Hello Guest October 05, 2024, 23:52:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck Officer Cadet  (Read 2078 times)

James89uk

• Forum member
Deck Officer Cadet
« on: May 02, 2008, 16:23:22 »

Hi all,

This morning I received a letter to tell me that I have been offered a Deck Officer Cadetship a major cruise line.  The course involves studying at a shore-side nautical college in the UK, and gaining practical work experience onboard one of the company's cruise ships; within three years you should have your Officer of the Watch Certificate of Competency (plus degree), giving you the opportunity to become a 3rd Officer onboard. You then have the opportunity to return to college after a few years to get your Chief Officer and Master Mariner qualifications.

A Deck Officer is mainly located up on the Ship's Bridge; they are responsible for navigation, safety, maintenance etc; whilst much of the ship’s legal and international business affairs are handled by the Senior Deck Officers. Only Deck Officers can be promoted to the rank of Captain (Master).

Take care, and calm seas to all! :-)

James
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 23:12:20 by James89uk »

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
Re: Deck Officer Trainee (Carnival UK)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 17:07:07 »

Congratulations James and I hope everything goes well for you :)

ContainerShip

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 20:25:08 »

Please PM or post if you know when the course starts or what Nautical College it is at ? I was selected by Clyde Marine Training to start at Fleetwood near Blackpool , in May ( 22 days from now ) ... I went for and had a succesful MCA ENG1 Medical exam on Tuesday so if your going there also ? maybe see ya there.

CS

Edit: Just read your blog ... September start ... good luck with it! Carnival is not bad at all!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 20:28:44 by ContainerShip »

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 23:01:09 »

FLEETWOOD is were i was born sailed out of (FISHING) my family live pasted my
mates ticket ,wireless tickets a good college with really good teachers.
                                                                                           Eric.

ContainerShip

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 00:30:01 »

Thanks for posting SadSid looking forward to it more now that I read your comments.

Thanks James ... you to buddy , I dont find out my sponsoring company until later so , will let you know though if its anything interesting.

CS

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:18:07 »

I'm a 1'st Officer myself, with Color Line. Sounds like you are heading towards a more interesting job than just sailing between two ports. I may loose my job anyway, they're going to sell my ship, the Prinsesse Ragnhild.

3'rd Officers on the bridge? Well they usually have to make coffee, do the dishes, clean monitors and screens, toilets...and so on ;)

Wish you all the best for your future.

MMMMMM

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:21:24 »

thats great good luck hope everything works out

ContainerShip

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 19:17:51 »

well my course got brought forward 21 days ... it starts this monday ( 12th ) ... 3 or 4 days away ... it just means i'll be a bit busier getting prepared but making it will still be no problem so ... hopefully i'll find out much sooner than i expected.

good luck to ya Subwolf , hope you find other equipment.

i'll post in this topic when i find out my sponsoring company.

thanks for reading.

ContainerShip

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 18:35:07 »

Hey guys ,

for anyone that is interested ... an ultra-breif update on my previous post above , when i had not started my course yet :

I am now 3 weeks in , absolutely loving it , learning a great deal and looking forward to the rest of this Phase ( have approx 5 weeks left ) because there is now alot of practical work on water , first aid , personal survival techniques and fire-fighting which is the currect 3 day course I am on ... I do feel it is intense but not overwhelming , and again it does make me more confident before going to sea.

I have found out the company sponsoring me is the Maritime Educational Foundation , which is not a very well-known commercial company in terms of they do not own or operate ships ... so what happens is I will recieve my berth info just days before I leave , so this does make it more exciting. I have also been given a tip-off by my training manager , and it is leading me to believe that I will be operating on ships with the name ... Royal Caribbean International. As I understand , this is not a terrible company , and also they do not run with many cadets at all ... so I just hope it is interesting and that I learn from it. I will leave to go and join my ship in 5 weeks , and that is when Phase 2 begins ... 4 months sea-time experience ... I think it should be o.k.

I will try to keep posting here again soon. Thanks for reading.

CS
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 18:38:35 by ContainerShip »

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:24:17 »

Royal Caribbean is a great company, it's a Norwegian/American company with a fleet of 35 cruise ships at the moment, and crew are treated well. Their latest ship Independence of the Seas is the largest cruise liner in the world, and they got an even bigger ship under construction, the Genesis class.

Picture below is the new Independence arriving in Oslo a few weeks ago, I was there and talked to a couple of Norwegian officers. They love the company, the ship...and the pay ;D

As for me, I'm transferred to the Superspeed 1, so I have to settle with sailing between Kristiansand and Hirtshals in Denmark. But I guess it's okay, family want it this way so I got nothing to say about it ;)

Good luck with your careers James and ContainerShip :)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:39:48 by Subwolf »

ContainerShip

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 18:12:36 »

Thanks for info/comment and AWESOME picture Subwolf! ... that is 1 fantastic liner indeed.

CS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines