Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 06:23:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Have you been on a plane before? Ever?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Planes  (Read 17143 times)

The Captain

• Forum member
Re: Planes
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 21:52:23 »

Is flying a bit scary? How did you feel when you first flew?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 22:00:59 »

Is flying a bit scary? How did you feel when you first flew?
I don't remember when I first flew, the worst parts are take-off and landing.

Take-off it just feels weird and being able to see the ground below you and how fast your going. Landing it is weird just seeing land come so fast and it feels like your in a crash when they put the speed brake on. (Flappy things on the wings that fold up to slow you down) because it makes you asll fly foward, note why they have seatbelts.  :P

TerryRussell

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 23:09:40 »

Hi A|A.

Those are the bits that I really enjoy. It's that feeling as you reach rotation speed and the stick comes back and you leave the ground behind... If only life could be like that always!

Landing is fun also. Heading for that little dot, keeping the speed just right as you drop out of the sky, nose up, flaps at 15 degrees, then 20. Air brakes on if you're swooping in too fast. Man against gravity. Great fun.

The bit in the middle is boring....

Finally someone  who finally sees the cost that goes into buying a plane,  When I talk to my friends they say...
Boat:$5,000 Try $20,000+

It costs me more than that in fuel in a year for my boat..... Costs £5,000+ just to moor in it at Chichester Marina. Plus, plus, plus... Still, I didn't get it because it was cheap. I got it 'cos I love going out in it. (I am the Solent Rocket!)  ;D

But hairyplanes, even small ones are even more expensive.

But an ex-wife beats them all  :'(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 23:19:40 by TerryRussell »

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 00:08:37 »

The bit in the middle is boring....
Yes it is even boring for the pilot. ::)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 00:24:05 »

Yes terry but I am afraid of heights you see, and being high and still seeing the ground is a no no. I would rather just see the "ground" of clouds.  :P

I think the coolest part is that first turn once you get to 5 thousand. Looking directly at the ground (if your leaving Seattle-Tacoma. and are on the starboard side. It is always weird landing when you see all the building right below you. And you can't really see the runway so you have no clue where the runway is.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 00:29:37 by Agent|Austin »

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 00:29:13 »

Well, I think I am going to freak out when I am in the air. Do you go through clouds in the air?

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 00:30:43 »

In a small plane it depends on what kind of mood the pilot is in. :D

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 00:32:10 »

Well, I think I am going to freak out when I am in the air. Do you go through clouds in the air?
Depends if it is cloudy out. You do but the pilots usually fly above the clouds and if there alt is in the clouds they request to climb/descend. It isn't really that bad, if you don't like it get an aisle seat instead of a window. ;)

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 00:35:17 »

Well, my mom got us a great deal on airline tickets, but it is supposed to be in the isle. I really wanted to know what the ground looks like from a plane.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 00:36:20 »

Well, my mom got us a great deal on airline tickets, but it is supposed to be in the isle. I really wanted to know what the ground looks like from a plane.
I will take some video of take-off/landing in 2 weeks when I leave. I have some pics somewhere around here.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 00:38:16 »

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6446

There are some pics I took when I was coming home from Florida.  ;)

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 00:39:35 »

Alright, I would love to see the vids and pics. As I said, I am departing on july 2nd, so I think I will know how it looks from thousands of feet up in the air. I hope ;D.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 00:41:28 »

Alright, I would love to see the vids and pics. As I said, I am departing on july 2nd, so I think I will know how it looks from thousands of feet up in the air. I hope ;D.
Sweet, I should have vidoes/images posted by June 24th/25th since I am leaving the 23rd. :) I'm not sure how my aunts internet connection is *prays for DSL or better*

Note: Planes fly around 30,000 Feet, 9,144 Meters

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 00:43:20 »

Those pictures are breath taking in my opinion. How did you feel when you saw the sun setting on the horizon?

Yea, my grandmas connection sucked when I went on youtube at her house ;D.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 00:44:36 »

Those pictures are breath taking in my opinion. How did you feel when you saw the sun setting on the horizon?

Yea, my grandmas connection sucked when I went on youtube at her house ;D.
It was pretty, on the way there I had to be on the side were the sun was directly in so I had the window cover closed the whole time or else when I was playing ship sim all I could see what whiteness. <3 laptops <3 ship sim <3 fold down trays

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 00:49:02 »

ya and about 377knots or ~450mph or ~0.81mach at that 30,000ft :)
All caculations are not even close because I'm to lazy to use a conversion factor.

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 00:52:13 »

ya and about 377knots or ~450mph or ~0.81mach at that 30,000ft :)
All caculations are not even close because I'm to lazy to use a conversion factor.
More like .4 mach. :P Although I have been on the concord, it is at the museum down here. :)

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 00:53:14 »

Wow, you had a great opportunity to view the sunset and you abused it :D? All for the delight of videogames, tisk tisk.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 00:53:56 »

Wow, you had a great opportunity to view the sunset and you abused it :D? All for the delight of videogames, tisk tisk.
BTW fun flying at night and seeing all the little ants on the freeway.  :P

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 01:04:21 »

"More like .4 mach. Tongue Although I have been on the concord, it is at the museum down here."
ENDMy quote button is broken.

No I just did the calculation and it is really 0.66mach because the speed of sound is faster at altitude.

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 01:06:43 »

"More like .4 mach. Tongue Although I have been on the concord, it is at the museum down here."
ENDMy quote button is broken.

No I just did the calculation and it is really 0.66mach because the speed of sound is faster at altitude.
Oh.  ::)

Duh it is faster, less air in the way up there. ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 10:51:08 »

More like .4 mach. :P Although I have been on the concord, it is at the museum down here. :)

My Dad worked for Vickers Armstrong (they made planes such as the Vickers Vimmy and others), which later became British Aircraft Corporation (they built VC10 and BAC111 etc) and later became part of British Aerospace (Concorde, Harrier etc).

He was the Head of Electrical and Electronic Design and Production. His brother (my Uncle) was Head of Hydraulics.

One summer, when school was out, he asked me if I wanted to go in one of the planes they were working on. He said it was going to "go up for a quick spin". Of course, I WANTED, oh boy I WANTED! He took me to his office at Weybridge and we went out on the runway (what was once Brooklands Racetrack). We got into a small propellor-driven plane. We went up and then landed a few miles further along (At Wisley Aerodrome, about 5 miles away).

There, we got into another small plane and then flew to another company airfield (Bristol, I think). I was having a wonderful day! !  ;D

At Bristol, we got into yet another plane. This one was strange. It had just a few strips of flooring to walk on and just a few seats bolted down. You could see loads of pipes and wires running everywhere. And the strangest things was the funny wings. They were curved! Most odd.  ???

One of my Dad's mates came aboard (Brian Trubshaw, but everyone called him "Tubby"). He said "Gentlemen, today we're off for a spin, but I won't be looping the loop, as George here (My Dad) gets annoyed if I do that. But we are going to take this lady up to maximum".

He then disappeared up the front, followed by my Dad (who was going to keep an eye on the monitoring equipment and also be the radio operator) and we all strapped ourselves in.

After a short while we taxied onto the runway and the plane took off. The noise was immense. We were all pushed back into our seats as the plane went up at a very steep angle. Even from high up, the ground seemed to be moving very fast.

After what seemed like a few minutes, Tubby announced, "If you look out the left, you'll see something you won't forget". He was right. THE PYRAMIDS!

My Dad later told me that we had been flying at more than twice the speed of sound on that trip. That plane was of course Concord. They just don't make them like that any more.  :'(

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 10:54:02 »

Cool, when I was on it, talk about no leg room.  ::)

I did watch it land for the final time at Boeing Field.

My dad works at Boeing in quality management, pretty much he makes charts on how good the quality is of the planes.  :P

Edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:57:20 by [RWP]DJM »

TerryRussell

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 12:15:24 »

Hi A|A.

In that case, your Dad will be very familiar with what I do when I'm not here (my "other" job).

ISO9000 - the international quality management standard.

Nathanael

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 12:55:54 »

I have been on  a plane to Crete which lasted 6 hours. It was during a thunderstorm and everyone was realy scared but since I was young I found it funny for some weird reason!

My brother is planning to become a pilot and he's had about 12 lessons by now and has just got his solo licence. Pretty cool eh? He has to pay at least 160 euro for each one!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines