Hello Guest May 21, 2024, 04:09:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm back from New York City (the Big Apple)  (Read 31655 times)

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 19 day(s)
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 17:10:56 »

enjoy new york as you will always be moving in that city lol......

and your gonna enjoy the night life it is awesome i mean time square at midnight is the best thing you can see

I have to attend a NYC meeting tonight at 7:00pm in my high school's libary. 
All ahead full!

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2009, 17:18:48 »

I have to attend a NYC meeting tonight at 7:00pm in my high school's libary. 
oh you go in high school we go in the 8th grade which would be next year for me

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 16:45:28 »

oh you go in high school we go in the 8th grade which would be next year for me

I'm currently in grade 11, and next year is my last year at high school.
All ahead full!

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 15 day(s)
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 17:03:39 »

I have a big concern about my money.  I don't want to get robbed while in NYC.
All ahead full!

TerryRussell

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2009, 21:16:54 »

Some tips, from someone who spends a lot of his time roaming the globe:

1) only carry what you need. Enough to stop a mugger being really upset that you don't have enough, but not so much that you have nothing left if you do get robbed.

2) You're much more likely to loose your money than be robbed. Be careful.

3) Use zip-up pockets and keep your valuables in an inside pocket, out of sight.

4) Split your cards and money into different pockets. That way if you get pickpocketed or mugged or loose something, you have half of your valuable left, most likely.

5) Don't carry things that identify you or your hotel. If you loose them, the finder/thief will get there before you do!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2009, 22:51:43 »

It's a sorry state of affairs, when advice is given aboot how to protect your money when visiting the Big A..
Nevertheless, I hope you have a good time.. :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2009, 23:09:12 »

I think those tips apply when visiting anywhere. I try to follow them when I go out from home, never mind to another country.  ;)

But being sensible means that despite having travelled to just about every country in the world, I have never been mugged, held up, robbed, had my pockets picked nor lost very much.

And I've been to some fairly rough places. Portsmouth, Selsey,....

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 23:48:50 »

yea the city (as we call it here in my area) can be a rough place, as terry said just play it smart, keep your big valuables at home is best, dont even bring them, but if you do always keep them in sight and like terry said spread your things out, one of my friends got pick pocketed today in school, the kids stole his iPod and when someone steals it, you'll never see it again, so just a heads up  ;)

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2009, 16:48:43 »

Some tips, from someone who spends a lot of his time roaming the globe:

1) only carry what you need. Enough to stop a mugger being really upset that you don't have enough, but not so much that you have nothing left if you do get robbed.

2) You're much more likely to loose your money than be robbed. Be careful.

3) Use zip-up pockets and keep your valuables in an inside pocket, out of sight.

4) Split your cards and money into different pockets. That way if you get pickpocketed or mugged or loose something, you have half of your valuable left, most likely.

5) Don't carry things that identify you or your hotel. If you loose them, the finder/thief will get there before you do!

Thanks for the tips, Terry.  I may get a money belt, but I am still discussing this with my father.  Number four as you said is the same tip suggested by the teacher who planned this trip, Ms. Buckingham, when I went to the NYC meeting on Monday at my high school. 
All ahead full!

TerryRussell

Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 14 day(s)
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 18:25:37 »

All this is good stuff to remember even if you go the road at home. Minimise your potential for losses.

But, as I said, your chances of being robbed, pick pocketed, etc are pretty small. The chance of loosing it yourself are much greater!

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 03:53:05 »

well how much does your trip cosy cause for all of my things put into it inlcuding the money i need to take for like gifts and stuff is gonna be around 2700 pretty good once i get into the meetings and such which wont be till next year beginning of the school year i will give you more info

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 16:59:02 »

well how much does your trip cosy cause for all of my things put into it inlcuding the money i need to take for like gifts and stuff is gonna be around 2700 pretty good once i get into the meetings and such which wont be till next year beginning of the school year i will give you more info

The trip costs $800 US (transportation, citypass, food for the last night in Manhattan, the hotel, etc.)  I've currently saved up 75.00 dollars Canadian and plan to get it transferred into American dollars when the date of the trip is near.  I'll need money to purchase my own meals except for the last night in NYC and for gifts.
All ahead full!

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 00:27:24 »

The trip costs $800 US (transportation, citypass, food for the last night in Manhattan, the hotel, etc.)  I've currently saved up 75.00 dollars Canadian and plan to get it transferred into American dollars when the date of the trip is near.  I'll need money to purchase my own meals except for the last night in NYC and for gifts.
agian that is a good price but we really cant complain here because again for only 2400 we get a roundtrip ticket from lax to well im not sure yet then like the bus tickets and such and like tours and tickets into attractions. oh we also go to the hershey factory, white house, capitol hill, and all of the nations monuments like the lincoln, washington, etc.

Master Captain

• Forum member
Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 13 day(s)
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 02:07:17 »

sounds good sad news is though when you transfer canadian dollars to american it goes down quite a bit, as 75 canadian only equals a bit over 61 american it works out better when you're going back home, or for an american visiting canada :P

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2009, 17:14:17 »

sounds good sad news is though when you transfer canadian dollars to american it goes down quite a bit, as 75 canadian only equals a bit over 61 american it works out better when you're going back home, or for an american visiting canada :P

That's because you country's dollar is worth more than here in Canada.
All ahead full!

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2009, 01:01:49 »

That's because you country's dollar is worth more than here in Canada.
thats is totally true

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 12 day(s)
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2009, 03:08:21 »

I live 15mins away from NYC It is more or less made out to be a bad place which it is like most places depending on the area tips to go along with terrys:
1. Avoid Certain Parts at night I Dont know where you are going but Bronx and others.
2. Dont be frightened I used to be scared in the city and all of that but really it is the same just allot more people ant Intimidating buildings
3. AVOID ALLYWAYS AT NIGHT NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!
4. Enjoy Yourself also when I am there in lower manhattan stand next to a building look straight up, I makes you feel soooooo small It gives you a weeird feeling kinda  lets you know what ants feel like lol

Keep Us Posted!!!!

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:57 »

yea the city (as we call it here in my area) can be a rough place, as terry said just play it smart, keep your big valuables at home is best, dont even bring them, but if you do always keep them in sight and like terry said spread your things out, one of my friends got pick pocketed today in school, the kids stole his iPod and when someone steals it, you'll never see it again, so just a heads up  ;)

Come on Kean dont scare him  ;)

The city aint that bad BTW The shootings you hear about are in the bad areas where you're going to be(lower manhattan) is a great area hence very safe and the U.S. isnt like canada I used to live in ottawa the People here GENERALLY arent as friendly in the city (I notice)

Please dont be a hater and Quote me saying that I said New Yorkers are rude thats not what I meant they are just in a rush

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

bbydino05

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2009, 16:53:37 »

The city aint that bad BTW The shootings you hear about are in the bad areas where you're going to be(lower manhattan) is a great area hence very safe and the U.S. isnt like canada I used to live in ottawa the People here GENERALLY arent as friendly in the city (I notice)

Please dont be a hater and Quote me saying that I said New Yorkers are rude thats not what I meant they are just in a rush
That is so true im glad la isnt as bad as that but again we are pretty bad here lol.
But like you can like never stop moving in time square lol non stop

TerryRussell

Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 1 day(s)
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2009, 20:09:19 »

I've never met a rude New Yorker. Sure, there are plenty in a hurry, but there are also a huge number who are happy to chat, I've found.

No significant difference between New York and London, in my experience.

Or perhaps that means that Londoners are as rude as New Yorkers, when viewed through the eyes of a San Fran Ciscan. (London and New York economies are closely bound together, they have a lot of similarities, so maybe that's the reality?).

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2009, 22:43:07 »

hehe not trying too, you've more than likely been to the city a heck of a lot more than me as i'm about an hour to 1.5 hours northwest of the city but its most certainly a fun place to go lots of attractions like lady liberty for example

TerryRussell

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2009, 23:15:13 »

I thought she lived in New Jersey, not New York?

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2009, 14:11:29 »

I live in Bayonne(ever seen War of the Worlds in the Beginning where the bridge blows up, thats my town :thumbs: ) but my dad runs a ferry from Jersey City(morris Canal) to Battery Park so ive been there a number of times! and like I said it depends on where you go people and crime wise obviousely the project's are going to be a... worse place Manhattan is where the rich people hang out lol such as Brokers Manhattan is a great place OH did you hear about the guy selling bottled NYC tap water for 1.50 What a genius !!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 14:13:19 by Capt. Matt »

Thanks TJK!

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2009, 14:19:48 »

Hey! I just realized your gonna be leaving tomorrow Have Fun how long are you gonna be there we may run into eachother on the weekend (hey you never know ;) ) Oh go to this guys chockolate place it is Jacque Torres chockolate's on Hudson Street BEST Cookies and Hot Chockolate ever and bring SHORTS its 90 degrees here today

Thanks TJK!

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Re: Im going on a class trip to New York City in 10 day(s)
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2009, 18:01:03 »

Hey! I just realized your gonna be leaving tomorrow Have Fun how long are you gonna be there we may run into eachother on the weekend (hey you never know ;) ) Oh go to this guys chockolate place it is Jacque Torres chockolate's on Hudson Street BEST Cookies and Hot Chockolate ever and bring SHORTS its 90 degrees here today

Sorry, that's an error  :(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 17:10:11 by RMS Canada »
All ahead full!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines