Hello Guest May 21, 2024, 21:37:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Something annoying on the Ocean Star  (Read 6732 times)

Person264

• Forum member
Something annoying on the Ocean Star
« on: August 04, 2008, 16:15:50 »

I was playing around setting the weather up for a storm in the med, and I was in the Ocean Star when I notcied something annoying about it. The sports net thing doesn't change whatever the weather. So even if it is full storm it is still visible even when the rest of the ship isn't. Also, I know this has been mentioned before, but the pools look weird, don't pools normally have underwater lights or something? Oh yeah, and the rain stops at eye level in walkabout and goes inside the ship in outside views. Asides from that a great game.

rich84

• Forum member
Re: Something annoying on the Ocean Star
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 18:24:20 »

The rains been like that since day one & it`s one bug that really should be fixed

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 18:28:22 »

Hi mensch264,
As explained before, rain stops at the horizon for the same reason that the sky stops at the horizon. The two-dimensional rain curtain is on the bottom layer in helm or walkabout view. In external views, the rain curtain is in the foreground—top layer—and will follow you inside.
Placing it anywhere else, for added realism, would put it in 3D territory where it would have to be treated as a very large animated 3D object.
The sports net was probably added as an afterthought and ended up in the top layer.
Regards,
Marty

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 13:39:43 »

Ok just wondering, the main annoying thing is the net, could get used to the rain seeing as you would need much more computing power for 3d rain but the net is annoying for realism. By the way I'm not dutch, it's Person264 not Mench264 hehe

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 14:43:52 »

Ok just wondering, the main annoying thing is the net, could get used to the rain seeing as you would need much more computing power for 3d rain but the net is annoying for realism. By the way I'm not dutch, it's Person264 not Mench264 hehe
Ahoy person264
And MENSCH isn't Dutch :o, but German ;D :D :) ;)
Regards
Aad
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 15:51:26 »

In the US it’s a common Jewish usage meaning a person of character, as in “Be a mensch!”
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 16:03:45 »

Hi Person264.

I just spoke to my wife, who in her younger days was a Nanny for a Jewish Household in Brooklyn and she said that Mensch means a "dependable person, a good guy".

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 19:05:05 »

Ok, interesting. I was going to put "I'm not German" but i changed it cos the first way you spelt it mench and not mensch. I recognised it as german cos i know the word menschliche so i though mench was dutch cos they are similar languages i think? That's interesting about the Jewish saying, seeing as Germans and the Jewish community didn't get along very well a while ago. <- Trying to be as unoffensive as possible

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 19:10:28 »

That's interesting about the Jewish saying, seeing as Germans and the Jewish community didn't get along very well a while ago. <- Trying to be as unoffensive as possible

Well, I am not going to say that the germans and us don't get along. We just arent exited to see eachother ;D. I am though, I really want to go to germany, but my mother forbids it ;D. I think she forbids it because she doesn't want to go to Europe anyway ;D.

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 21:00:35 »

Much of the immigration into New York in the 19th and early 20th centuries was from Eastern Europe, principally Ashkenazi, so the dialect (actually a true language) that is usually called Yiddish contained many German words as well as Russian and Slavic. Many bits of that language were adopted by the other cultures thrown together in that city, and have spread throughout the US.
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 21:50:43 »

In a similar way, some Cockney (East London) words have their origins in Yiddish. The East End of London and especially around the City of London (where the head of offices of multinational banks are situated these days) had and still has a thriving Jewish community. Over the years, Cockneys picked up the words and incorporated them into the rhyming slang and many have since migrated into everyday English use.

Because I tend to speak Sockney ("South of  the River Cockney"), I use odd bits of Cockney in my everyday language. So, I will say to my wife things like "That's put the Kibosh on that!". Or "No, we can't buy that. I don't have any dosh on me at the moment".

Dosh, comes from the French for bundle, which became Elizabethan English in the word "doss" (A straw bed"). From there it went to the USA in the form of "Doss House", being a very cheap lodgings. After that it returned to the UK in probably the 1880s and was then re-Cocknied and its meaning modified to mean money.

I will also say "No, we can't buy that. I don't have the spondulicks on me". But that's from the ancient Greek.

http://www.businessballs.com/moneyslanghistory.htm

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 23:46:18 »

Another common saying in Yiddish is" Awh, you have smutch on your face". Smutch is like saying you have a little stain or a bit of dirt on your face ;D.

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 00:24:43 »

I stand in awe of Terry’s ability to be a cheapskate in seven languages. :)
Marty

Cap’n, I would not dare to attempt that for fear of a slip of the tongue. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 00:39:25 by mvsmith »

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:11:18 »

its getting a little off topic dont you think

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 15:54:35 »

Yes, it is :(. It seems as though we have drifted from the topic because the topic is solved. It would appear that way anyway.

Cap’n, I would not dare to attempt that for fear of a slip of the tongue. :)

Hey Marty, what do you mean by that? That you might pronounce it wrong?

That is the first time on the forum that I have ever seen you use a smiley ;D ;D ;D! Congrats ;D!

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 16:47:07 »

Hi Cap’n
I tend not to use smileys because one can become dependent upon them in face-to-face conversation where pasting a big yellow one on your forehead may not save you from eating a knuckle sandwich.
Regards,
Marty

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 17:33:45 »

Hi Cap’n
I tend not to use smileys because one can become dependent upon them in face-to-face conversation where pasting a big yellow one on your forehead may not save you from eating a knuckle sandwich.
Regards,
Marty

Hi Marty ! What you wrote amazes me ... Smileys have been invented because of the lack of expressions when writing (chat or forum), oposed to the facial expressions you have in a face-to-face conversation ...

Shall we understand that, when you're talking with someone face-to-face, you stay absolutely rigid, to avoid any expression ?  ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 18:00:28 »

Of course not.
I sometimes worry that the use of a smiley may be perceived as somewhat insulting—implying, perhaps, that one does not consider the recipient to be bright enough to sense when one is being facetious.

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 18:13:13 »

As you know  ;D, I NEVER  :o use smilies.  ???

That's because  :-\ these stupid little  8) yellow icons keep  :( gettng in the way.  ;D

But then, I also take the view  :P that this is a fun-filled game  ;D and we shouldn't take anything too seriously  >:(, except if Titanic has the wrong number  :-\ of septagonal-headed bolts on the left-hand  :'( door in the boiler room.  ;D That of course is so dreadful that it  ;D makes the issue about the   :'( windows in the Pride  :D of Rotterdam   8) look miniscule, despite the fact  :) that the very   :-[ existence of nations hinges   >:( on that. (Or do they  :-X  hinge on the way the bow door doesn't open?  ??? I get confused easily).  ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 18:36:58 »

You have made your point quite eloquently, Terry.

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 19:20:22 »

My eyes are spinning after that pervious post.

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 02:38:02 »

Agreed ;D. Notice how I only put smilleys after a sentence ;). I don't think it gets caught up with everything, since I try to be organized.

Hi Cap’n
Regards,
Marty

You mean that you fear that you would use them in a face to face conversation ;D? I doubt that anyone has ever done that exept for the following smileys: :) :D :( :-[ :-\ :'(. I have never actually had ;D as a facial expression ;D.

Of course not.
I sometimes worry that the use of a smiley may be perceived as somewhat insulting—implying, perhaps, that one does not consider the recipient to be bright enough to sense when one is being facetious.

Well, having smileys gives one an idea of anothers expression. In my opinion, not posting smileys from time to time implys that the"recipient" is not at all happy :(. Of course you do not have to post them all the time, but it gives people an idea of how you are feeling ;).

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 18:48:12 »

Sometimes you have to look just behind Marty's words to see the extremely amusing humour that lies there.

;D

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 23:57:59 »

Well, I really would like to see that ;D!

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 00:12:47 »

Sorry, I only write in 2D, so you can’t see behind my words.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines