Hello Guest June 09, 2024, 04:27:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nautical Speed Limits  (Read 1668 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Nautical Speed Limits
« on: March 09, 2009, 20:45:07 »

Okay I have a couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know what the speed limit is for Portsmouth Harbour? I know that the Ferries/FastCats are slow until they leave the harbour then speed up, but I wondered if anyone knew the speed limit.

2) How are nautical speed limits indicated in general? I know in marinas that they have a road-like signal, but for larger harbours, are there any indications, or would a local pilot be placed onboard who would know...?

Many Thanks,

The Ferry Man

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Nautical Speed Limits
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 20:55:01 »

All I can find is 10knts in portsmouth harbor.

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 22:18:42 »

The speed limits are more complex than that. There are various channels and areas with their own limits. It also depends on the size and purpose of the vessel.

Full list is here: http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/regulations-speed-limits/

All of the Solent harbours, rivers and creeks have their own limits. Some show the limits at the entry (Beaulieu River for example), but many don't. As a skipper of the vessel it is your responsibility to find out in advance.

I don't use a Pilot, since my vessel is just below the size for which they are required. But I must still obey the limits.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 22:22:18 by TerryRussell »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 22:25:23 »

The speed limits are more complex than that. There are various channels and areas with their own limits. It also depends on the size and purpose of the vessel.

Full list is here: http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/regulations-speed-limits/

All of the Solent harbours, rivers and creeks have their own limits. Some show the limits at the entry (Beaulieu River for example), but many don't. As a skipper of the vessel it is your responsibility to find out in advance.

I don't use a Pilot, since my vessel is just below the size for which they are required. But I must still obey the limits.

I see. Thanks for your information, Terry, most appreciated.  :)

So a ferry in Portsmouth would be required to travel at 10 knots inside the harbour limits.

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 22:30:32 »

Unless it was more than 1,000 metres/yards from the nearest shore. As Portsmouth Harbour is very large, that is possible.

Why, are you planning to take your ferry into the harbour?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 22:37:31 »

Unless it was more than 1,000 metres/yards from the nearest shore. As Portsmouth Harbour is very large, that is possible.

Why, are you planning to take your ferry into the harbour?

I have a whole fleet of ferries up my sleeve waiting  :evil:

Seriously,  I was just intrigued, I knew there was a limit, but I didn't know what it was.

Hopefully, in SS2010, we will get Portsmouth Ferry Terminal so I can bring the PoR into Portsmouth properly...

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 22:44:51 »

The next harbour eastwards (Langstone) is 10 kts but with unrestricted areas for waterskiiing. The next is Chichester Harbour (where I keep my boats). That is 8 kts, with lower limits in the entrances to many of the marinas (6kts into Chichester Marina, dropping to 4 in the loch entrance).

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:35:49 »

There's also a set of books that, by law, all commercial vessels must carry (I think its about 15 books when I saw them last) that state pretty much everything you need to know about the ports that, that certain vessel will be departing from and arriving at. I had a read of some of them (at the Nautical College), they tell you speed limits in particular areas, what sort of vessels are there, what to be aware of etc.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 13:15:36 »

I think Jack is referring to the Admiralty Pilot Books, which cover the whole world.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines