Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 17:49:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you think fixing the game is more important than new content?

Yes, fix the problems.
- 29 (67.4%)
I like it as it is.
- 3 (7%)
No, give me content.
- 11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 25, 2008, 07:37:17

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Sim 2008 - Why add more content?  (Read 2946 times)

Viper01

• Forum member
Ship Sim 2008 - Why add more content?
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:37:17 »

I keep seeing posts popping up all over for new content.  People want more ships, more harbors, more oceans, etc.  Personally I would like to see the team work on the stuff that's currently in desperate need of repair.  Here's a short list of the things that I came up with which are necessary to fix BEFORE we can actually call this a "simulator".  Unfortunately, almost everything in this list will require a total rebuild of the game engine (I think anyway)...

1.  Most importantly, WAVE DYNAMICS.  I have never seen waves as "perfect" as the ones that are in this game.  They all have the same spacing, all from the same direction, as static as possible.  There isn't even a slight possibility of a rogue wave!  Unfortunately that makes this simulator about as realistic as a $3 bill.  Even before ship designs hit the drawing board the water dynamics should have been the MOST IMPORTANT aspect looked at.  They should have been researched and emulated, instead of feeling like an afterthought.  The game seriously makes me believe that the program designers have never even been in a boat.

2.  Currents are lacking heavily.  Living on the great lakes I KNOW what happens when a 1000ft freighter passes by.  It sure as hell isn't as calm as this game makes it look.  They have a heavy bow wave, raise tide levels rapidly, and after they pass the tides drop just as fast.  Also, natural currents push against vessels.  I'm not sure about you, but I can't recall the last time I shut my engines off in a boat and actually stayed put.

3.  Storm dynamics need improved greatly!  Having a maximum wave height of 4m on the open ocean is just ridiculous.  During a storm waves can easily hit 10m or more.  That's what people who play a "Ship Simulator" want to be able to experience!  (note the "perfect storm" topic)

4.  If you're going to let us walk around, let us walk around.  Don't limit us to a very small area of the boat while showing us that there are other places we could go if we weren't limited (ex. ferry car deck).

5.  Make more items dynamic.  What's the use of showing a ship at a dock if you can't go in and tow it with your tug?  I found running around with the tug that there is very little (unless your in a mission) that you can actually go and tow.  Toss in a little AI to deal with boats that the user decides to tow away or push around.

The list goes on, but those are the MAJOR fixes needed before I think we can consider this a "Simulator" and not just a game.  Honestly Vstep, if you're not going to get serious you're better off offering the game to Micro$oft since they did such a great job with their Train and Flight sims.

Feel free to voice what you think needs improved...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 15:15:18 by Viper01 »

Subwolf

• Forum member
Re: Ship Sim 2008 - Why add more content?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 15:40:16 »

I think you demand a little too much here, you can't expect waves in a computer game to look exactly like the real thing. And the waves do come from the same direction, they follow the wind direction of course, but I understand what you mean.

The best looking waves I know of must be in the uboat game Silent Hunter III, they got rid of those synchronized tops we got here.

But I don't know about any major problems with SS08, and in my opinion the release of new environments and ships is way more important.

Razgo

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:26:58 »

I certainly agree there should be currents with actual tides. Also add a few rips. Not much point in throwing the anchor out if it doesn't do much.

Viper01

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:36:09 »

While I do respect your opinion Subwolf, I must say that when you call something a "Simulator" you should expect things to be done well.  If this was just called Ships 2008, it's current form would be acceptable.  Wave dynamics aren't something new.  I can think of many games that had simple wave dynamics that were WAY more realistic than what we're using here.  Here are a few examples.

Waverace 64 - Released in 1996

Hydro Thunder - Released in 1999

Jetboat Superchamps - Released in 1999

Jetboat Superchamps 2 - Released in 2002

Silent Hunter 3 - Released in 2005

Not to mention numerous fishing games that I've played.  In short, wave dynamics aren't anything new.  Perhaps I'm a little overboard asking for currents, but I don't think improving the waves so they properly reflect reality is too much to ask.  It's true that waves USUALLY follow the wind direction in open oceans, but they are almost NEVER as perfect as the oscilloscope-style waves we're being given.  As well, the limit on wave height (as I stated before) just isn't even close to realism and, I assume, was only put in place because the current "engine" generates horrible looking waves if they're over 4m high.

Remember, I'm basing my complaint on the fact that they call this a SIMULATOR.  If something is called a simulator, then it should attempt to simulate the real experience (or in this case the water dynamics + ship handling) as closely as possible.  With realistic wave dynamics released as early as 1996, that's over 10 years ago, there's really no excuse for this simulator to not have them in place.

We had these cheap waves in SS2006, and now in SS2008, so why would I even contemplate buying SS2009 (or whatever one is next) if they don't intend on fixing it?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:50:51 by Viper01 »

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:08:39 »

im not buying the next ship sim till im happy they have made enough progerss for me to buy it

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:28:32 »

im not buying the next ship sim till im happy they have made enough progerss for me to buy it

yes, mee to. i will stay at ss08 until there will be seen posts here that major improvements are done. a just graphical thunderstorm is not worth the payment when the majority will be the same.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:39:11 »

We had these cheap waves in SS2006, and now in SS2008, so why would I even contemplate buying SS2009 (or whatever one is next) if they don't intend on fixing it?

If you bother to read the forums you will note that VSTEP are currently developing a new ocean system for ship sim 09. So you're requests have been met in terms of realism ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 19:33:46 »

If you bother to read the forums you will note that VSTEP are currently developing a new ocean system for ship sim 09. So you're requests have been met in terms of realism ;)

And storms, rouge waves, tsunami's, and funnels are being added to the game also.  ;D

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 22:46:13 »

And storms, rouge waves, tsunami's, and funnels are being added to the game also.  ;D

Funnels? we already have them... unless you mean tornadoes

Razgo

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 22:52:51 »

and currents and rips are being added?

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 22:53:09 »

The new patch makes the sea look pretty realistic, but it's not with waves at 4m. But what can you expect from a 40 Euro game? I remember games like FSX was twice that amount. SS08 runs okay, graphics are not the best quality, but I'd like more port environments before they start wasting time on minor issues.

But a new much better and improved SS09 must be their first priority, it it's as real as it gets I'll pay 80 Euros no problem ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 23:23:21 »

Funnels? we already have them... unless you mean tornadoes

Tornadoes/Hurricanes = Sea Funnel

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:04 »

Tornadoes/Hurricanes = Sea Funnel

I hope VSTEP add a demonstration movie of that thing on their YouTube channel. I can imagine what this will do with a small boat :D

SirXpression

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 19:35:06 »

....nothing apart from sink it
That Damn Scotsman

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 17:39:10 »

Thats a tough vote to cast because I like content and I've learned to live with problems. :-\
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 17:47:09 »

same i want more ships and more ports
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines