Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 01:49:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AI are braindead  (Read 2310 times)

BladeVsNeo

• Forum member
AI are braindead
« on: April 08, 2008, 15:23:07 »

Ok, I was just doing the mission (in NH) where you have to bring the cargo ship Agile into Padstow harbour and I had just dropped anchor and was just about to park the Angel alongside to drop off the people when all of a sudden a stupid yacht came sailing straight into the side of the Agile and then skidded down the side of it (ramming me in the Angel in the process) and just kept on going as if I had never been there. :o

I also had a similar thing happen earlier as I was brining the Agile into the river estuary. Except this time a powerboat just decided to do a U-turn right into the side of me and upon hitting me, launched himself up and over my bow before continuing along on his merry way without even batting an eye! ???

I thought the AI had been fixed since patch 1.1! I never had any problems with them until now?! What happened to the AI? Seems they've been turned into mindless zombies.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: AI are braindead
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 16:55:47 »

AI have always had problems :)

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 17:01:53 »

I think the very Idea of bringing Agile Solution into Padstow is brain dead.
AI has never been “fixed”, if by that you mean it is aware of player ships and obeys COLREGS.
It is up to you to stay out of their way. Some missions are designed in such a way as to make that very difficult. My only suggestion for coping with those is to take time to observe —from a safe distance—the behavior of the AI, and plan a strategy to avoid getting hit. Otherwise, find another mission.
Marty

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 19:26:31 »

From what I can remember the AI have alternated between suicidal nutters and reasonable sailors with each patc- er sorry update. Most recently they have been mostly OK (except when spawning a large slow vessel in certain places).
Now that I have installed the (otherwise excellent) New Horizons the bad guys are definitely back! For me the worst was the 'Fisher follows fish' mission. I can understand that sailing the Northstar and rescuing folk needs caution while among the big vessels because it is then my duty to keep out of their way.... but right at the end  while slowly plodding towards God's Port I was torpedoed by a gold-plated, 5-star, card-carrying, ocean-going b%%*!!! in a powerboat. No excuse for that is there? If there were any justice in the world a giant hand would appear out of a boiling cloud and use an equally giant fly-swatter on people like that.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 19:55:17 »

Steve,
Giving AI smarts is not a trivial matter if you think about the amount of computation that is required between each frame. Just to make an AI vessel “aware” of other ships around her us tough enough, but then you need to decide how to handle the encounter. This requires projecting the tracks and deciding on an appropriate maneuver. The AI vessel is constrained by her path; if she is diverted too far, she will go wild.
All this activity can adversely affect frame rates. This may be why an attempt to tame AI in one version is abandoned in the next.
Marty

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 20:12:50 »

I understand all that (and it is an achievement that they have it at all) but perhaps small fast stuff could be restricted in speed unless well clear of other traffic (and certainly not allowed to fly out of Portsmouth harbour entrance.
Wonder if they could ever program AI to slow right down in response to us using 'H' (ship's whistle) - would be really cool if it could read the number of blasts and 'know' what we intend doing next
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

BladeVsNeo

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 05:46:05 »

From what I can remember the AI have alternated between suicidal nutters and reasonable sailors with each patc- er sorry update.
Yes I'm glad someone else has noticed this. Patch 1.1 fixed it wonderfully as at one point I remember having the vermass sitting sideways across the whole river in Hamburg as I was rotating it on the spot and there were rows of AI ships coming from both directions sitting patiently waiting for me to move. That was good! ;D

perhaps small fast stuff could be restricted in speed unless well clear of other traffic
I agree totally. WE slow down for larger ships so it's natural that the AI should do the same for us.  >:(

Hering

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:24:51 »

:) :) :) :)

In ShipSim 2006 the ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE was funktionable.

The intelligent AI´s stopped if they were disturbed in their course, privileged or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines