Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 15:19:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im thinking of buying SS 2008  (Read 1959 times)

cruiser76

• Forum member
Im thinking of buying SS 2008
« on: July 27, 2008, 22:06:30 »

Hi folks,

Ive always loved anything to do with boats and have discovered the SS series of games, the only thing I have to ask before I buy a copy is can you explore the ship when you are sailing it, its just that I dont fancy sitting for hours at a time stuck on the bridge staring into open waters!?  If so, what can you do, can you explore the different parts of the vessel?

Cheers
Steve
Aye aye captain!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Im thinking of buying SS 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 22:11:21 »

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, all ships in SS08 have a walkthrough mode that lets you walk around on them.

Most ships do not have everything walkable, but you can walk most of the decks on the ships, the bridge obviously, and other area's with some ships. But don't expect too much with the bigger ships. There aren't many things modeled in the sense of cabins and such, or engine rooms for example, apart from the pushboat from the addon pack, which does have an engineroom.

Basically you can walk around ON the ships a lot, but not always IN the ships.  :)

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Fred

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:56:55 »

all the ships are very hightly detailed and have full modeling

NathanC

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 14:10:36 »

The Ocean Star is a big ship and has a lot of the passenger entertainment areas to explore. The Pride of Rotterdam has the outside deck fully walkable and the Titanic has lots of walkable areas including a small part of the interior, the Promonades and the 2nd Class entrance. The Sherpa could be called big and has the cabin area explorable (only the corridoors however) and the Herkules Atlas Pushboat has an explorable Engine room. I have attached a picture of the Engine room and wheelhouse  ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 15:05:48 »

Hi folks,

Ive always loved anything to do with boats and have discovered the SS series of games, the only thing I have to ask before I buy a copy is can you explore the ship when you are sailing it, its just that I dont fancy sitting for hours at a time stuck on the bridge staring into open waters!?  If so, what can you do, can you explore the different parts of the vessel?

Cheers
Steve

In some of the missions that members of this forum have produced, you certainly won't be sat around with nothing to do. In many of them, you'll wish you had time to think!

If you buy the game, try my Holland Hovercraft Race or any of the other 25 or so I've produced. You'll soon see what I mean!

Also, when you're going through the various waterways, there is a lot of very good scenery. I know the Solent very well, and I must say that the in-game scenery is pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 15:52:56 by TerryRussell »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 15:22:27 »

Hello Steve,
Real seafarers do have to spend a considerable amount of time looking at the sea (and the sky) it makes for bliss and peace after the chaos of being in port. However in this simulator, as Terry says, if you run some of the missions you will not have time to get bored, (unless, of course, you are very easily bored.) I have been deeply involved with the simulators, 2006 & 2008, now for quite a long time and so far have not been bored for even a few seconds. Take the plunge, I think you will find the simulator totally engrossing.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 15:32:46 »

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, all ships in SS08 have a walkthrough mode that lets you walk around on them.

Most ships do not have everything walkable, but you can walk most of the decks on the ships, the bridge obviously, and other area's with some ships. But don't expect too much with the bigger ships. There aren't many things modeled in the sense of cabins and such, or engine rooms for example, apart from the pushboat from the addon pack, which does have an engineroom.

Basically you can walk around ON the ships a lot, but not always IN the ships.  :)

I hope this helps,

Regards,
Fred

The little blue tug doesn't have a walk trough mode..  ;)

I am getting bored pretty quickly, but i can play shipsim for hours and hours.   ;D
It's the crew that makes the difference

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 17:42:51 »

The little blue tug doesn't have a walk trough mode.

Actually Ballast, it does, but somehow the 'direct acces' does not seem to work.

If you hit the '3' key, it will not work. If you are in a mission with several ships, including the tug, you can go into walkthrough mode on another of the ships, and then change via de F3 menu, to the tug. You will then stey in walkthrough mode and will be able to walk around on the tug.

But it's not ideal of course and I hope they are going to fix that sometime.

Regards,
Fred

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 17:45:34 »

Yes, I actualy discovered that in a mission I did not long ago ;D. The bad part is that you are most likely to fall through the ship ;D.

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 17:50:27 »

I didn't know that one. Thanks Fred!  ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 17:57:47 »

No problem, Terry!

Captain, I never fell through the small tug to be honest.  :-\

Fred

NathanC

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 18:29:18 »

Thanks Fred, i was confused why you couldn't walk on such a big ship  ;D

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 18:40:54 »

No problem, Terry!

Captain, I never fell through the small tug to be honest.  :-\

Fred

Really? Then I suppose you did not walk to the edge of the windows ;D?

RoRdude

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 18:43:24 »

Thinking of buying?  I would have bought it already with how good it looks, but yes this is one of the best simulation games i have found, If you have ever played flight sim x, i would put this one right beside it!!  I love both of the games, and the phisics and every thing, so my answer is, you should totaly buy it!
I may only be 15 years old, but i already have more hours on the sea, than most...

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:14 »

ship sim is any thing but boreing and mp with keep you on your toes lots happen in mp

cruiser76

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 18:31:46 »

Superb guys, thanks for your comments, Im definately buying it now!!

Just hope my graphics card can handle the pace!!!

Steve  :)
Aye aye captain!

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 18:53:54 »

Hi Steve.

What graphics card, RAM and CPU do you have?

You need at least 2.4GHz CPU, 1GB RAM (XP or 2BG for Vista), but I'd reccommend faster and more if at all possible.

Good graphics cards are things like the Vncvidia 8600 and 8800 range. Others work as well, though.

cruiser76

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 17:19:53 »

HI,

I'm running XP with a 3.4ghz Athlon64 processor, 2mb of ram and a 320gb HDD, im not sure what graphics card ive got but it came with the computer, to tell you the truth I downloaded a trial copy of SS06 and was very disappointed, the graphics were like something from the early nineties and it was so full of glitches as to be almost unplayable there was no tuition as to what to do and everything had a budget, amateur feel to it, has anyone else noticed this?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 17:25:26 by cruiser76 »
Aye aye captain!

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 17:29:01 »

OK, your processor and Ram are more than enough.

The Nvidia 8600 range seem very good value for money. Seen them at less than 50 pounds e.g. here:

www.novatech.co.uk

The 8800 has the edge, but frankly you won't see any difference in S08, and they cost a bit more.

But, I would suggest finding out what card you have, as it may already be good enough. Easiest way is to post your DXdiag report here so that I can take a look and see what's what.

Here is how to upload your DXdiag results:

Click Start button. Select "Run". Type "dxdiag" and press "Enter". 

You might be asked about WHQL drivers, click "Ok".

In the next window click the button that says "Save All Information", when the Save Dialog box appears, save the file to your desktop. 

To upload the file here, select "Reply" to this message. Select "Additional Options" (underneath the text area)and choose "Browse".  Browse to your desktop, click the file and click "Open". When finished post the message.

cruiser76

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 23:22:51 »

Done terry, thanks for your help, ive attached the results  ;D
Aye aye captain!

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 23:40:03 »

OK, thanks.

That video card won't be good enough to run Ship Simulator, so yes, a new card will be a jolly good idea. It was worth checking, though!

cruiser76

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 18:44:16 »

cheers Terry!
Aye aye captain!

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 18:58:09 »

No problem! Hope to see you downloading missions soon  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines