Hello Guest May 16, 2024, 09:11:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissapointed at Ocean Star  (Read 30056 times)

Paddy134

• Forum member
Re: Dissapointed at Ocean Star
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 00:57:18 »

If you don't like Ocean Star live it and don't use her, i don't like Latitude and i don't use that ship, simple as that

The point is that i would like to sail a large modern ocean liner!

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:39 »

On real ships there is also an important instrument on the bridge showing the pods actual movement and position.

We have asked VSTEP to implement such an indicator, not only for the pod driven vessel, but also for the others. Because the information bar always shows the total amount of the rudder/pod movement and not the current position of them. It's amazing to see, that the huge rudder of the "Latitude" or "Vermaas" skips from amidship to hard layed within an eye close. As the developers told us, the simulated effect is correct, that's what we can see onboard the "Ocean Star", but the indicator is still wrong.

@Paddy134: You want the "QM2"? Well, you will have the same problems, because she's also pod driven.. ;)

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2008, 11:52:43 »

i would say the pods control is more or less realistic, especially that they move slowly. but beyond this there are so many bugs that its no joy to sail her. bowthrusters are way too strong, accleration way to quick, service speed not correct. there is simply no feel to steer a nearly 300m crusieliner, so absolutely no fun.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2008, 12:26:52 »

i would say the pods control is more or less realistic, especially that they move slowly. but beyond this there are so many bugs that its no joy to sail her. bowthrusters are way too strong, accleration way to quick, service speed not correct. there is simply no feel to steer a nearly 300m crusieliner, so absolutely no fun.

Well I'm not sure I agree, the bow thrusters on these ships are in fact very powerful, keep in mind there are several of them. 3 is not unusual, and if they operate all of them at full power the ship's bow really takes off. Vstep just turned it all into one ;)

The main reason for all the bow thruster power is simply the wind, a large cruise ship acts like a giant sail, and when gale force winds hit the side it actually needs all that power to be able to turn the bow against the wind. So if you only got a light breeze 20-30% thrust is realistic.

The acceleration is not too bad, when leaving harbor at 5% thrust she accelerates slowly just like a real ship. At sea it depends on the wind and sea conditions of course.

I'd say the Ocean Star is more or less pretty realistic, if I'll point on something it must be the thrust lever reaction time. The pods react immediately when moving the levers, on real ships there is a delay.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:53:26 by Subwolf »

TJK

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2008, 13:36:34 »

OK i understand, but Ocean Stare are weary easy to handle wen you Haw learned the pods and how it's works, go in free roam and go and practice, it's the best way, i love the ship it's not easy in the begging but it's when you awe learn the pods and how they works and how she behave in the water
Ocean stare don't need tugs to bed it Yost go sideways in to the dock, and she nearly can go around she self  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 13:40:57 by TJK »

Roebot 65

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2008, 14:11:47 »

i hate its controls

Simaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2008, 19:10:12 »

I am really frustrated with Ocean Star,With all the Patience in the World i cannot get this Azimus to Work whilst you set one the others change themselves and you just go around in circles, it may be that it is a system that needs more investigation before implementation, and the better suggestion would be to put the ships controls the same throughout. At least it would them make it possible to use the Ocean Star
Anthony (Simaddict)

TJK

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2008, 21:53:35 »

I am really frustrated with Ocean Star,With all the Patience in the World i cannot get this Azimus to Work whilst you set one the others change themselves and you just go around in circles, it may be that it is a system that needs more investigation before implementation, and the better suggestion would be to put the ships controls the same throughout. At least it would them make it possible to use the Ocean Star

If you shall do a right turn with OS use the left arrow key on you keyboard, and opposite.
and you can get help from the bow trust to turn. and it's easy ere to use the keyboard  arrow key to sailing OS and not the mouse

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2008, 21:55:58 »

We have asked VSTEP to implement such an indicator, not only for the pod driven vessel, but also for the others. Because the information bar always shows the total amount of the rudder/pod movement and not the current position of them. It's amazing to see, that the huge rudder of the "Latitude" or "Vermaas" skips from amidship to hard layed within an eye close. As the developers told us, the simulated effect is correct, that's what we can see onboard the "Ocean Star", but the indicator is still wrong.

@Paddy134: You want the "QM2"? Well, you will have the same problems, because she's also pod driven.. ;)

Regards

I dont mind the pods, the ocean star is a bad design, well asaesthetically. Damn boxy cruise ship!

@ TJK what i said above.

Edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 13:31:55 by [RWP]DJM »

TJK

« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2008, 21:56:26 »

i hate its controls
That was a easy comet, you cud tell why you hate it, maybe the developer of the game can understand watt you mean or hate  ;)

TJK

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2008, 22:03:08 »

@ TJK what i said above.
that coment was not for you but Simaddict
I dont mind the pods, the ocean star is a crap design, well asaesthetically. Damn boxy cruise ship!

@ TJK what i said above.
complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain is that all you can do, if it so bad with the ship sim sell it to someone who like to haw fun and not youst complain,
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 22:05:53 by TJK »

Simaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2008, 12:56:10 »

I am sorry my post irritated you, my sole point was to get some constructive replies on how to handle this vessel, I was not indicating that it was bad as described, i like the ship but just cannot handle the controls. Perhaps in retrospect I should just keep quiet and wait improvements to be made in the near Future. Again I appologise.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 13:21:13 by [RWP]DJM »
Anthony (Simaddict)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2008, 13:23:35 »

Hiya all :)

This topic seems to be degrading into an argument.  May I remind everyone that we all have different opinions, and we are all entitled to complain if we feel the need to.  Criticising other members for having an opinion, is not a good idea.

DJM/Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

DerBandit

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2008, 13:26:03 »

What I really hate about those pods is that, if I turn the pods to 180° and throttle up, the ship still accelerates instead of slowing down. Sometimes it accelerates for 2 -3 more knots and then starts slowing down. This very strange behavior ruined my maneuvers more then ones.

Can anybody confirm this?
Es grüßt

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2008, 14:17:14 »

Hello DerBandit,
Yes, you are right, but it is also how it has to work. Rotating the pods can last up to 30 sec (delay to be confirmed? :D ), so that you still have forward thrust during half the time if you kept the propellers running.
What happens is that the info bar at the top of the screen gives your desired setting (SollWerte) instead of the instantaneous one (IstWerte).
There must be also a distinct transverse thrust if you rotate both pods the same way.
Regards,  8)
Luc

DerBandit

• Forum member
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2008, 14:44:18 »

Those 30 seconds are in the game or in real life? How do I know in the game what my actual Pod Position is (The IstWert)?
Es grüßt

TJK

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2008, 15:02:48 »

I am sorry my post irritated you, my sole point was to get some constructive replies on how to handle this vessel, I was not indicating that it was bad as described, i like the ship but just cannot handle the controls. Perhaps in retrospect I should just keep quiet and wait improvements to be made in the near Future. Again I appologise.

you post was not irritated me i trying to answer you in a simple way how to use the controllers on Ocean Stare
If you shall do a right turn with OS use the left arrow key on you keyboard, and opposite.
and you can get help from the bow trust to turn. and it's easy ere to use the keyboard  arrow key to sailing OS and not the mouse
So that you misunderstand, sorry about that, the complaining part was not for you
We misunderstand itch odder here i think, still friends i hope, i don't like it like this, i'm sorry Simaddict  ;) if you feel that you iterated me, you absolute didn't that
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 15:11:45 by TJK »

TJK

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2008, 15:09:30 »

Hiya all :)

This topic seems to be degrading into an argument.  May I remind everyone that we all have different opinions, and we are all entitled to complain if we feel the need to.  Criticising other members for having an opinion, is not a good idea.

DJM/Carl.
Sorry my friend if i got to fare with this answer
TJK/Tore
I dont mind the pods, the ocean star is a crap design, well asaesthetically. Damn boxy cruise ship!

@ TJK what i said above.
complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain complain, complain complain is that all you can do, if it so bad with the ship sim sell it to someone who like to haw fun and not youst complain,

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2008, 15:12:33 »

@Der Bandit,
If my memory is correct, both in reality and in the game, although it is long ago that I had a closer look to the dynamics of Ocean Star. I remember a 180° rotation (long) delay for Schottel pump-jets of 7 sec, so that the 30 sec figure struck me as an eternity, but I can be wrong. I'll search for the ABB Azipod dynamics, I know there is much written about it. As far as the indication of the controlled value, there is up to now none I could find.
Regards,  :)
Luc

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2008, 15:18:18 »

Sorry my friend if i got to fare with this answer
TJK/Tore

Not to worry Tore, it was just a polite reminder about differences of opinion, and of course differences in culture ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2008, 15:39:18 »

Here, I found a good text giving a rotation time of 22.5 seconds for Elation's ABB Azipods, much quicker than I thought... :-[
Luc
And here too, Amsterdam's particulars, 12 sec from 0 to 35° in steering mode.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 15:50:57 by LucAtC »

DerBandit

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2008, 16:21:18 »

Thanks for the info LucAtC 
Es grüßt

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2008, 18:15:17 »

The normal rotation time for heavy azipods up to 200 tons is some 30 seconds. There is a command delay of 5-10 sec, and then you add the actual rotation time of the pods 20-30 sec. It looks this is simulated pretty well on the Ocean Star.

It's very important to know the pods' position, as you can see if you increase thrust too soon the ship will move in a direction you did not expect. Wait at least the 30 seconds when you rotate the controls 180 degrees.

DerBandit

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2008, 21:39:52 »

Then it sure would be nice to have an Indicator for the true Pod position.
Es grüßt

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:15 »

Then it sure would be nice to have an Indicator for the true Pod position.
Exactly! 8) One more working instrument on the simple desert-looking bridge with tourists crawling everywhere just to get a snap shot of the cruise captain!

More indicators please, needles and blinking LED's so you have the final opportunity to ask the question: "What is this button used for"? ;D

Do you remember the warning saying: "Don't push this button..."? ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines