Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 18:00:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOW! This ships horn sounds JUST LIKE one of the ones in the game!  (Read 8649 times)

Nathan|C

Re: WOW! This ships horn sounds JUST LIKE one of the ones in the game!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 18:46:45 »

I think that is the one for the RPA 12 in TerryRussells' horn pack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 19:52:52 »

It's shorter and a different tone and has lots of background noises. But it is similar. Many vessels sound similar, though.

PS I've moved this to media.

Please don't post in the Ship Simulator 2008 area, Firestar. I have asked before.

If it involves Ship Simulator related video or audio then "Media" is the relevant section.

Otherwise if it is related to Ship Simulatoir, post in the General Discussions area. If it is vaguely ship related, use Small Talk.

Thank you.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:01 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElruJMYilow&NR=1

hey shouldent this be the horn for the "Harbor tug" not the RPA12, im starting to get very suspicious about changes in SS08 these days

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:49:51 »

Well, go back to the originals if you don't like the newer ones. No-one forced you to install them.

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:56 »

I'd like to propose a toast, on the definitive lack of understanding by some people.  ;D

I dont know how exactly one does a "mod"  .. all i know is; it takes a helluva lot more time and effort then those two mouseclicks we do to install them.  ;)

Regards,

Steiny

::)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:54:31 »

I second Steiny's post. I just would like to be able to do something along the lines mentioned, but I do not have the ability. However some folks are unhappy unless they can find things to complain about. How much better if they were to look for, and comment on, the really good things in the simulator, of which there are many.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:50 »

Thanks for your support Steiny.

We should declare an interest though, for the sake of honesty...

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 13:22:10 »

Yes m8, but how does one undersign ones work when it's Sound..... i certainly dont have the program to see if the sounds match, should they be used for something else without asking the author. (doesn't show any sign of respect either imo)

regards,

Frank

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 17:01:40 »

Hi Frank and Angus.

Well, as the author, I stated very clearly in the accompanying file that the horn sounds are not intended to be genune.

They meet the IMO requirements for pitch against vessel size. The rest, such a leaky feeder pipe to one of the horns in one vessel, and so on, are fabrications. But none are unrealistic.

Fred and I spent a lot of time locating original recordings where possible and recordings of similar types of vessel where the ship itself is imaginary. I was not going to break someone else's copyright by just slapping those sounds into a pack (the recordings were all pretty poor anyway), so I fabricated similar sounds, with ultra-high quality. I used a full 32-track studio to create and mix the sounds.

I even got a couple of recordings from the real vessels while they were in the Solent, thanks to obliging captains. In the radio pack, you can hear one captain asking QHM for permission to sound the horn for me!

And still the nit-pickers moan....

firestar12

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 20:43:23 »

Hi Frank and Angus.

Well, as the author, I stated very clearly in the accompanying file that the horn sounds are not intended to be genune.

They meet the IMO requirements for pitch against vessel size. The rest, such a leaky feeder pipe to one of the horns in one vessel, and so on, are fabrications. But none are unrealistic.

Fred and I spent a lot of time locating original recordings where possible and recordings of similar types of vessel where the ship itself is imaginary. I was not going to break someone else's copyright by just slapping those sounds into a pack (the recordings were all pretty poor anyway), so I fabricated similar sounds, with ultra-high quality. I used a full 32-track studio to create and mix the sounds.

I even got a couple of recordings from the real vessels while they were in the Solent, thanks to obliging captains. In the radio pack, you can hear one captain asking QHM for permission to sound the horn for me!

And still the nit-pickers moan....
Thats funny terry. About the Captain asking them. lol.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:35:11 »

Well, go back to the originals if you don't like the newer ones. No-one forced you to install them.

oh no, the horns are fine just wondering a bit because in that video the ship is a harbor tug but in the game the horn is set to a incident repose vessel, im happy with the horns add on pack, im just thinking a bit here.....aldough they are much better from the original ones

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:22 »

Just as a little extra info, the horns on ships are not dependant on what type of vessel they are. They are related to the size of the vessel.

So a harbor tug and an incident response vessel of similar sizes can easily have very similar, even the same, horns.

Just FYI.

Fred

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 10:05:21 »

Just as a little extra info, the horns on ships are not dependant on what type of vessel they are. They are related to the size of the vessel.

So a harbor tug and an incident response vessel of similar sizes can easily have very similar, even the same, horns.

Just FYI.

Fred

hmm, i guess you got a point there mad Fred, imagine me being the manager of vstep ;D, you have no idea how picky i would be about the game and how actuate  must be :o eg. right horn for the right ship or the amount of smoke produced for each vessel, textures such as how "clean" each ship would be, dynamics, how realistic the sea would be, fixing the errors on existing ships, production of new vessels, wake foam trail and big splashes, will it run fine on pcs? or even how many controls are avalibel on the bridge.....sorry im just very picky about this game and what goes into it, i just wanted to be perfect and very acruate to real life, but then along the way there is blocks such as will it run on pc if all that detail is put in it, is it easy to make all this possible, do we have a clear path to all this......But then SS08 is evolving slowly and that's a good to see and hear, i just hope one day i can play it real life so i can truly learn to overcome anything that the sea throws at me

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:14 »

As I've said previously, most of the vessels n Ship Simulator simply don't exist. There is no "Vermaas", no Latitude". They are representations and amalgamations of similar vessels. So how can anyone say "that is wrong", provided the meet maritime regulations?

You have to also remember that horns get changed quite often on ships. The latest one will sound diferent to the previous one. So the one you heard on a vessel when you played back a Youtube video will very rarely be the same as it is today. I change the hrns on my vessel about once every three years. They can never supply the same one as last time and the replacement is always very different. Last week I replaced the one on the vessel that I showed to Steiny. Instead of a single horn, it now has a small black box. I also have a set of replacements for my bigger boat (36 footer). That is a pair of twin air-powered horns. They are going to be much louder than the old single pipe version.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:19:18 »

As I've said previously, most of the vessels n Ship Simulator simply don't exist. There is no "Vermaas", no Latitude". They are representations and amalgamations of similar vessels. So how can anyone say "that is wrong", provided the meet maritime regulations?

You have to also remember that horns get changed quite often on ships. The latest one will sound diferent to the previous one. So the one you heard on a vessel when you played back a Youtube video will very rarely be the same as it is today. I change the hrns on my vessel about once every three years. They can never supply the same one as last time and the replacement is always very different. Last week I replaced the one on the vessel that I showed to Steiny. Instead of a single horn, it now has a small black box. I also have a set of replacements for my bigger boat (36 footer). That is a pair of twin air-powered horns. They are going to be much louder than the old single pipe version.

i wonder if they are loud enough for it to hear them all  the way from little ol' New Zealand ::), i never though of that, usually the horn of a ship stays the same for as long as the ship is in service thats as far as i know

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:08 »

It is quite possible for a ship to have two completely different whistles. On my very first ship, a long ,long time ago, (57 years to be precise.) the ship had two whistles. One was a steam whistle and the other an air horn. The sound emitting from each was totally different so which one was the "right" one. ???
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 21:20:28 »

With a lot of ship's horns they get replaced or rebuilt during the refits. They always have a different quality to the previous version. Different materials get used, the outer horn structure may be supported differently. Sometimes they get relocated for a variety of reasons. Ask any shipbuilder (my uncle was a shipbuilder all of his life. I often went to the yards to see how things were done).

Smaller ones get changed a lot. Salt air is ruinous of the horn mechanism, especially when you're travelling at 20-50 kts.. I change mine every few years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines