stuff secure in case of emergency.  ;D

You're very welcome!

Fred.

* Edit - Typo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 19:37:56 by Mad_Fred »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 19:39:18 »

No problem, Glad I could help!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines