Hello Guest June 29, 2024, 20:18:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More challenging ship sim  (Read 1372 times)

wisemenkom

• Forum member
More challenging ship sim
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:58:54 »

I really enjoy ship sim and all of its new features. But I have to admitt there isn't much challenge. I would like to see a sim developed focusing on the most dangerous and challenging time for any ships officers. That would be River transits and docking. To keep it simple I would like to see a Harbor Pilot sim. This sim should include every daunting task these most experienced mariners face while guiding ships to and from there berth. I am a licensed mariner and know from experience the magnatude of competence it takes to navigate a large ship up a narrow channel with few points to pass and areas barely wide enough for one ship to transit. The St.Johns River in Jacksonville, Florida is a perfect example. This sim should also include the Panama Canal. Has anyone ever heard of Texas chicken? These are the challenges I would like to see in future sims.
L. Davis

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: More challenging ship sim
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:00:44 »

Hi Wisemenkom,

Well, as there are both very large ships, a pilot vessel, a mission editor and a lot of environments were daunting tasks such as the ones you describe could be created, there is no reason why this sim could not be challenging for you, I think.

You can create narrower points by using AI traffic and Static Objects the right way. And there's plenty of opportunities in the present environments to get in big trouble allready in the first place.

With a bit of creative mission building, there's a lot that can be done. I don't know if you gave the editor a try yet, but I would recommend it. It's a great tool.. if you have the creativity and are willing to spend an hour or two learning how to use it, it will pay off for sure. Plus as an added bonus, you can share them and then we can all enjoy it too!  :)

You can grab it here, in case you haven't got it and are interested. You'll have to run at least V1.1 thought.
http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php

(Note, you have to install V1.1 first, then the editor, then the V1.3 version. Or else you might experience some odd behaviour in the new mission editor that comes with V1.3. This is soon to be fxed though with a coming update)

Of course everyone has an opinion about what ship/area/feature should be added and yours are good suggestions. But there's thousands of them floating around on here. There's just so much good stuff that "should be in future versions", they wouldn't know where to start..   ;D

Regards,
Fred

wisemenkom

• Forum member
Re: More challenging ship sim
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:58:54 »

You made a good point. I will give creating my own missions a try.
L. Davis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines