Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 08:42:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SS08 (or real) Titanic questions and disputes  (Read 4558 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
SS08 (or real) Titanic questions and disputes
« on: September 27, 2008, 23:23:05 »

I've noticed in several threads, Titanic discussions would arise that ended up so off topic that it brought some topics to be locked, and others to the brink.

So I decided to make a thread just for Titanic discussion, questions, and arguements/disputes/debates so no more threads will fall victim to Titanic-itis, and where it will all be on topic!

mvsmith

Re: SS08 (or real) Titanic questions and disputes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:45 »

This is good. I have been waiting for a place where we can discuss, free of digressions, the question of whether Titanic was deliberately sunk because she carried a secret cargo of Marmite.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:43:47 »

hahaha xD

firestar12

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:01:08 »

I think Murdoch was a Good guy. And i think it was Terry who sank her trying to get the Marmite.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:03:59 by firestar12 »

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:53:55 »

I think Murdoch was a Good guy. And i think it was Terry who sank her trying to get the Marmite.
Terry did? noooooooooo!!!! haha. Terry's ancinet ;D

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:36:30 »

Terry didn't kill Kenny, he killed 1,523 innocent people! ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:11:47 »

For a topic about Titanic, it soon went Marmite, even without my kind assistance.

In any case, it is a well-know fact that Titanic was not sunk by an iceberg. That is just Hollywood rewriting what actually happened. A bit like Braveheart was written as if there were actually Scotsmen around at that time.

If you look up the Cambridge University book "Titanic - The Unmitigated Truths", by C. Mai. Butte, you will see that Titanic was in reality sunk by a semi-submerged jar of explosing Marmite, driven by intergalatic hoodlums.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:42 »

I thought you said it was daleks inside the iceberg

Nathan|C

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:20:04 »

Is it true that there was a ship 20 minutes away from Titanic while she was sinking, but the wireless operator was too busy being smoothered in Marmite to answer the distress call?

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:21:16 »

He dropped the wireless in a pot of marmite, which happened to be badly out of date. Then he went *ihhh uhhh ahhhhhh BAH* then died.

Lesson learnt, never drop your wireless in an out of date pot of marmite when Titanic is sinking.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 13:11:19 »

I thought you said it was daleks inside the iceberg

Yes. I think "intergalactic hoodlums" is a fair description of those animated dustbins. (I thnk Ted Rodgers use to host a show with one of them in it).

Oh, and Jack, there is no such thing as out of date marmite. It has a half-life greater than that of the universe. It can never decay as nothing can live in it. Or would want to.

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 13:19:34 »

\

;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 13:26:45 »

And when off-duty:

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 13:29:15 »

You can tell who's Dalek went to which job search sites can't we.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 16:53:05 »

Maybe Paddington, our friend from childhood, offered them some marmite sandwiches

matt5674

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 21:03:13 »

For a topic about Titanic, it soon went Marmite, even without my kind assistance.

In any case, it is a well-know fact that Titanic was not sunk by an iceberg. That is just Hollywood rewriting what actually happened. A bit like Braveheart was written as if there were actually Scotsmen around at that time.

If you look up the Cambridge University book "Titanic - The Unmitigated Truths", by C. Mai. Butte, you will see that Titanic was in reality sunk by a semi-submerged jar of explosing Marmite, driven by intergalatic hoodlums.
some movies about titanic are actual but no pictures or videos from a lifeboat nearby were never found in the wreck so Hollywood made vids of what the survivors description about here was. the best place to know about TITANIC is found at a museum called the titanic museum that i don't know where it is located atbut i was told of its excistance. it has everything to know bout titanic there.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 21:25:03 »

some movies about titanic are actual but no pictures or videos from a lifeboat nearby were never found in the wreck so Hollywood made vids of what the survivors description about here was. the best place to know about TITANIC is found at a museum called the titanic museum that i don't know where it is located atbut i was told of its excistance. it has everything to know bout titanic there.
It's in Branson, Missouri.

I went there.

Be warned, though, some of its info has proved to be off, like when they say the Titanic was 3 inches longer than Olympic.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 22:34:09 »

Errr.... Does the word "joke" have any significance to in my post?

Not surprised that no-one found any videos in any of Titanic's lifeboats. What with it being near the turn of the last century and all that.

Nothing that Hollywood ever makes is "actual". Everything is rewritten and refabricated. It's called fictionalization.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 03:44:17 »

Errr.... Does the word "joke" have any significance to in my post?

Not surprised that no-one found any videos in any of Titanic's lifeboats. What with it being near the turn of the last century and all that.

Nothing that Hollywood ever makes is "actual". Everything is rewritten and refabricated. It's called fictionalization.
And I hate fictionalization.

If I was the director of a new Titanic movie, I'd have everyhting in it either be fact, or "connecting the dots". Nothing would be winged unless months (or more) research was put into the idea and it can be made certain that what happened at that exact time and place is not known. And even if it is not, I'd get it to make as much sense as possible (as in, no suicidal killer Murdoch).

I'd also make certain to the inclusion of the near miss with the SS New York and the Proprio Deo version of Nearer, My God, to Thee being played as the band's last song. (Seriously! how can EVERY Titanic movie screw that up?!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:46:10 by RMS Gigantic »

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:06 »

And you would finance the entire motion picture yourself.

You would probably have to distribute it yourself—going door to door begging Art Houses to show your, to most people, boring film. Probably the majority of your potential audience has posted on this forum.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:30:09 by mvsmith »

mvsmith

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 04:19:57 »

...and the Proprio Deo version of Nearer, My God, to Thee being played as the band's last song. (Seriously! how can EVERY Titanic movie screw that up?!)

And you could forget the US market, because the closest thing to the C of E is the Episcopal Church in America, and nobody here knows that tune.

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 18:51:31 »

Yep, the reason Hollywood glamorises and fictionalises (glamorizes and fictionalizes) so much is that it sells films. If hard facts sold films they'd do that. But life isn't like that. Apparently people want thrills not truth.

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 19:56:27 »

Considering that it was just a love story incidentally set aboard an ill-fated ship, Jim Cameron went to considerable trouble to research it and got most of the facts right.

Remember the clown who announced that he found a “bug”—the Titanic’s wheel was backwards? If he had paid attention, he would have seen that the helmsman put the wheel over to port to turn to port.

Jim knew that US audiences expected to hear the band play “Nearer My God to Thee”, and that he should give them a version that they would recognize.
Before someone says that there is a bigger audience outside the US: The reception a film receives domestically has a lot to do with how it does globally.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 20:01:16 by mvsmith »

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 20:08:03 »

I think that in terms of box-office receipts there isn't a bigger audience outside of the US...

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 03:30:20 »

The Agony and the Extacy from 1965 (Link to the page on the IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058886/) certainly got great reviews, and the only known errors in it are a minor prochronism and the fact that one person should have a beard!

This certainly is unlike the 1997 Titanic movie, which seems to portray the Titanic as the ship version of the "Back to the Future" Delorean!

Here is a list of a few of such prochronisms:

• Dog leashes were in the style of a leash company not founded until the 1970's
  • Jack's sack is from 1940's
  • Philosophy from 1930's mentioned
  • The classic Lake Wisota goof!
  • Wielded pipes, rather than riveted
  • Gun that Cal uses during the sinking wasn't made until the late 1920's

New from the White Star Line: The world's first time traveling class of Trans-Atlantic liners: Royal Mail Steamers Olympic, Titanic, and Gigantic ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:32:25 by RMS Gigantic »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines