Hello Guest May 17, 2024, 20:30:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lights  (Read 11179 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: lights
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 01:50:49 »

Most of my travels on ships have been on long distance ferries- mostly (yes, you guessed) PO Bilbao. I've never seen the deck lights extinguished externally.

I'm not saying this to contradict you as you clearly know the subject better than I! Just saying what I've seen. The only time I've ever encountered such rules was on the old P&O (cruises) Arcadia.

One Q...  If they extinguish all outer deck lights what happens when someone goes out on deck for a walk and can't see where the're going? :)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 07:19:50 »

Most of my travels on ships have been on long distance ferries- mostly (yes, you guessed) PO Bilbao. I've never seen the deck lights extinguished externally.

I'm not saying this to contradict you as you clearly know the subject better than I! Just saying what I've seen. The only time I've ever encountered such rules was on the old P&O (cruises) Arcadia.

One Q...  If they extinguish all outer deck lights what happens when someone goes out on deck for a walk and can't see where the're going? :)

Hi Stu!

Of course some of the less powerfull decklights are left on to light up the promenade decks for the passengers, but the forecastle- and poop-decklights as well as the spotlights should be off. Then there will always be different interpretations of how to comply with the rules, and this is probably why you see all these lights on...  ;)

Regards
groennegaard

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 11:54:49 »

OK. Thanks. In fairness, the spotlights are turned off after leaving port. Still brightly lit though.

I wasn't meaning that sarcastically, BTW.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 21:49:42 »

Just a quick note.

There is another topic running about lights- I've closed it and kept this one open, but might still be worth a look if interested.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1700.0/topicseen.html

Stu

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:03 »

hmm there should be like small little "doors" on the windows that u can close with a switch maybe  :D

There are on P&O ships, especially on the lower decks - they're closed in rough seas etc - not sure if they're closed to stop light leakage.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:59:21 »

Light leakage???  :o

lx585x

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:17 »

Light leakage???  :o

he meant leakage of light i think lol  ;)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 16:02:58 »

The  navigation lights carried by the pilot launch in the game are those for a pilot v/l "Not under way". Since the vessel in the game is usually under way she should also be showing red and green side lights to comply with the International Rules. Without the side lights it is not possible to know how she is heading when seen by other vessels. :o
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 16:30:55 »

The  navigation lights carried by the pilot launch in the game are those for a pilot v/l "Not under way". Since the vessel in the game is usually under way she should also be showing red and green side lights to comply with the International Rules. Without the side lights it is not possible to know how she is heading when seen by other vessels. :o

Hi Traddles!  :)

All the navigation lights will be updated in the next patch and the pilot vessel will show it's sidelights when it is under way. The lights will not be perfect though, as this requires further development of the sim to get e.g. the right amount of masthead lights when towing, anchor lights, not under command lights and so on. I am sure that they will come, just don't expect them to be in the next patch.  ;)

Regards
groennegaard

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 21:05:30 »

On most merchant ships the deck lights are turned off at night as not to hamper navigation, however the external accomodation lights to the side and rear are left on for the safety of the crew. As a general rule the crew should not be on the main deck at night so no lights are required. The only time i illuminated the deck flood lights, and indeed any light that was no the deck was when travelling through pirate infested areas such as the malacca straits in indonesia, to help spot any unwanted boarding parties and to act as a deterant.
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 21:08:00 »

The only time i illuminated the deck flood lights, and indeed any light that was no the deck was when travelling through pirate infested areas such as the malacca straits in indonesia, to help spot any unwanted boarding parties and to act as a deterant.

That sounds very scary.  Does that happen often then?

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 21:17:21 »

more than the general public are are aware of, personally i have never been boarded but have known people who have. Piracy is actually getting worse in some areas. For example here is a recent warning ;

'PIRATE ACTIVTY IN EAST AFRICA >>Reports emerging from East Africa indicate that a St Vincent and the Grenadines flagged cargo M/V Reef Azania is missing while under way to Seychelles from Dubai. Crew members on board are composed of 4 Asian & 8 Tanzanian nationals. The vessel was expected to call Seychelles before heading to Zanzibar. The vessel lost contact since June 24th.This is the 3rd ocean-going vessel reported missing under mysterious circumstance along the Indian Ocean in a span of one month. A Panama-flagged cargo vessel has gone missing in Somalia's pirate-infested waters. The M/V Infinity Marine 1 disappeared 37 nautical miles off the northeastern village of Ras Hafun in late June. The vessel, sailing from the United Arab Emirates, was carrying general cargo including food stuffs, iron sheet, generators, batteries, white wood & light vehicles. Four vessels - one from Taiwan, another from Denmark and two from South Korea - are already currently in the hands of pirates off the coast of war-torn Somalia. (Sun. July 22 2007)
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 21:21:51 »

Now that has surprised me, in all honesty I never knew it was that bad.  Kinda scary really to think that is still going on in the 21st Century :-\

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 21:24:55 »

the above post is more dramatic than usual, but never the less frightening, this is last moths reports which show the usual trend:

WEEKLY IMB PIRATE REPORTS ___ Only 10% of Attacks Reported __

12 July 2007: 1555 UTC: Chittagong anchorage 'B', Bangladesh. Six pirates, armed with knives, boarded an anchored container ship. D/O raised the alarm, all crew mustered & chased the robbers. Robbers stole ship's stores & escaped. (Sat. July 21 2007)

11 July 2007: 0500 LT: Belawan anchorage, Indonesia. Duty crew, on an anchored chemical tanker, spotted a pirate on the forecastle deck. The OOW was informed and the alarm raised. The robber jumped overboard & escaped in an unlit boat. Later ships stores were found missing. (Sat. July 21 2007)

10 July 2007: 0245 UTC: Posn 12:59N 049:17E 90 nm North of Somali northern coast, Gulf of Aden. A tug, underway, observed a dhow type-fishing vessel on her port side proceeding on a reciprocal course -- fishing vessel altered & started coming closer to tug. As tug altered course, fishing vessel altered her course & increased speed as well. Once the tug increased speed, the fishing vessel aborted the attempt. (Sat. July 21 2007)

08 Juy 2007: 1842 LT: Posn 00:19:0N - 050:45:0E, Somalia. OOW on a container ship, underway, spotted small craft at distance of 13nm on starboard bow. The craft increased speed & headed directly for the ship. The Master was notified and the ship carried out evasive maneuvers. Craft adjusted course & speed to close onto the ship. The Master ordered all lights to be switched off & increased speed. Distance between the craft & ship slowly decreased, however, later the craft moved away. (Sat. July 21 2007)

20 July 2007: 1930 LT: Posn 13:21N 052:21.2E, Somalia. An unlit craft approached a bulk carrier, underway from her starboard bow. The Master continuously altered course; the craft also adjust her course & speed. Later the ship spotted another unlit craft, which also started adjusting course & speed towards the ship. The Master notified all crew & took maximum precautions. This continued for about 2.5 hours before the small crafts aborted their attempt. (Sat. July 21 2007)

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 21:26:58 »

has all the hallmarks for a ship sim mission, avoid the pirate's attempt to board  ;)

sorry for going off topic  ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 21:32:09 »

has all the hallmarks for a ship sim mission, avoid the pirate's attempt to board  ;)

sorry for going off topic  ;)

I agree, would be a great mission :)

It was my fault that this went off-topic, so I apologise for that ;)

Regards.

DJM.

eyrebrush

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 19:09:22 »

Hi all.
Ummmmm! I’m a bit afraid of this being a bit too long! I just hope a don’t bore you with this attempt to introduce myself and voice my first concern with Ship Simulator.

I am a new member here, and I am still feeling my way around! I purchased the Ship simulator in the hope that I could re-enact many of my past experiences and pleasures on real boats and ships, and possibly further my experience of handling vessels of all kinds in my dotage! Lol! I have to say that I did not choose the sea for my career. I’m actually a retired art teacher (lol), but I have gained much through study and experience of the sea, of sailing and navigation, with owning a couple of small vessels in my time, and had many exciting and interesting experiences with them. I am hoping that by registering my purchase and joining your discussion groups I might further my enjoyment both by communicating with like minded people and in contributing to further development of Ship Simulator.

I have several points of interest to offer for the future development of this wonderful Ship Simulator program. I live in Merseyside, England, and ever since I was a youngster I have always been a lover of boats and ships, and have had close contacts with people who live and work on the river Mersey, and made many friends over the years with tug crews, ferry crews and officers/captains. I have had the experience – and pleasure – of being a guest on the bridges, during both day and night passages, on many of these vessels – even been on the helm for an hour or two at a time!

I also, since I retired from teaching, have built a couple of scale models of local vessels, an Isle of Man steamer and a Birkenhead ferry steamer, radio controlled, with lights.

It is this question of LIGHTS that I want to discuss. All the conversation so far in this topic has been about general lights about the ship. What I have found wanting in this Ship simulator so far is the lack of NAVIGATION lights on other ships – as seen by us from the vessel we are controlling. Yes, deck lights, portholes, etc. of another ship should all be visible from our own bridge. However, if one just sees a mass of lights in a bunch on the horizon it is either a fixed structure like an oil or gas platform or a vessel moving away from you; you’re looking directly at its stern or stern quarters.

However, if that other vessel is under way and is moving across your bows and maybe moving towards you, you would see it’s BRIGHTER white navigation lights on its mast-heads or superstructure ABOVE the deck lights! These are of paramount importance, and are obligatory on every ship. They should be visible at a distance of 30 sea miles – possibly more from a very high bridge. Those two power lights display to you that vessel’s direction of travel in relation to your own, giving you ample time to ponder any diversion of course, if needed, to prevent a collision. Their port and starb’d lights should be visible at a distance of 10 to 15 miles.

Also, the bouys on either side of a channel would be lit up – green lights on the starb’d hand when viewed on entering, with red on the port side.

I really do miss these important features in Ship Simulator.

Ronnie.

mvsmith

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 20:29:30 »

Hi Ronnie,
If you have a recent version of Ship Simulator 2008—v1.4.2 is the latest—you will notice that both Static and AI vessels show navigation lights at night.

Some vessels that you may see moored in harbors will not show nav lights for one of two reasons: The lights on Static and Player ships are not lit when they are not underway. Some ships in harbors are eye candy—permanent parts of the environment like buildings.

Ships will also show special masthead light configurations when towing, fishing, etc.
Some buoys are also lit.
Regards,
Marty

The posts preceding yours in that topic were about a year old. Much has changed in the simulator since then.
The best way to find out what the simulator is capable of is simply to experiment with it.
You can also construct your own missions, which can be very simple ones for the purpose of investigating some particular behavior. You can download a Mission Editor Tutorial in PDF form from here:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2886.0.html

Even if you don’t want to create missions, the tutorial explains many aspects of the simulator.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 20:45:45 by mvsmith »

Matty88

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 04:08:20 »

How Do U make ur own lights

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:02 »

It is difficult, leave it for the pros! There is really no easy way of doing it unless you have some of VSTEP's tools.

(BTW this topic is like 2 years old)

TJK

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2009, 06:36:01 »

How Do U make ur own lights

Hi Matty88 welcome to the forum
It's not a problem to make lights to ships if you know how, you can use the notepad in windows to do so.
Go here to the germane forum and you get some hint and tips and help to do so, they have a English section in the forum to. Good luck with you light building, and you can also download light to the most of the ships on this forum. Here the link http://schiffsim-welt.marcnet.eu/Forum/
So AA you don't need expensive tools from V-step only the notepad in windows to make lights to ships, and it's a  loved to from v-step
TJK

It is difficult, leave it for the pros! There is really no easy way of doing it unless you have some of VSTEP's tools.

(BTW this topic is like 2 years old)
and so watt if new members don't know,  were the polite AA that started so kind and are beginning to be the old nasty on, hope the kind one come here again weary soon
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:40:24 by TJK »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 06:43:54 »

TJK, if you want exact placement it would be much easier to use a VSTEP tool then guessing 500 times to get it right.. I am just saying if your not experienced editing games and such it is probably going to be too much work.

TJK

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2009, 06:55:18 »

only file you most edit are *.LGT fail in the ships folder, I started on Titanic but gave up after a wile it's to mush work thats root, but small ship are easy and simple to make, but why build they are already their in the forum. and i don't think v-step use special tools for building lights to the ship, then wee had them already.
Try you self on pilot boat and see how fun it is
TJK

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2009, 07:06:23 »

only file you most edit are *.LGT fail in the ships folder, I started on Titanic but gave up after a wile it's to mush work thats root, but small ship are easy and simple to make, but why build they are already their in the forum. and i don't think v-step use special tools for building lights to the ship, then wee had them already.
Try you self on pilot boat and see how fun it is
TJK

VSTEP has 10 in-house programs for doing things like that.

TJK

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2009, 07:10:37 »

VSTEP has 10 in-house programs for doing things like that.

It most be wonderful to be 15 year and know everything in the world  :doh: :evil: and have nothing to learn, mr perfect
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines