Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 09:54:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: new titanic, best titanic  (Read 26993 times)

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: new titanic, best titanic
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 14:35:22 »

Here a reference to identify the decks
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/deckplans/
Regards,
Luc

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 17:04:12 »

a good one  ;D

Titanic1912

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2007, 17:35:21 »

But why is there a steering wheel on the stern?
"Red sky at night, sailor's delight;
Red sky in morning, sailors take warning."

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2007, 17:46:44 »

That's the docking bridge.

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2007, 17:09:11 »

It is a spare steering wheel in case the bridge ones should fail. One of what looks like an engine telegraph was a Maneuvering telegraph which could relay helm orders to the docking bridge. If you check the 2nd. telegraph on port side of the bridge you can see the inner most circle it says 5,10,15,20 etc. up to 40. That is the helm order.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2007, 19:10:53 »

actualy it is to manuver the stern of the ship better for in the port, like the normal bridge can't see what happens to the back of the ship, but the sternbridge CAN see that, so it is just for making the ship better to move in the port  ;)

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2007, 19:42:23 »

actualy it is to manuver the stern of the ship better for in the port, like the normal bridge can't see what happens to the back of the ship, but the sternbridge CAN see that, so it is just for making the ship better to move in the port  ;)

I doubt that because rudder would have very little effect when navigating near the pier at very slow speed. Center propel would be cut off so there would be little water wash around the rudder. It would also require that the command was transferred to docking bridge. Also they had tugs to make the final navigating.

But you are right that they would have better view from there. My guess it that they would only relay the engine suggestions to the bridge and leave the final manuvering to the tugs. (The telegraphs on the docking bridge was connected to the bridge and not directly to the engine room).

There is this famous film of what was said to be Titanic backing off from a pier. It was actually Olympic. The film shows tugboats assisting in moving the Olympic away from the pier.

But you are indeed right that the wheel could be used to operate the rudder. I am not sure but would there be some form of handle in the engine room somewhere so only the bridge wheel or the aft. docking bridge wheel would work.

If they ever used the wheel on the aft.docking bridge it would have to have happened on eighter the Olympic or the Britannic. I have never seen anything about this, but then again I have never seen that they would not use it, so my knowledge of this is very limited ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 19:50:05 by Al Bundy »

jason210

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2007, 19:59:57 »

But you are indeed right that the wheel could be used to operate the rudder. I am not sure but would there be some form of handle in the engine room somewhere so only the bridge wheel or the aft. docking bridge wheel would work.

Would be interesting to find out about this. I always assumed the wheels fore and aft operated in tandem. The reason why there is a wheel on the docking bridge is case there was a failure of the telemotor on the bridge. The telemotor was a system for remotely operating the steam steering engine via a hydraulic system.  In the case of a failure, the ship could be steered manually from the wheel on the docking bridge. However, the guy on the docking bridge would not be able to see where he was going, so steering commands were sent to him from the main bridge via the steering telegraphs.

Can read all about it here:

http://marconigraph.com/

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2007, 20:12:02 »

Can read all about it here:

http://marconigraph.com/

This is actually the same article I read before posting my reply :D

According to "The Shipbuilder" the aft. docking bridge wheel is connected mecanically to the rudder. It does not mention if it is permanent. The steering engine plans only show the telemotors as a mean of connection, not that they were reserved for the bridge wheel alone. I am just wondering if they would not make some sort of security so passengers could not climb up to the docking bridge and play with the wheel countermanding the wheel orders from the bridge. Or maybe that is why there would be an officer on watch there :) 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 20:31:11 by Al Bundy »

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2007, 20:23:26 »

I just got this game today and had a quick look around the Titanic and I have to say I'm very impressed. It even runs smoother than 2006 did.

I can't wait for them to open the Verandah and Palm Court. I reall hope we can get down to Scotland Road and even the Turkish Baths. I would also love to see the Grand Staircase opened too. All the way down to F Deck.

Amazing ship I have to say. I can't wait for the 1st patch so we can actually sink it. Somehow in the Atlantic my titanic listed HEAVILY towards the starboard side.....don't know why though as I didnt turn the ship. It was just sailing Full Ahead...

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2007, 20:31:34 »

the stern telegraphs also were directly connected to the main bridge, so ''using for deffect engines is also wrong''

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2007, 20:32:50 »

I can't wait for them to open the Verandah and Palm Court. I reall hope we can get down to Scotland Road and even the Turkish Baths.

I would like to go to the telegraph room and send out the CQD :)

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2007, 20:36:21 »

the stern telegraphs also were directly connected to the main bridge, so ''using for deffect engines is also wrong''

Well if the engines were defect then no telegraph would be of any use. ;)

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2007, 20:38:02 »

Oh yeah, how could I forget about that. There are so many places I want to go to on the Titanic. I was very disappointed with Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time where they cut loads of places out, an amazing game non the less, I have just always wanted a full tour of the ship in a game or something. Shame VStep wont make a Titanic game itself, like a Remake of Adventure Out Of Time.

Another place I would love to go is to some 3rd Class areas because we never really hear much about them do we.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2007, 20:41:18 »

I would like to go to the telegraph room and send out the CQD :)

you mean the macroni room  ;)

Oh yeah, how could I forget about that. There are so many places I want to go to on the Titanic. I was very disappointed with Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time where they cut loads of places out, an amazing game non the less, I have just always wanted a full tour of the ship in a game or something. Shame VStep wont make a Titanic game itself, like a Remake of Adventure Out Of Time.

Another place I would love to go is to some 3rd Class areas because we never really hear much about them do we.

well, do you know how much work it is to make only the model of titanic, include collissions (invisible walls floors objects ect.) and then the textures!?, and do you also know how good computer you need for that, and it will take hours to load, like i am also making a 3d titanic for the game mafia (www.titanicmod.uni.cc)
and i am working almost a year on it and i only finished:

boiler deck 1,2,3
deck a
boat deck
bow
stern
deck c
deck b(for a half)
deck d
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 20:44:55 by mr robville »

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2007, 20:49:08 »

Oh yeah, I understand it will take a very long time, that's why I suggested a seperate game. They don't have to have it as one whole thing, like so they could make it when you go through a door say to the outside, it will load the outside as a seperate area if you know what I mean

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2007, 20:52:44 »

you mean the macroni room  ;)
Hehe yes, the name just slipped my mind ;)

well, do you know how much work it is to make only the model of titanic, include collissions (invisible walls floors objects ect.) and then the textures!?,

probably a lot but one can wish :)  In the Titanic Adventure out of time they had a lot of rooms. I think you could go to a boiler room and I am sure you could climb up in a funnel. Can't remember if you could go to the engine room though. I never played it to the end.

It did not perform well on my 75 Mhz computer untill I upgraded it to 24 mb ram. Then it ran well.

But it would still be nice to be able to climb up in the crows nest. That would not take a lot of efford. ;)

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2007, 20:58:15 »

In Adventure Out Of Time you could climb the last funnel from the engine room. A lot of the main areas were there besides the Dining Room, Swimming Pool and the Officers Quaters. You could get to a fair few places though however the game stated that the Titanic's bottom Deck was G Deck, so they missed the Orlop Deck and Tank Top out

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2007, 21:07:01 »

They had Scotland Road in Adventure Out Of Time too!  ;D

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2007, 21:09:22 »

They did. But it was all spit up by doors and wasnt as wide as it should have been. But then that was back in 1996 and we know alot more about the ship now than they did then.

jason210

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 21:37:16 »

Regarding the engine telegraphs on the docking bridge. They have been dubbed by Bill Sauder as maneuvering (could never spell that word) telegraphs. These sent advisory orders only to the red dial telegraphs on the main bridge. Whether those advisory orders were carried out or not would depend on the decision of the officer in charge on the main bridge. If the officer decided it was ok to go ahead with those orders, then the main engine telegraphs on the bridge would be operated, which were linked directly to the engine room.

The whole reason behind this is that the crew on the docking bridge could not see where they were going! Of course they also had telephones, but in those days bells and telegraphs were the main communication system.

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 08:03:25 »

Learn about the telegraphs used onboard the Titanic:
http://titanic.marconigraph.com/mgy_eotelegraphs4.html

;)
BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.

shipfan55

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2007, 02:32:33 »

i hope in ss08 when the sink patch comes out i want to see if the water comes splashing and rushing in throug the deck and there were huge splashes when a window breaks or a room with no opening ull of air but has windows explodes!

(I didnt mean to make fun of ittianic,just ant some realism,may be impossible though. :))

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2007, 16:38:32 »

I understand that you want it realistic, but for me it is not so wery important if Titanic can sink or not, I want to sail the Titanic, not watch it sink.

I think ship sim is about sailing and not sinking, like flightsim is for flying and not for crashing.
I'm not saying I dont want ship to sink, but I dont want to sink ship just for fun. Sailing is fun, not sinking.  ;)
BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2007, 19:01:13 »

75 Mhz computers must be something very old stuff :o :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines