Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 09:20:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I flipped the Pride of Rotterdam  (Read 9652 times)

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
Re: I flipped the Pride of Rotterdam
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 10:27:43 »

Does a real ship in the real world also capsize when the anchors are lowered while the ship has some speed? Or is it a bug in Shipsim? I managed to capsize the Pride of Rotterdam in the Nieuwe Waterweg. You could let your ship capsize in the multiplayer mode, then you are playing a ship's disaster.

Depends. In most situations a ship will drag her anchors along the sea bed, but if the anchors catch a strong hold on something like a massive rock, or a shipwreck, then it could do some serious damage. Having said that, the POR's anchor chains and winches e.t.c probably wouldn't be strong enough to pull her under, since they'd have to be strong enough to lift the whole ship in the air in order to overcome her displacement. But an anchor could probably roll a ship onto its side in certain circumstances, if the anchor was down on one side and the ship was moving at speed.

Also, the anchor chain is attached to the the frame work, which isnt strong enough to support the entire weight of the ship. It's also designed to be something of a weak link, so in all likely hood, the shackle would just rip itself out and the anchor chain would come all the way out of the chain locker, and down into the sea....

McGherkin

• Forum member
Re: I flipped the Pride of Rotterdam
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 19:15:25 »

which is what I meant by the chains and winches not being strong enough...
Almost never here, try here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines