Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 00:15:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Develop 2008 and Stop SSE  (Read 10042 times)

PI48895

• Forum member
Re: Develop 2008 and Stop SSE
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 15:34:43 »

Having been on the other end of software releases... it's a lot harder than it looks.  Trying to support the thousands of combinations of OS and hardware is VERY difficult.   As someone else pointed out, just ask MicroSoft how easy it is. 

We have to have patience. 

Looking forward to the next update and hoping the camera reset bug fix is included. 

CornishChris

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 17:32:24 »

And I have my profession at sea too, I'm even an officer, and I don't think I'm the only sailor on these forums. So maybe Stuart2007 should think twice, what he said is a pure insult.

Thank you Subwolf but lets not be go too hard on Stuart he is probably just a young homesick first tripper. I am sure you remember what that is like.

Stuart if you still have doubts then you can ask me anything you like as a sort of test question. Make it hard!
Try something on Astro navigation or "canal effect" or may transverse thrust on a single screw ship. Or you could ask me to explain the function of intercostal girders in the construction of a ship...... need I go on!

Sonny, I have captained ships through worse weather than you can ever imagine possible sitting at your computer and twindling your joystick.

When you have some experience then I will listen to you !

Trip4x4

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 19:00:26 »

I normally am quiet, and keep my comments to myself, however, being an I.T. guy (I would much rather work out on water, anyone here hiring?  ;D, I can move!) I am able to say, with professional experience backing me up, that  VSTEP is doing an amazing job. As previously mentioned, supporting the literally millions of variables, that is, different computers with different hardware, software, patches, peripherals, electricity conditioning (Yes, this can have a MASSIVE effect on computers), even down to the variances of which LCD or CRT someone is using can create utter chaos for developers.

Designing software to work with as many different combinations of hardware and software is a huge undertaking for any company, whether it’s Microsoft, or it’s VSTEP.  Just as there are many different combinations of computers, there are probably even more with the people themselves. There’s a lot of complaining that SSE has a lot of bugs. Of course it does. All software has bugs. In fact, many bug fixes create new or make other bugs more serious. What’s going on behind the scenes that nobody here sees (including myself) would boggle your mind, it’s not as simple as just writing a little bit of code here and there, then compiling it all into the game.

Long story short, cut VSTEP some slack – they have done an amazing job. Think about the big things, and thank VSTEP for the many things they have gotten right, rather than the small, tiny things that aren’t working properly yet. Although it is impossible to make perfect, it’ll get better and better, and I'm confident that VSTEP is cut out for the challenge.

VSTEP, I’d like to ask that you not listen to the complaining and the impatient people that don’t understand that this is a huge project, and can’t be completed in just a few hours. Please take your time, do what you do best, and remember that you’ve done an excellent job that few would even dare to try. Creating physics that do match the water and the weather isn’t something that is easy. Thanks for your good work.

Heikodewal

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 19:59:21 »

Designing software to work with as many different combinations of hardware and software is a huge undertaking for any company, whether it’s Microsoft, or it’s VSTEP.  Just as there are many different combinations of computers, there are probably even more with the people themselves. There’s a lot of complaining that SSE has a lot of bugs. Of course it does. All software has bugs. In fact, many bug fixes create new or make other bugs more serious. What’s going on behind the scenes that nobody here sees (including myself) would boggle your mind, it’s not as simple as just writing a little bit of code here and there, then compiling it all into the game.

You're quite right Trp4x4!!

But on the other hand, there is this concept of testing.
No software is bugfree, look at software from Microsoft. But at least they test it.... and after that they release it as alpha version to a select group of users to test.... and after that to a larger group of users as beta version.... and after that as release candidate to still a larger group. By the time it goes for sale it has been tested by a lot of people and the most annoying bugs are out.
Maybe VSTEP should have tested better and release a kind of betaversion. Maybe they should have told us that they couldn't make the release date.
After all, we all had to pay for something that is clearly not finished and everyone has the right to be disappointed and ventilate these feelings on these fora.
And yes we know that VSTEP will solve it in the end, but this is our way to put some pressure on the kettle.

Heiko

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 20:09:26 »

Heiko, the game was tested and bugs reported, but Vstep released it without fixing the bugs because of a deadline. That's the problem, and what makes me angry. And now I can't play much because the mission editor isn't released yet, which makes me even more angry ;)

CornishChris

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 20:13:25 »

You are quite right, they may be doing a fantastic job. But that is not the point.
The point is that software was released that was in no fit state for public comsumption, it should have been released to a select few experienced users for Beta testing.

I am concerned to see that no mention is made on the Ship Sim web site about the problems and that they are happy to collect money for more sales of an unready product.

I have no doubt that the bugs will be fixed and that features will be released and that in time all will be well. That is the time that software should be made available for sale.

2008 is a great product, a few errors, but by and large it works fine. This sets an expectation for users and they rush to spend their money on a new product.... only to have their hopes dashed.

I hope Ship Sim take notice of all this and make some effort to pacify an increasingly disatisfied group of users.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 20:22:55 »

Thank you Subwolf but lets not be go too hard on Stuart he is probably just a young homesick first tripper. I am sure you remember what that is like.

No problem Sir, but if I know Stuart right we can expect another tirade when he reads this, unless he's smart enough to behave for a change ;)

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 02:27:48 »

You should lock this topic! now! it is going to lead to a fight  :police: :angel: :angel:
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:47 »

This becomes now old news from you guy's.
You said your bad feelings about the Extreme version more than enough.Now its time to start give as we say"building-up critics",than your doing something possitive.
We are aware of what most have been,but it aint,at this time!This will change in the future.
Or just play the 2008 version,and leave that Extreme version of yours,for a few months in a locker somewere.
As i read your posts,you're more happy with the 2008 version anyway.
Extreme version is now about 3 weeks on the market,and since the first day untill now,you do nothing else than complaint about it.This will not help us at all.
The last time i say it now,they are busy to work on it.
Marc
N

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 13:19:43 »

Gentlemen, this is going nowhere and to prevent further bantering, let me close this thread for your own sake. Please fight your personal battles, or egotrips out through PM or through mail, not on the forum.

Locked.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines