Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:15:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of 'help' menu in SS  (Read 1213 times)

metman

• Forum member
Lack of 'help' menu in SS
« on: February 18, 2010, 16:40:21 »

Hi guys

Can anyone please advise whether there is a 'help' menu in SS08?  There are no hard copy instructions supplied with the game, and it was a sealed package when I purchased the software so if there were they couldn't have been taken.  I have tried to locate one by using the usual methods - function buttons etc - without success.  I have also tried the 'search' facility on the forum but without any luck.  I enjoy SS but have found out by trial and error what to do, and in some cases purely by accident - using the right button on the mouse allows the viewpoint to be changed for example!!  Notes in the Ship Sim Mag  have helped and also the 'instruction manual' I downloaded yesterday from the forum has added a bit more info.  But is there a VSTEP 'help' facility in SS itself??  Any help/pointers/tips would be most welcome, I would hate to think I'm missing out on something which would make SS just that little less frustrating - at times. 

In case anyone asks, I only play as a 'stand alone' - I'm a big enough hazard by myself without being let loose online and creating total chaos, fairground dodgems comes to mind!!!!

Regards

metman

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Lack of 'help' menu in SS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 17:07:28 »

Hi,

Thanks for downloading and reading the magazine. :)

Here are some links that may be of help:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/board,29.0.html - FAQ SS08

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/board,35.0.html - Tutorials Board

Hope they are of help!

In case anyone asks, I only play as a 'stand alone' - I'm a big enough hazard by myself without being let loose online and creating total chaos, fairground dodgems comes to mind!!!!

I think that you have more danger of being hit in missions than multiplayer, providing no rammers are on. :P

Mike

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 17:40:25 »

Hi Metman,

There is no “Help” menu in the simulator itself. Some manuals by VSTEP in PDF form are installed with the game.
You can find user-written manuals on various subjects here:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,2886.0.html

It is a good idea to read the bold blue topics at the top of each board, because they contain much useful information.
Learning to search the forum can be a great help, but it requires some skill in forming queries.
To get help in searching:
Click Help on the top ribbon in any forum page.
Click Searching at the right end of the ribbon on the Help page.

Regards,
Marty

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 16:10:15 »

thanks guys for your help, greatly appreciated.  I obviously didn't get the search 'questions' correctly worded - as everyone knows a curse of all 'search' facilities!!

Marty, you mentioned that VSTEP have put pdf's on the disc for the game, how do I get to them??

Regards

metman

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 19:21:31 »

Hi Metman,

You should find them in the Ship Simulator installation folder on your hard drive.
The easiest way to get there:
Right-click the icon that starts SS, and then click Properties.
Then click the Open File Location button.

Regards,
Marty

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 16:05:40 »

Thanks Marty, wll try that and let you know how I get on!!

Regards

metman

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 16:09:33 »

Found, downloaded, read - many, many thanks Marty, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Metman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines