Hello Guest May 21, 2024, 16:52:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama wants more school  (Read 20764 times)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Obama wants more school
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 19:53:34 »

Our education is perfectly fine how it is right now.

Do you know where the USA is on the global scale, regarding quality of education?

If you do not know it, then your statement isn't true.
If you do know it, then your statement isn't true.

;D

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 20:09:33 »

Do you know where the USA is on the global scale, regarding quality of education?

;D

lol

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 20:11:06 »

*Joins Ferryman's lol club*
keep it gnarly

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 21:13:23 »

My life:

School, 5 days a week. Coursework set at least once every 2 days.

After school maths tutoring every Monday for an hour, Tuesday, Day Skipper course at the Nautical College for 2 hours, Wednesday, Day for homework/revision, Thursday, Day for homework/Revision, Friday, French after school for an hour. Saturday/Sunday, Various pieces of homework set, usually French and Geography, sometimes history.

I'm always doing something!

And, Back to what me and Stuart were talking about, I certainly think more practical is needed. Only really, this year, can I see all the stuff I have learnt being of any use to me. I know specifically what I want to do as a career, and this year has been the first school year that I can almost grasp my future - I'm lucky enough to know what I want to do in life, but some people don't. BUT, the majority of me knowing what I want to do is down to the Bridge Visit to the Stena Leader (out of school), Boating (Out of school), And the day Skipper course (Out of school).

See a pattern...? - If I hadn't of done what I do out of school, I probably would be clueless as to what I want to do. I probably wouldn't even be here now, Because I might not of discovered my love for the sea! The only reason I ever really got into boating was dad, I've been boating with him since I was around 6ish, and that un-locked my love for ships, and just the general idea of the sea.

More practical at school's is needed....So People can have a taster of what they want to do. At the end of the day, it's no good doing all the theory, then actually getting down to practical, and not liking it - Or simply not being any good at it!. School's should encourage pupils to go on work experience more often, I think. And plus, on top of that, we'd actually be doing something that we really want to do. So, it gives you something to work towards, you're motivated to DO that. Rather than being given a load of Maths, English, and Science books and being told "This will help you in the future".

I'm lucky to be given the opportunities outside of school to encourage me to know what I want to do for my future, and as a result - I know what I want to do...And Nothing will stand in my way.... :evil:

There we go...my rant for the day! :lol:

Jack.
Completely agree with you Jack.

I know what i'd like to do in life since I was a little kid on a ferry to the isle of man to see my Grandparent's new house..
And because we went every year or so, I got a love for the sea that way and because the isle of man isn't that big, you always got to see the blue sea each and every day.

But I'm equally happy to go on bridge visits on the Ben My Chree and Manannan this summer, speaking to the officers, and how they got to where they are.
That gave me some experience, and allowed me to gain some advice from the officers.
And with that, I can't wait for next summer when I'll be doing work experience with the SP.

Now I know what qualifications I need to get into nautical college, I can now study and work towards it.

Unlike Jack, who lives near the sea and still is in full time education at school, I'm at my local college in yorkshire (nowhere near the sea) who rarely see's the sea. Normally anyone who left school with good grades would be able to get into nautical college as soon as possibile. Unfortunately that wasn't the case for me, and all I can say is to do as good as you possibly can at school, study as much as you can.

Hopefully in 2 years time, I'll see Jack in Fleetwood. :P
Regards,
James

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 21:37:59 »

;D
i know the US isn't exactly high on the scale of education. But theres more too it, having schools open more requires more money which this country does not have, everyone is cutting back, the government is cutting down on the states money, the state is cutting down on the schools money so economically its impossible unless we all have a major tax increase which would just throw everyone into bankruptcy and the country would fold in on itself

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 21:46:47 »

Well it's time for another revolution then..  ;)

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 21:59:15 »

* Remembers Pink Floyd's song "Another Brick in the Wall" *  ;D
keep it gnarly

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:54 »

ohhhh such a good song! ;D i have all the parts on my ipod :D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:53 »

Hey if we are all dumb what's the difference?

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 07:43:53 »

Hopefully in 2 years time, I'll see Jack in Fleetwood. :P

You WILL see me in two years time ;D :evil:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:24 »

That is indeed an awesome song. :2thumbs:

I agree that we need more work experience over here, but it shouldn't be one day a week. A single chunk of six weeks, like i did over the summer, would be better as you can see better what it's like to work on a project from start to finish.

But what I want most of all is for my school to offer RYA sailing!
Almost never here, try here.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 22:02:04 »

i currently attend 2 schools in one day, my normal academic school and whats called Ctec where you pick a job field and you learn about it and take classes in that field and get hands on expierience which is a valuable thing i believe. I currently attend a class for computer repair and at the end of the year i'll be able to build a computer with my eyes closed. Theres tons and tons of courses like computer programming, auto repair, beauty school, child care, carpentry and welding to name a few. the school pays $17,000 for each student going and its the best thing ever i think

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 22:48:10 »

Well it's time for another revolution then..  ;)

;D yes please.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Welc0me1

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:23 »

NOOOOOO!!!!

I already have to get up at 5:30am EVERYDAY, I don't want to come home at 5pm EVERYDAY, and then do 2hours of homework EVERYDAY  >:( >:( >:( >:(

matt5674

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 06:04:11 »

Obama just wants this law to have the same amount of school hours as the other school's in Eurasia which ticked almost everyone off in my home of Louisville, Ky.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 22:38:20 »

Why is being educated so un-fashionable?

Has it ever occured to those against education that your future (and that of society) is based upon your educashunal acheevments?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 22:40:53 »

Well, thats true, but nobody thnks about that in school, its just a boring waste of time in our opinion  ::) :doh:
Regards,
Jonah

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 22:44:14 »

I agree complete;y with you Stewart - Kids today don;t realises what they are doing, they haven't realised there fututre depends on the choices they make now

Well, thats true, but nobody thnks about that in school, its just a boring waste of time in our opinion  ::) :doh:

But it isn't...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 22:45:48 »

Well, thats true, but nobody thnks about that in school, its just a boring waste of time in our opinion  ::) :doh:
No offence intended... But when you look at your puntuwashun, speling and gramma, iy finks that you need to spend more tiym in skool lerning inglish.

no wot i meen?

EDIT: Anyway, school kids shouldn't be ALLOWED opinions...

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 00:10:22 »

I'm well aware of the fact that what i learn in school now has an effect on my future life. I'm already planning for college, and students should most certainly have an opinion in things. My spelling usually is fine, my grammar is fine when i want it to be. I dont bother that much with it on forums and such, but i usually pay attention and there is also something called a typo dont forget ;)

LukeL

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 00:33:14 »

I can probably guarantee that school will not be extended, because it costs TOO MUCH MONEY, and the United States isn't exactly full of free money at the moment

in my state, MI, our government has shut down numerous time, because they couldn't balance the budget, and now our 'promise scholarship' that gave us $4000 to attend a Michigan college, was cut and we get 0% of that money, but being the welfare state that we are, heaven forbid they cut funding for poor people, they got federal money for that, the students can get money on their own.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 02:39:23 »

thats the main problem is money, whats happening for New York is, the US government is cutting the amount of money to the state and the state has to cut the amount of money to schools, so i think the country would go financily broke if we extended school, it just wouldn't work. What annoys me is in NY we learn all year long for 1 reason, to take a state wide test. Thats it, all the learning is to take a dumb test at the end of the year, most stupid system on earth i think personally. Math stuff we'll never use again in our lives, except my class this year business math, checking, bank stuff and so on.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:49 »

country would go [financially] broke

It already is silly. :)

(I like your use of bad spelling, makes us look real smart (you need firefox to have a spell checker, hah))

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:14 »

I think I have proven my point...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:55 »

I think I have proven my point...

You don't have a point. Your point doesn't matter anyway because you're not in congress or the senate so, ha.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines