Hello Guest May 21, 2024, 04:27:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lots of Newbie Questions and a few Wish List items  (Read 11577 times)

Barnacle

• Forum member
Re: Lots of Newbie Questions and a few Wish List items
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 11:30:06 »

Guys,

I think most people are concerned about security, and if they're not they should be.  I have a firewall, an antivirus program, and programs that check for spyware and other malware.

I don't care whether SS updates my profile with mission completions, although the function ought to be documented better.  I was simply curious.

Barnacle

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 11:34:11 »

Hiya Barnacle :)

Like you, I'm also concerned about security on my PC.  I run all the usual programs, except a separate spyware program, because it's built-in to my Internet Security package.  I also have a broadband router, with built-in security (you can never be too careful) ;)

This guide may point you in the right direction for Rank/Mission-time uploading:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3469.0.html

Regards.

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 11:38:17 »

Hmm I have never had a virus and I only have windows firewall and windows defender.  :-\ But I am just a safe surfer and don't click ad's that say YOU ARE THE 1,000TH VISITOR!

TerryRussell

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 12:09:00 »

Well, I am very paranoid, then. I don't trust any single spyware program to catch them all. I have all my machines set up to run several different programs, which scan the PC at scheduled times.

It amazes me that some of the most expensive programs will miss some spyware or other nasties that the freebies will pick up. For me Spybot and Adaware are worth their weight in gold.

I have also hardened the registries (by setting permissions to only allow change access if I turn it on, manually). But that is extreme and you really need to be fluent in the language of Registry.

But, we have never had a virus or worm or trojan on any PC under my control (quite a lot of those around). The spyware is always there of course. It affects Internet explorer and Firefox equally (no matter what the  FF users may claim  ;D.

But what is "spyware"? Some programs claim that every cookie you have (even when they are useful and don't do anything except remember your preferences) is spyware. So long as a cookie doesn't report back to any other site than the one I visited and so long as it only stores information that the site owner could have collected as I viewed the pages, I'm not concerned. But you have make your own decision as to where you draw the line.

Barnacle

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 14:18:20 »

Guys, it seems to me that a healthy respect for the dangers of spy-ware, ad-ware, other mal-ware, and hackers is not paranoia--the bad guys, like it or not, are out there.

I have a firewall built into my router, and I use (in alpha order) Ad-Aware, Norton Antivirus, PCPitstop Optimize, Registry Mechanic, and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Many run weekly via Task Scheduler; I run the others weekly, more often if it seems appropriate.  They all catch something the others have missed, no matter what order I run them in.  That's because they all have different algorithms and look for slightly different things.

No, not all cookies are bad.  They're very convenient for things like identifying you to web sites so you don't need to log in every time.  The programs I use leave those cookies alone.  Some cookies, however, keep track of what sites you go to--and report the information to people who generate ads.  My programs identify those cookies and delete them.  PC Pitstop Optimize also gets rid of unneeded stuff like temporary files, and thereby helps performance.

I'm not recommending these specific programs:  choose what you will.  In fact I may be changing my choices as subscriptions come up for renewal.  But protect yourself, guys.  It's not paranoia, it's just smart.

Barnacle

TerryRussell

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 14:36:57 »

But I suspect that the paranoid label could be applied to a person who does a sector edit in binary, to scan for changes to boot sector and for root kit types of changes. And who as a matter of weekly routine, reviews the 13 key locations in the Registry that are concerned with startup program launching.

Hey! That's me.  ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2008, 14:41:25 »

I tend to be paranoid about cookies etc........I delete them every day, always have ;D

I also clean all my temp files, temp internet files, and history every day ;)

Carl.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Barnacle

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2008, 15:36:07 »

Carl, I don't think you're paranoid.  Neurotic, maybe, but not paranoid. ;D

Terry, I'm not technical enough to know what the programs I use do in looking at the boot sector, registry, etc.  But I suspect that some of them do everything you mention.  If you want to take the time to do that stuff... that's up to you.  I don't know how and don't want to know how.  That's why they make off-the-shelf programs! 8)

The thing is...in this world, ya gotta protect yourself!

Barnacle

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2008, 17:22:59 »

i just use nod32 that allways seems to catch them for me

TerryRussell

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2008, 17:56:57 »

But being cautious (I don't want to get Barnacle worried about me using the word "paranoid" ;D), how do you know about the ones you don't know about?

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2008, 18:00:23 »

simple i dont but i run a check ever week end and vita dose it own thing havent had any problems so it must be working

Barnacle

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2008, 18:32:50 »

Yup, Terry, you're paranoid.  Just didn't want to rush my diagnosis.  ;D

Barnaclw

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 19:11:30 »

Carl, I don't think you're paranoid.  Neurotic, maybe, but not paranoid. ;D

Uh oh, he's figured me out already :o :o

* [RWP]DJM hides

;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2008, 19:34:29 »

Yup, Terry, you're paranoid.  Just didn't want to rush my diagnosis.  ;D

Barnaclw

Just because your Antispyware didn't find anything, that doesn't mean that your antispyware isn't spying on you....

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2008, 20:55:16 »

Hi all,
It seems I started a bit of a situation with my comment about llamalord.

If anyone has taken offence then I'm sorry.

The reason for the comment was llamalord's answer to Barnacles question which was,
"Does the program go on the internet and tell tales?

The answer was;
You could say that, Yet no one seems to care. :-\

It looked to me like llamalord was implying that SS08 might be spying on him but he wasn't sure.
Which seemed to me was a bit paranoid.
If anyone has taken offence then, as I said, I apologise.  :-[

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2008, 21:15:53 »

if people are worryed that there ship simulator is spying on them then must live there life in fear  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 21:29:09 by pauljanaway1 »

Barnacle

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 21:28:21 »

Dave, I certainly wasn't offended, and I doubt anyone else was either.  If you can't zap your friends from time to time...who can you zap? ;D

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 21:30:51 »

allthough the internet can be a dangoruse place with many people out there trying to steal your infomation and all sorts of nasty things but if you use your head most people will never come across such things

TerryRussell

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 22:20:54 »

Hi all,
It seems I started a bit of a situation with my comment about llamalord.

If anyone has taken offence then I'm sorry.

Offence? Don't be daft. I thought we were having a good giggle about this, while simultaneously wagging our moralistics fingers.  ;D  ;D

Anyway, when you're as mad as I am, an accusation of paranoia would be quite a compliment.  ;D

And how do you know that your antispyware program isn't spying on you?  ;)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 22:22:49 »

your stating to make me paranoid now i keep hearing noises out side

TerryRussell

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2008, 22:26:36 »

;D ;D

pauljanaway1

• Forum member