Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 16:16:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Controlling with a wheel  (Read 3918 times)

DaveP

• Forum member
Controlling with a wheel
« on: September 11, 2008, 19:23:20 »

I've just got Shipsim 2006. I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't operate the throttle with anything other than the keyboard selected as the controller. The wheel itself works, but the throttle only operates if the mouse is actually moving. As soon as I stop moving the mouse, the throttle returns to neutral. I've tried this on two different PCs - same thing. Patch 1.8 doesn't fix it either.

Does anyone know how to fix this please ?

firestar12

Re: Controlling with a wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 22:23:55 »

I've just got Shipsim 2006. I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't operate the throttle with anything other than the keyboard selected as the controller. The wheel itself works, but the throttle only operates if the mouse is actually moving. As soon as I stop moving the mouse, the throttle returns to neutral. I've tried this on two different PCs - same thing. Patch 1.8 doesn't fix it either.

Does anyone know how to fix this please ?
Hello and Welcome to the Forum! I Wish i could help you. Terry (TerryRussell) Should be here any minute to help you out. Terrys COOL! Hes like. Awesome. He should help you. Also this belongs in technical support. Terry can move it for you so dont bother. Have fun here!

Water Weasel

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 23:35:12 »

Hi DaveP,

I haven't played SS06 in while, however, I seem to recall that your choice of controllers is very limited. Try using the utility called 'JoyToKey'. It's a free utility that let's you assign key presses, etc. to your controller. Google joytokey and you can find a place to download it. It's easy to use, and it has a readme file that can help you.

Happy Sailing,

WW

DaveP

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 19:17:48 »

Thanks for the JoyToKey.  That works fine. Unfortunately the game can't be controlled just with the keyboard, since the keys don't act progressively - they just send the controls to maximum whilst they are pressed, and return to mid-position when released.  When the wheel is selected as the controller it is fully proportional, but then the the throttle doesn't work ! (And emulating the mouse with the joystick buttons can't fix this).

Although I can emulate the mouse movements using the joystick and use the mouse/keyboard option, it is virtually impossible to control anything this way because its so clumsy.

Any other thoughts please ? Or should I just open all the seacocks and let it sink !!!

Water Weasel

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:58:02 »

DaveP:

OK, I went into SS06 and looked at the settings for controls. Have you tried setting the contrller to Standard joystick instead of wheel? I don't know if the wheel works like the X axis on a joystick, but if it does, this might work for you.

WW

ArmyBoatie

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:13:06 »

Water Weasel just wanted to say I like your signature picture.  Are you CG in the RW.
Damn this water is cold

firestar12

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:55 »

Water Weasel just wanted to say I like your signature picture.  Are you CG in the RW.
Ahoy ArmieBoatie, this is a very old thread and it is not good to start up old threads without good reasoning. WaterWeasel has not been active in forever.

ArmyBoatie

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:26:06 »

Oh ok my apologies.  Will not happen ever again. :thumbs:
Damn this water is cold

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:39 »

Oh ok my apologies.  Will not happen ever again. :thumbs:
Take it easy! It is not that big of a deal you are new, you don't know! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines