Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 01:35:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic's fatual collision  (Read 34816 times)

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Titanic's fatual collision
« on: September 16, 2008, 17:03:29 »

I'm going to recreate the fatual collision between Titanic and the iceberg using the mission editor, and I'm going to make it as accurate as possible!  Maybe I'll toss in "Hard to Starboard" from the soundtrack of Titanic.

I have studied the ship for a long time and now I'm putting my research to the test.  ;D

EDIT: this project will have to wait a while as I'm very busy. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 16:44:18 by TheTitanicExpert »
All ahead full!

Nathan|C

Re: Titanic's fatual collision
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 17:55:27 »

It can't be that realistic though - the Titanic in Ship Simulator 2008 has too quick a ROT to replicate like the movie. Same with the engines. The telemotor issues a command, and the engine room responds very quickly  in the game - it would take a while, like in the movie.

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 18:37:52 »

I hate to break the news to you TTE, but it has been attempted many times. The CMMs often get idiotic missions involving Titanic and icebergs—often as many as six icebergs.

Nathan is correct that any meaningful re-creation of the disaster is not possible—for many reasons.
Her ROT is too high, but also increases too quickly. The model’s rudder goes hard over much quicker than the 30 seconds it took Titanic.

The engine response is quicker, but engine response played virtually no part in the real disaster. It would have made no difference whatever Murdoch did. Theoretically, it would have lessened rudder effectiveness by stopping the center, turbine driven, screw. However, in the 40 seconds before impact it is doubtful that the turbine had stopped.

Although Titanic will sink from impact below the water line if you hit the berg correctly, she will not sink in a satisfactory manner, and will go down in about a minute.
The whole thing is about as satisfactory as flying through the WTC in an earlier MSFS.

If you attempt this, or any mission, you should first study the Mission Editor Tutorial. Whatever you do, do not Upload your attempt to the CMMs unless you want your name added to our idiot list.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 19:13:26 »

If they had just collided head on, would that have made any difference?

Nathan|C

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 19:16:00 »

If they had just collided head on, would that have made any difference?

I really do not see how that could work..i think it's just a myth. Plus who is going to stamd there and say "Ah it's ok, we;ll survive if we ram it". It's a natural reaction to try and avoid it.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 19:17:51 »

Well it works for lumpy water (big waves) so how about giant spikey frozen water?

Nathan|C

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 19:19:52 »

Hitting water head on is not the same as hitting ice.
Ice = Solid
Water = Liquid.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 19:22:47 »

I know that, I'm not completely stupid, I was just wondering whether it would have helped but obviously not

Nathan|C

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 19:26:49 »

I know that, I'm not completely stupid, I was just wondering whether it would have helped but obviously not

Well, i thought it would be obvious  :P

Icebergs are very hard. Waves are easy to cut through with the bow of a ship. If a ship wants to cut through ice, it needs a special icebreaker bow. But even then, we're only talking about thin ice, not icebergs which tower over a ship.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 19:29:08 »

OK, also, another silly question but I read somewhere on this forum that the gash down the side of the ship wasn't real, is that true?

Nathan|C

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 19:30:13 »

OK, also, another silly question but I read somewhere on this forum that the gash down the side of the ship wasn't real, is that true?

No, i think that's another myth too. The 'berg punctured down the side of Titanics hull.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 19:32:55 »

But didn't carry on for long?

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 19:47:22 »

Moved to General Discussions, which is where it belongs. Please ytry to post in the corrrect thread. The ShipSimulator 2008 area is almost never appropriate.

General Discussions is suitable for things to do with Ship Simulator and Small Talk is supposed to be for other things about ship-related topics.

Thanks.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 20:05:07 »

What is the ship sim 2008 area used for then?

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 20:14:16 »

As I've said many times, nothing, pretty much.

There are sections that are suitable for virtually every possible topic. The ONLY thing that is acceptable in the Ship Simulator 20088 area is requests for technical support relating to the demo version of the game.

Most of the time, posts seem to go into the area because people can't make the effort to post it in the relevant section.

I gave warning a month ago that I would start to delete such posts without warning. Kind person that I am, these are now the warnings. But they won't be for much longer....

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 21:05:53 »

Cue sinister music

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 21:12:03 »

I really do not see how that could work..i think it's just a myth. Plus who is going to stamd there and say "Ah it's ok, we;ll survive if we ram it". It's a natural reaction to try and avoid it.

You are right about that, Nathan.
(I hate it when that happens!)
The Idea that the Titanic would have survived had she hit the berg square on the bow was first floated by Bruce Ismay during the US inquiry as a way of placing the blame on the bridge. Titanic might have survived, but few of her passengers and crew would have.

Arithmetic problem: Take the distance from the bow to whichever bulkhead you choose to remain intact. That is the distance in which Titanic had to stop from 21.5 knots. You might add a few feet for crushing of the ice. From the stopping distance and the speed you can calculate how many Gs of deceleration were involved. From that you can estimate what things—like the engines—may have come loose and gone crashing into other things—like people.
The people, tableware, etc. keep on moving at 21.5 knots until they hit something solid. That would be real hard on the china.
Even if your favorite WT bulkhead survived, most likely plates would have buckled along the sides. She would probably have sunk anyway.
Did I mention the fires and steam resulting from the engines going through the boiler rooms?
Marty

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:38 »

RMS Gigantic will laugh when he see's this topic..... ;D :D
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Nathan|C

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 15:12:01 »

RMS Gigantic will laugh when he see's this topic..... ;D :D

*Yawns* I'm getting a little bored of Titanic discussions now  ::)

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 15:30:08 »

Me too, Nathan,
I’m getting less amused by the self-proclaimed Titanic Experts who have read one book or seen one movie and can do little more than parrot the same tired myths. The word “research” does not seem to be in the vocabulary of many of these experts.
Regards,
Marty

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 16:04:12 »

Me too, i'm starting to get bored of these Titanic threads, if any new person came here they would think this forum is called "Titanic Simulator 2008" ::) And, like you said mvsmith, people should make sure they know what they are talking about, before they actually open their mouth about the subject. I just want rid of these constant Titanic threads, its really starting to get boring and annoying.

Jack :-\
Kind Regards,
Jack.

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 16:52:36 »

As I've said many times, nothing, pretty much.

There are sections that are suitable for virtually every possible topic. The ONLY thing that is acceptable in the Ship Simulator 20088 area is requests for technical support relating to the demo version of the game.

Most of the time, posts seem to go into the area because people can't make the effort to post it in the relevant section.

I gave warning a month ago that I would start to delete such posts without warning. Kind person that I am, these are now the warnings. But they won't be for much longer....

Then which sections can I post?
All ahead full!

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 16:53:54 »

It can't be that realistic though - the Titanic in Ship Simulator 2008 has too quick a ROT to replicate like the movie. Same with the engines. The telemotor issues a command, and the engine room responds very quickly  in the game - it would take a while, like in the movie.

Okay, so maybe I can't make it as accurate as I thought I could.  But I'll try my best. 
All ahead full!

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 16:54:47 »

I hate to break the news to you TTE, but it has been attempted many times. The CMMs often get idiotic missions involving Titanic and icebergs—often as many as six icebergs.

Nathan is correct that any meaningful re-creation of the disaster is not possible—for many reasons.
Her ROT is too high, but also increases too quickly. The model’s rudder goes hard over much quicker than the 30 seconds it took Titanic.

The engine response is quicker, but engine response played virtually no part in the real disaster. It would have made no difference whatever Murdoch did. Theoretically, it would have lessened rudder effectiveness by stopping the center, turbine driven, screw. However, in the 40 seconds before impact it is doubtful that the turbine had stopped.

Although Titanic will sink from impact below the water line if you hit the berg correctly, she will not sink in a satisfactory manner, and will go down in about a minute.
The whole thing is about as satisfactory as flying through the WTC in an earlier MSFS.

If you attempt this, or any mission, you should first study the Mission Editor Tutorial. Whatever you do, do not Upload your attempt to the CMMs unless you want your name added to our idiot list.

Well, I am still going to attemp to.
All ahead full!

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 16:56:22 »

Me too, Nathan,
I’m getting less amused by the self-proclaimed Titanic Experts who have read one book or seen one movie and can do little more than parrot the same tired myths. The word “research” does not seem to be in the vocabulary of many of these experts.
Regards,
Marty

I have been studying the ship for years.
All ahead full!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines