Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 14:44:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: So, you want the perfect storm...?  (Read 78433 times)

mvsmith

Re: So, you want the perfect storm...?
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2008, 14:54:05 »

You’re right, Michael, everyone wants realism as long as it’s not too real. :)
Considering that NH is only about a week from release, ACR picked a strange time to make his demands.
Since almost none of them are met, and he’s bored with the sim as it is, we probably won’t hear from him again.
Marty

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2008, 00:51:25 »

You’re right, Michael, everyone wants realism as long as it’s not too real. :)
Considering that NH is only about a week from release, ACR picked a strange time to make his demands.
Since almost none of them are met, and he’s bored with the sim as it is, we probably won’t hear from him again.
Marty

sorry, you are not right mvsmith. and beyond this, my post was not to simply criticize the product for being bad, it was my effort to give hints how to take a chance creating this good product better.

Mad fred is pretty right that the "improved" waves are looking bad, right. but maybe some good developers, when the game is opened more, could create better high waves. who knows?

mad fred, you are also right that much of addons would be below the standarts vstep wants to have, but on the other hand when you lock any chance to develop something there will SURELY be no new ideas from the community.

i,m also not looking for "cheating" in MP mission with e.g supersonic speed of the ships, but when e.g the top speed of the red jet is wrong, she obviously reached that speed at trials, not t talk about commercial service (i wrote about it longer time ago) , maybe a chance for the user to adjust ist would be finde. so i would like to reduce not increase the top speed  :)

again, i am a big fan of shipsimulations and very appreciate the work from vstep, but read my post again, its not simply criticing shipsim.

best regards!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:57 »

mad fred, you are also right that much of addons would be below the standarts vstep wants to have, but on the other hand when you lock any chance to develop something there will SURELY be no new ideas from the community.

Well, actually, there is much more interaction going on between developer and customer/entusiast than you may realise. The developers get constant feedback, directly from players, or the forum and also though us, the moderators and administrators. And there are quite a number of community members that contribute this way and there's allready plenty of game content that has been created via that method.

But it's just not as obvious perhaps, as with sims that have opened up all the doors for each "wannabe modeler" (I dont mean that negatively) to put their work into the sim. It's all done somewhat more 'behind the scenes' and all ends up as official and therefor better suited, game content.

So there actually is a chance for people to offer VSTEP their help/suggestions/ideas/models/etc..  but not just everyone can go out and change things. This is much better in my opinion. It gives the really good people a chance to get in touch with VSTEP and offer what they've got, and keeps the people that are less good, or maybe even total novices from possibly harming the game rather than enhancing it.

So it's not as locked as you think it is, to be honest. And there's not many good developers out there in the community that can just whip up an inprovement of the waves, anyway. VSTEP are perfectly capable of doing that themselves, but it's not just a case of making them look good. There's a heck of a lot more behind it, dynamics wise. What good are great looking, huge waves, if the ships behave surreal.. Again, I could compare it to "the other one". Nice looking waves, totally off as far as handling goes..  And yeah, I do own it and have tried just about every ship that the community made. Just a handfull are good of a thousand or so downloads. So that renders the sim aspect of things useless, really.  ;D

Regards,
Fred

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:18:31 by Mad_Fred »

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2008, 07:38:48 »

ok, lets wait and see what the future brings. i do not have the competitor game so i cannot say anything about it regarding waves, dynamics etc. surely much of the things you write is right and have benefits. on the other hand of course when the majority cannot look into the coded files, only few people can implement their ideas.

it would be surely not an instant improvement, we first just would have to undertand better how the sim works.

one thing for new horizons : could you look into the top speed of the red jet when it is not too late? she is simply some knots too fast. the real thing achieved 41kt in trials with no load, so when we simulate passenger service and not trials a top speed of about 36-37 kt would be fine , with service speeds then of about 33-35kt.

currently at calm seas i can go more than 42 kt with the red jet.

thank you much!

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2008, 14:25:08 »

There are two separate views going along in this thread.
Wout's position is one of warning of the removal of support for a modified version  of the game and I think that's a perfectly reasonable standpoint.
The other is going along the line of "how to" and the resuts etc as if Wout had never said anything.
I am also a great tweaker - we are all human beings and, as such, think differently about different things.

I think the big problem with such a post as this (thanks for the info by the way) is the action of the inexperienced.  Many users with little or no experience will dive in to something like this just because it's there.  We have seen it so often in the Train Simulators where guys (rarely gals) start twiddling without even making a backup first.

I'm sure that drakonwulf's idea was aimed at guys who more or less know what they are doing but the inexperienced must be warned that there are possible serious consequences.

What would be a good result from this post would be a new section to cover "Tweaks and Tricks" with a clear warning at the beginning that changes carry risks and that VSTEP cannot be held responsible for any resulting problems.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

mvsmith

« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2008, 16:22:04 »

One thing that is continually lost sight of—although it has been thoroughly explained—is the affect upon missions of having vessels whose speed and other characteristics can vary among players.
For one thing, it would make times and ratings even more meaningless than they already are.

Missions are built and tested on the assumption that the vessels have certain characteristics. If those characteristics are changed by individual players, some missions would fail. Support for missions would become difficult, if not impossible.

In order to avoid such chaos, the policy on tweak-ability is not about to change.

I believe that VSTEP have weighed the possible economic gains from an open architecture against the loss of revenue from dissatisfaction with a chaotic situation and lowered quality, and have made the right choice.
Marty

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2008, 21:34:28 »

Sorry chaps - even at my age I never learn!  I saw "new", opened the thread, read the first page and failed to notice there were 6 others (I don't often see this part of the forum so was unaware that this thread has been going a long time) then posted a comment which was totally out of date :-[ :-[ :-[.
I agree with Wout and with Mad_Fred and with Marty - If, one day, we see content able to be added by people outside of the official creators (and I hope we will) it must be to the same or higher standard than is already in existence within the sim.
For this reason I would expect there to be an approval route before we were able to download an accepted item.
If this has all been said before, I apologise but I ain't going to plough through the full thread.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

TampaPowers

• Forum member
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2008, 20:23:04 »

I can't open this xml file how did you?

Not sure, if this was posted

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2008, 20:47:10 »

i cant even change the numbers or words >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :o :o :o :o :o
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

TampaPowers

• Forum member
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2008, 21:06:56 »

Could it be that this is won't work cuz i have the new horrizont add on?

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2008, 21:37:43 »

i dont have nh but i still cant do it :o :o :o :o :o :o

join for free now!

TampaPowers

• Forum member
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2008, 21:47:59 »

I have written a e-mail to the persons who can. i hope they write in the thread or e-mail me.
we must wait a bit i hope we get a answer soon!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2008, 22:06:49 »

I'm sure in the last patch/upgrade that this feature was disabled by vstep and it is no longer possible to modify it unless you are running the original version of 08.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2008, 17:37:59 »

is there any way to uninstall patches :o :o :o :o ???

join for free now!

mvsmith

« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2008, 17:50:51 »

Uninstall the entire SS08 and then reinstall it.
Marty

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2008, 17:52:23 »

ok Thanks ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;)

join for free now!

Aldarion

• Forum member
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2008, 23:22:28 »

We have seen it so often in the Train Simulators where guys (rarely gals) start twiddling without even making a backup first.

Got that right!
I started in 2001 twiddling with textures, then with routes, with a lot of "trial and error". After that i learned to model in 3D, founded a Virtual railroad and right now I have a very large community of folowers of my VR's work along with a great team of developers. We are ever increasing our efforts twords givin something to the comunity at no expenses whatsoever and all because Microsoft's Train simulator is open architechture. ;D

ACR

• Forum member
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2008, 02:35:49 »

We are ever increasing our efforts twords givin something to the comunity at no expenses whatsoever and all because Microsoft's Train simulator is open architechture. ;D

absolutely right! and microsoft 2001 train simulator would be dead since years if it would be designed like shipsim, so closed architecture.

that was i also wanted to point out in my previous posts

best regards

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2008, 08:17:11 »

Can i still get 3m high water.when i still got this pack ???

heliam21

• Forum member
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:04 »

Anybody can send me the file "Environment_Ocean.cgr" from v1.0 ?

SS 2008 sold in France is 1.1.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:20:20 by heliam21 »

TerryRussell

« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2008, 21:54:17 »

absolutely right! and microsoft 2001 train simulator would be dead since years if it would be designed like shipsim, so closed architecture.

that was i also wanted to point out in my previous posts

best regards

Hi ACR.

You're quite right about Train Sim. The MSTSbin project is a wondeful example of the users becoming the developers! But, you have to remember that both Kuju and Microsoft walked away from Train Sim, so for the people who use it and those whi have put so much into it, picking up the ongoing development themselves was a good move.

Ship Sim is very different and those considerations don't apply.

I speak as a major producer of routes, activities, models and scenery etc for Train Simulator (no names no pack drill!).

TJK

« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2008, 01:16:23 »

Anybody can send me the file "Environment_Ocean.cgr" from v1.0 ?

SS 2008 sold in France is 1.1.

Thanks
If the are some wrong with you dvd go back to were you bay it and get a new one
TJK

TerryRussell

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2008, 17:47:11 »

If the are some wrong with you dvd go back to were you bay it and get a new one
TJK

Unless he has tried to edit the.cgr file himself to make huge waves or whatever and has now screwed it up. As Wout says, that means no technical support....

heliam21

• Forum member
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2008, 20:12:41 »

I don't understand ???
It's just to have the big waves.
If i corrupted the cgr file, a reinstall with my CDrom repairs everything.
A technical suppport or maybe a "warranty" for a PC game means nothing for me.

TerryRussell

« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2008, 21:12:22 »

I don't understand ???
It's just to have the big waves.
If i corrupted the cgr file, a reinstall with my CDrom repairs everything.
A technical suppport or maybe a "warranty" for a PC game means nothing for me.

Right at the beginning of this thread, everyone was officially warned:

Warning to users who try this: tempering with the game is not permitted and therefor at your own risk. Any support rights you had will be lost when tempering with the game.

By interfering with the game, you have decided to forfeit your access to any technical support, including supply of any files that you may have screwed up.

If you can install it from the CD, why are you asking for a copy?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines