Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 17:07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding one of Titanic's resturaunts in SS09?  (Read 12389 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: Adding one of Titanic's resturaunts in SS09?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 04:08:38 »

Thanks for the laugh, though, guys ;D

I remember this topic from way back when!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 09:39:18 »

Thanks for the laugh, though, guys ;D

I remember this topic from way back when!

Simple things, simple minds...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Puterboy1

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 23:15:47 »

Isn't it the restaruant in the 1997 film where Rose asks Bruce Ismay if he knows Sigmond Freud? Quotes during the scene:
"Freud, who is he? Is he a passenger?"
Molly Brown: "Who thought of the name Titanic?"
Ruth: "You know I don't like that, Rose."
Cal: "She knows."

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 02:24:37 »

Isn't it the restaruant in the 1997 film where Rose asks Bruce Ismay if he knows Sigmond Freud? Quotes during the scene:
"Freud, who is he? Is he a passenger?"
Molly Brown: "Who thought of the name Titanic?"
Ruth: "You know I don't like that, Rose."
Cal: "She knows."
Yup, a scene which has a bare minimum of two fallacies:

1) The Verandah Café and Palm Court was basically a first class Edwardian equivalent of a snack bar: full course meals would never be offered there.
2) Freud did not do any research into the male mind until years after Titanic sank; until that point, his work dealt with the female mind.

On another note, Margret Brown was never called "Molly" until after Titanic sank. In fact, she was never even called that in her life! Her friends called her Maggie, not Molly.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:27:51 by RMS Gigantic »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 13:36:04 »

The narration early in that dreadful film says "..that history would go on to call..." ie she is talking in 1994 or whenever that dull film was filmed.

Dr Sigmund Freud was a psychoanalist for 20 years before the sinking of that dull ship. Even though many of his greatest works were not published until 1920s (and in fact many more by nazi Germany post 33) it is probable that he had the workings already in his head long before.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 03:54:11 »

The narration early in that dreadful film says "..that history would go on to call..." ie she is talking in 1994 or whenever that dull film was filmed.

Dr Sigmund Freud was a psychoanalist for 20 years before the sinking of that dull ship. Even though many of his greatest works were not published until 1920s (and in fact many more by nazi Germany post 33) it is probable that he had the workings already in his head long before.
1) She said her friends called her Molly, and that history would go on to call her the Unsinkable Molly Brown. The fallacy still stands.

2) In his head, but unreleased, so the idea of her knowing exactly that particular theory of his is still fallacious.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 15:14:22 »

I don't understand the point though- it was a hollywood film and not a factual documentary. I dare say we could find MANY more problems with the film than that!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 22:14:28 »

I don't understand the point though- it was a hollywood film and not a factual documentary. I dare say we could find MANY more problems with the film than that!
I assure you, there ARE a lot more, even aside from the fact that the basic plot is nothing more than Cinderella with swapped social castes where Prince Charming dies, with an entirely implausible sex scene thrown in!

My issue is that I know it is not meant to be any kind of documentary, but way too many of the people I meet try to treat it as a docudrama.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 13:46:22 »

It's a dreadful film. When I say I am against tita....zzzz it is actually the dreadfully dull film more than the ship itself.

Though I might be in the minority on that.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 20:14:22 »

It's a dreadful film. When I say I am against tita....zzzz it is actually the dreadfully dull film more than the ship itself.

Though I might be in the minority on that.
Rest assured that the model gets a lot more right about the vessel than the film does ;D It is, after all, getting research support from one of the most tireless Titanic research communities out there!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines