Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 15:23:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Eagle Controls  (Read 3412 times)

giffyp

• Forum member
Red Eagle Controls
« on: April 13, 2008, 15:27:48 »

Hi
Ive searched on the forum for this and i realise there are a few topics, but im afraid still dont quite understand.
So using the most current SS08 patch, how do you control the Red Eagle?
That is using the controls found in the bottom left hand corner when the control button is clicked, as in the bottom left control wheel makes the ship do 'X' and the bottom right control wheel makes the ship do 'Y' etc.
Sorry for bringing this up again.
Thanks,
Gareth :)

mvsmith

Re: Red Eagle Controls
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 16:26:38 »

Hi Gareth,
There is a short explanation in the Mission Editor Tutorial PDF that you can find in FAQ and Announcements > Tutorials. If you follow the links there, you will also find another PDF that explains operating Red Eagle from the stern-facing control station.
There is also a topic buried in Small Talk on the operation of the VSP.
Regards,
Marty

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 16:36:02 »

just use the arrow keys to move the engines to 100%. then to turn left, use the large wheel on the right turned left and the left one right. and vise versa.

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

q

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:01:05 »

hey guys
just wonderin wat u guys think of the titanic mission
cheers q

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:03:59 »

hey guys
just wonderin wat u guys think of the titanic mission
cheers q
That was the most random post yet, please stay on topic.

q

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:07:34 »

i am not random

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:08:46 »

i am not random

Hmm, posting about a titanic mission in a topic about red eagle controls. >.<

q

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:11:35 »

ok i will get back on topic, i think the controlls are very weird and personally i think they are stupid and very unrealistik

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:23 »

ok i will get back on topic, i think the controlls are very weird and personally i think they are stupid and very unrealistik
They are realistic. The exact same controls red eagle has. But they do need to be tweaked a bit for ship sim purposes.

q

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:41:55 »

wat is the idea of them then

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:17 »

wat is the idea of them then
Idea of what? The ship. That it is different. You do know all ships are based off a real ship.

q

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 10:10:01 »

m8 i am an expert at boats in this game and in real life
of course i do

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 11:17:09 »

Just wondering: in ShipSim you can't pass the steering of Red Eagle beyond 360 degrees
By this I mean there is a stop on the "6-o'clock" position..
Is it like that on the real ship..?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:52:14 by saltydog »

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:14 »

Hi Saltydog,

No it's not quite the same as the real one.

In the picture the indicator you can see infront of you is the engine if you like (ahead and astern) which goes from 0-100% pitch,  just to the right you can partially see the rudder indicator for the aft unit, as you can see it goes from 0% midships to 100% pitch port or stbd and thats not quite a full 360.
Under normal operation at full speed you wouldn't go over 50% or your fillings will rattle out and it probably wouldn't do the ship much good either.
As you can see here the ship has 100% ahead pitch if you brought the handle back to 0% you would slow and then if you continued to turn it you would begin to go astern.

Also the rudder indicator for the fwd unit faces the opposite way to the aft one so it's more of a natural scene when you look at them for berthing etc you can see which way your thrust is going.

Both engines are tied together in whats called synchronised mode so when you opperate the upper throttle handle (if you like) both engines will increase/decrease pitch.

The actual speed of the engine is controlled by four buttons, normal opperation speed is button 3.

Hope this helps.

pigdog
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:17:01 by pigdog »
[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:24:51 »

Thanks pigdog, but what I meant is
For example: you are going reverse (helm view), steering 175 ... If you want to go reverse 185 you have to turn the wheel all the way around, instead of moving it ten degrees..It's not really a big issue..But if I understand the principal of the propulsion system correctly, it wouldn't need to work that way..

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:52:07 »

There are many different variations on this system mostly built to customer specs for their individual vessels or fleets.
I'm led to believe that the developers of SS have used the basic operation of this propulsion system to keep things simple.

All I know is on the real red eagle it's slightly different to how it is in the sim by means of the contol wheels on the side of the console operate your ahead and astern pitch and the wheels on top of the console operate your steering pitch, I've also used a tug with this system and it woked in a similar way to the red eagle but instead of two wheels for ahead and astern pitch you had two throttle handles and one large wheel for your steering/direction input.

There are a couple of other posts that go into more detail about this subject have a little search around you might find something to help.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 13:09:34 »

Will do..   I have a sneaky feeling that stop at 6 will dissapear someday..
I can't imagine other systems, like azipods, having that kind of restriction.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 13:11:42 by saltydog »

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 13:44:13 »

I hope so salty, there are some restrictions on the pods of the B2 and ocean star in certain in-game modes when using joysticks at the moment but hopefully thats on the cards too to be fixed or improved.

Happy hunting there's quite a bit on the red eagle dotted about the place.

Cheers

pigdog

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 14:12:57 »

There is no stop a 180 on Red Eagle. The azimuth wheels are continuous through multiple revolutions. Only the L/R keys have that restriction. Steering with the mouse is the easiest, and most sensible, in most circumstances.
Marty

With precision steering off, the left or right arrow key will rapidly set you to 180. If you hold the Shift key while you do that, and first release the arrow key, you will then be able to steer through 180 with the mouse.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 14:23:19 by mvsmith »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 15:29:50 »

I do use the keys for steering..
It makes sense now: you assign a key to "turn left", and it will go no further than "full left"
and the same for right..
Perhaps they should add some new commands. Like "rotate steering clockwise, rotate steering a-clockwise"
This would also be handy with azipods..
Anyway, thanks for that, Marty :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:50:11 by saltydog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines