Hello Guest May 17, 2024, 00:36:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom missions and ranks???  (Read 8050 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Custom missions and ranks???
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 20:06:05 »

My pet hate is missions that have so much AI that it is impossible to move. The sea just isn't like that (except around here during Cowes week).
Hi Terry,
You obviously have never been in the Inland Sea of Japan. You need eyes in the back and sides of your head. :o
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 20:33:41 »

And, Angus, you need to dodge the big bulkers as they slide down the ways at Mitsui Shipbuilding and Engineering’s Tamano yard.
I once watched the launch of one; before the entire keel was wet, the crane was setting a  new hull section on the ways.
Marty

The Strait of Malacca can get busy also. Plus, you have to watch out for pirates.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 20:44:35 by mvsmith »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 20:39:32 »

Hi Marty,
A bit like the Hyundai shipyard in Ulsan, South Korea. They build them in the drydock there, 4 at a time, and as they float them out the double bottom assemblies for the next ones are ready on the dock side to be lowered in.
Angus

mvsmith

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 20:49:12 »

If they don’t watch out, they will build them faster than they sink. They will reach market saturation. :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 22:52:30 »

"You obviously have never been in the Inland Sea of Japan."

Tried it once, but the boat ran out of fuel just past Margate.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 23:29:00 »

"You obviously have never been in the Inland Sea of Japan."

Tried it once, but the boat ran out of fuel just past Margate.

Does the RAC have boat patrols with cas of diesel then?  :D

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 23:35:20 »

Tell you what though, that kind of traffic is a damn good cure for constipation. :o ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 14:57:04 »

Angus, sometimes an opposite reaction is observed and the pucker factor can help delay a trip to the head.
As an occasional “fly on the wall” on the bridge, I could be an objective observer and not get emotionally involved. :)
Marty

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 08:51:40 »

This is the only post I could find in an hour of searching.  (really need to clean out these forums!!!)  But still haven't seen a definate answer.  I'll of course find out on my own by trial and error when I can play again in a couple days but with the release of 1.3 and all and with VSTEP rating custom mission, I'll repeat the original question,,,,,  Do Custom Missions add to your rank???

mvsmith

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 09:16:18 »

They shouldn’t. When we test them, we don’t set any value on the relative difficulty of a mission, so any ranking would be pretty meaningless, as are the times. The missions included in updates by VSTEP do, I think, contribute to rankings.
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 10:37:31 »

This is the only post I could find in an hour of searching.  (really need to clean out these forums!!!)  But still haven't seen a definate answer.  I'll of course find out on my own by trial and error when I can play again in a couple days but with the release of 1.3 and all and with VSTEP rating custom mission, I'll repeat the original question,,,,,  Do Custom Missions add to your rank???

That question has been answered at least three time in this thread alone.

Hi Carlisle11
However Custom missions do not add to your rankings, or at least not up to now. I'm not sure about the future though. :)

Passenger point things? You can't make your own i'm afraid. VSTEP think that people would just "misuse" them :)

I see. you can't set them yourself like I said. Only people like Rooster24 can :)

Were these posters not clear enough?  ;)

No, using Custom Missions, you can't affect the rankings. But, there is a strong desire from some of the Mission Creators to get Vstep to make this step in the not too distant future.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:25 »

Hey guys..

Custom missions will not have ranking. Simply because it will not be reliable. People can alter these missions, using the mission editor. They could make them really easy, and thus achieve higher rankings without having to do all the hard work.

Maybe, in the future, some of the finest custom missions out there could be bundled together and made into nice mission packs which then will become proper single player missions with ranking, but there's no concrete plans to that effect as yet.

We have discussed this possibility amongst the CMM's though. We'll see where it eventually might go.

Regards,
Fred

TJK

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 11:36:49 »

Hey guys..

Custom missions will not have ranking. Simply because it will not be reliable. People can alter these missions, using the mission editor. They could make them really easy, and thus achieve higher rankings without having to do all the hard work.

Maybe, in the future, some of the finest custom missions out there could be bundled together and made into nice mission packs which then will become proper single player missions with ranking, but there's no concrete plans to that effect as yet.

We have discussed this possibility amongst the CMM's though. We'll see where it eventually might go.

Regards,
Fred
HI Fred
those costom missions as uplodet with mission editor and testd arn't they locked to?
TJK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 11:56:07 »

Not to the creator, they're not. (And not to some, really inventive players, I woul think)

Ah.. my mistake.. I meant to say "people can alter THEIR missons"  ..not THESE...  sorry.

Fred
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:58:00 by Mad_Fred »

TerryRussell

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 19:13:05 »

H Fred.

What I would really like, is for the CMMs to ba able to add the rankings as a matter of course when they review and approve Custom Missions.  Originally, this was sort of suggested would happen, but.....

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 19:48:42 »

Yup Terry, I had similar thoughts, but the author could still open and edit his/her mission that way, as he/she does not really play the one that we got, but the original one.

Which is of course the same.. UNTILL he/she decides to gain rank fast and takes out everything and just makes it a one-boat-one-waypoint-2-minute mission.  ;D

So this way the ranking system could be compromised. But such things did come up in the backstage discussions.  ;)

I personally suggested making a mission addon pack evey now and then in which the best custom missions are bundled. Which would be locked to everyone and would just go into SP missions, not the custom ones.
Some 'colleagues' thought it was a good idea, but it's too early to tell if that will be picked up by VSTEP at all.  As you know, they are quite busy atm..   ;D

We'll see..

Regards,
Fred

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 21:06:51 »

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't those answers in this post from before the latest patch and the first one did mention the possibility in the future???  Anyway I understand why they don't now since VSTEP won't lock them once they approve them. 

TerryRussell

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 22:31:33 »

Anyway I understand why they don't now since VSTEP won't lock them once they approve them. 

No, that''s not quite what Fred meant, I think. Vstep DO lock them, but because the creator of the mission has the unlocked source code, they could conceivably change their unlocked version and gain un-earned rankings by simplifying their mission.

To avoid that possibility, Vstep don't assign rankings to the Custom Missions.

As if I would, Fred....  :'(  :'(  :'(

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 22:54:24 »

No, that''s not quite what Fred meant, I think. Vstep DO lock them, but because the creator of the mission has the unlocked source code, they could conceivably change their unlocked version and gain un-earned rankings by simplifying their mission.

Correct!

As if I would, Fred....  :'(  :'(  :'(

Well, not everyone is as honest as you, mate.  ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 22:55:39 »

Correct!

Well, not everyone is as honest as you, mate.  ;D

Nah. I'm just jolly convincing! Of course, I'm just blowing my own horn now.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 23:14:15 »

;D

I'm not gonna say anything..  That would be inappropriate for our younger members...

mvsmith

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 23:36:57 »

Fred,
I think we should mention this just in case there is some confusion about who approves and locks missions:
VSTEP approves and locks those missions that come with the simulator and in add-ons.
CMMs approve (accept) the missions that are submitted from within the Mission Editor. Those missions are already locked—by the uploading process—when the CMMs receive them. CMMs don’t have the ability to unlock them.

Missions, however, are still sent by the constructors to the Missions board in ZIP form. Those missions are unlocked. Missions may also be distributed via other “Fan” sites. Therefore, many of the missions that may be downloaded in-game also have evil twins that may be manipulated.
Regards,
Marty

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 23:52:45 »

Fred,
I think we should mention this just in case there is some confusion about who approves and locks missions:
VSTEP approves and locks those missions that come with the simulator and in add-ons.
CMMs approve (accept) the missions that are submitted from within the Mission Editor. Those missions are already locked—by the uploading process—when the CMMs receive them. CMMs don’t have the ability to unlock them.

Yes you are right.. but I figured too much detail would not change the underlying message. And as the uploading system was made by VSTEP, VSTEP  IS actually locking them..   :P

We just give 'em the quality check.   ;D

;)

Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2008, 00:18:47 »

;D

I'm not gonna say anything..  That would be inappropriate for our younger members...

Sorry, I meant "trumpet". Got ship's horns on the brain right now...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines