Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 21:15:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solent - Tankers  (Read 2365 times)

JXBURNS

• Forum member
Solent - Tankers
« on: July 06, 2007, 23:16:31 »

Tankers over 80KDWT (if I remember correctly) always approach from the east i.e., from the Nab Tower, not the way the simulation places the tanker approaching from the west. This is due to the tides and cross-currents just south of Calshot. I have had some enjoyable experiences taking tankers into Fawley both on the simulator at Warsash and for real. And one of my company's tankers only sailed from there today..

John

muns

• Forum member
Re: Solent - Tankers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:02:34 »

I think you will find its due to the constraints near the Needlea and Hurst point.

All deep draft vessels will aproach from the east of the island (NAB tower), they will have to take a southerly passage past the Brambles bank, turn to the north on the western side of it, head north easterly and then turn up into southampton water.

The main channel is shown by the blue lines on the pic, the north channel by the magenta ones.

To get live vessel locations on the solent try http://www.ais-live.co.uk/AIS%20Live/aissolent.html

JXBURNS

• Forum member
Re: Solent - Tankers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:58:25 »

In fact the maximum draft at Fawley is no more than around 15m dependent upon tide with maximum displacement of around 240K tonnes. So a fully laden VLCC would never get in there anyway discharging often first at Rotterdam or Antifer. Afraxmaxes of around 120K tonnes can come in fully loaded (again on the tide).

There are also, as mentioned, draft restrictions in & around the deep draft channel which is a pain especially during Cowes week when the old adage of 'sail gives way to steam' is taken literally by some 'weekend' yacht people who think they can force a tanker to give way at a moment's notice. ::)

But the cross-currents just south of Calshot can cause some problems as I mentioned earlier..

John

con875

• Forum member
Oil Rigs
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:12:58 »

I was wondering what you can do with the oil rigs? For instance, can you load the oil from the rig into the supertanker ship? Are there any other features?    :-\

Captain Kool

• Forum member
Re: Oil Rigs
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:35:07 »

I was wondering what you can do with the oil rigs? For instance, can you load the oil from the rig into the supertanker ship? Are there any other features?    :-\

You've already started a topic with this question!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines