Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 08:07:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My opinion of SS2008 ...  (Read 2700 times)

Derxen

• Forum member
My opinion of SS2008 ...
« on: July 06, 2007, 21:30:14 »

Hey Guys,

First of all I'd like congratulate the crew with their SS08 goldstatus. Good job ...

But of course we users always have some issues that we like to discuss, so do I ...

* Detailed ship
* (Better) detailed enviroment
* Free Roaming mode
* Walking cam
* Waves

But those likes are actually also my dislikes. I'll explain why:

The details of the ship stop inside. It's just an empty space with some controls... pitty. Also ... the ships could have done waaay better with better textures that don't make ships look like they have never ever been used.

The enviroment is better than in 2006, but it is very very static, maybe you guys can do something about that. Loading cars on a ship would be very nice.

The walking cam is great, but the cam is just done too quick. I can see through walls and see the emptyness of the ship. Also when walking "down" at the backside of "Pride of Rotterdam" ... you can't get up anymore ... the stairs are up->down only or something... I get stuck on the way back.

The waves are good, but In my humble opinion .... I think they're too simple. It looks like a 3dmax wave on a flat surface. All waves are exactly the same... especially on a distance this looks too weird. The boat also doesn't move accurate at all! It moves quite correct in horizontal ways, but not at all correct vertically.... pitty.

Yes there is pleeeeenty of work to do for 2008 OR 2010.

But great job so far ;)

J3nsen

• Forum member
Re: My opinion of SS2008 ...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:52:57 »

I think if you press space or something, you fall back in the controll tower, i dont think it's soo easy to make waves and the move's! But it will come patch and more stuff later, it was many problems wid the SS06 in the begining!  :-\ It's not just to make a game widout problem's! :)

J3nsen

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:41:20 »

hmm your convincing me not to buy the game now..lol

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:39:07 »

Derxen

Sounds like the words from one that have been using Virtual Sailor for years. :P
Your opinion matters anyway since it will give VSTEP new ideas about what to add in the next versions :)

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 13:00:57 »

hmm your convincing me not to buy the game now..lol

No, just telling they trying to make a game widout that problems! :)

Not easy to make the perfekt game! :P

Derxen

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 17:20:33 »

No, just telling they trying to make a game widout that problems! :)

Not easy to make the perfekt game! :P

I know it's not easy to make games, but the current wave effects are easier than you might think ;) And trust me ... I know :).

I certainly am not trying to convince people not to buy this game, especially since there is no good alternative. I just think that this game is still in a beta fase, eventhough it's the second gold status. The things that ARE good are the responds of the boat to engine controls and the details that the ships have compared to 2006. It's just that this games has soo much work still to be done. I hope 2008 sells great, so
they can put some more money into the development.

Things that I (spoiled gamer) like to see in 2010(?):

• Watersurface that actually make boats float as they should. Or should I say ... better physics? Just take a
    look at SS2008 in "rough sea" ... the boat does move yes, but really not responding to waves vertically. And as you all know ... waves pick up boats very easilly.
  • More control (simulation) of the boat. Such as: lights, wipers, engine (on/off)... but also boat-specific things, such as control of ramps for ferries, or cranes for unloading small stuff.
  • More dynamic scenery, such as cars, (more) other boats and people
  • Well ... and then there's an overall need for better textures that make things come alive better.

Anyway ... I'm proud of everything that Holland has accomplished so far and I will continue to support this great sim :).

Harry G

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 20:42:06 »

I agree with every point you make Derxen. It does seem to have been released a little prematurely, but at least it's better than waiting another few months, in my opinion. Overall I am quite satisfied with it, despite these hiccups you can tell that the developers have put in a reasonable amount of effort.

Warspite2

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 22:09:28 »

I know it's not easy to make games, but the current wave effects are easier than you might think ;) And trust me ... I know :).

I certainly am not trying to convince people not to buy this game, especially since there is no good alternative. I just think that this game is still in a beta fase, eventhough it's the second gold status. The things that ARE good are the responds of the boat to engine controls and the details that the ships have compared to 2006. It's just that this games has soo much work still to be done. I hope 2008 sells great, so
they can put some more money into the development.

Things that I (spoiled gamer) like to see in 2010(?):

• Watersurface that actually make boats float as they should. Or should I say ... better physics? Just take a
    look at SS2008 in "rough sea" ... the boat does move yes, but really not responding to waves vertically. And as you all know ... waves pick up boats very easilly.
  • More control (simulation) of the boat. Such as: lights, wipers, engine (on/off)... but also boat-specific things, such as control of ramps for ferries, or cranes for unloading small stuff.
  • More dynamic scenery, such as cars, (more) other boats and people
  • Well ... and then there's an overall need for better textures that make things come alive better.

Anyway ... I'm proud of everything that Holland has accomplished so far and I will continue to support this great sim :).

I agree, much more can be done and all of that you mention would be great. On the other hand, I am amazed at what this game has become from what it was originally already. Oh, try that speed boat in free roam and select an open ocean with 4m waves. I noticed that boat was bobbing all over the place, I even had it jumping waves it was quite fun  :)

con875

• Forum member
Oil Rigs
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 22:16:28 »

I was wondering what you can do with the oil rigs? For instance, can you load the oil from the rig into the supertanker ship? Are there any other features?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines