Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 20:45:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmmm...  (Read 7090 times)

TerryRussell

Re: Hmmm...
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 13:30:44 »

Hi Saltydog.

I don't think so. The processor has its work cut out in calculating all of the postions of all of the objects in all of the different visual layers. If it can't do the maths fast enough and then send all of the instructions to the card fast enough, reult => jerky images

Worst case this will cause a buffer overflow as the data piles up in the queue. Result => crash.

The video card will just sit around, doing its knitting or reading the newspaper, etc waiting for some new instructions to arrive.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 15:04:44 »

I think the processor is "the weakest link" in your system, Nub Cake..
It might be a good idea to upgrade it sometime.. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 17:05:38 by saltydog »

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 22:16:16 »

Darn.. why haven't Nvidia listed a GF8600GT 1024 MB card in their table then... :-X
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8600.html
According to this page it should be DDR3 memory ???
Sure it must be someone that can explain me this :P

EDIT: Oh no I get it... it mus be a prefabricated over clocked version :D

And from nowhere... Gainward have even made a 1 GB GDDR card based on the 8600GT :o

Holly ****... I must have missed something ;D ;D

By the way, reading a review of this 1 GB card. They recommend to spend the money on a 8600 GTS card since the 1 GB version of 8600 GT will have a weaker performance than the 256 MB version. In other words: PR- stunts from Gainward! They are good at it ;)

Edit: language. Luc
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 22:43:15 by LucAtC »

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 22:40:58 »

Hello JHB,
As you probably know, Nvidia makes chipsets, GPUs and the supporting software. Nvidia also publishes and edits recommendations, specifications to use its chips, including design of PCBs and cooling.
There not as many plants as there are makes of video cards (generic, Albatron, Asustek, Gainward, Leadtek, MSI, PNY, Point of View, Sapphire,...), but all of the latter have their own design, improving (eventually) Nvidia's one. Gainward and Sparkle (others perhaps too) decided that using GDDR2 was good enough for these cards, and they probably had their reasons for that. Also, their commercial objectives are not the same as those of Nvidia, and they surely know far more about graphic cards than we do, about their specifications and their price. And of course, GDDR2 is cheaper than GDDR3, etc... So, summarizing, Gainward is not Nvidia.
Regards,  ;)
Luc

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 22:52:30 »

Hello JHB,
As you probably know, Nvidia makes chipsets, GPUs and the supporting software. Nvidia also publishes and edits recommendations, specifications to use its chips, including design of PCBs and cooling.
There not as many plants as there are makes of video cards (generic, Albatron, Asustek, Gainward, Leadtek, MSI, PNY, Point of View, Sapphire,...), but all of the latter have their own design, improving (eventually) Nvidia's one. Gainward and Sparkle (others perhaps too) decided that using GDDR2 was good enough for these cards, and they probably had their reasons for that. Also, their commercial objectives are not the same as those of Nvidia, and they surely know far more about graphic cards than we do, about their specifications and their price. And of course, GDDR2 is cheaper than GDDR3, etc... So, summarizing, Gainward is not Nvidia.
Regards,  ;)
Luc

I got that...even before you wrote it ;) :P

raivo

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 23:50:33 »

I'm playing on HP Pavilion notebook (2.20 Intel Core2Duo, 2048 RAM) - works very well!
raivo, able seaman

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 23:29:03 »

God, the fact that you guys don't believe me, winds me up. I know what video card I have and what it can do. Why should I "lie" about it? This wasn't my question either, I asked if my PC was good enough to handle ShipSim, and not discuss about my graphics card! Look at the photo and STOP this discussion, thank you.

Edited for language, DJM.

I wonder what's offensive about what I said? ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 10:22:35 »

Hi Nub Cake.

DJM has kindly softened the original words you used.

There are youngsters using this site and all posters should take great care about the words used when posting here. A word that doesn't seem offensive to a 23 year old Brit may seem highly inappropriate to the parents of a 10 year American child, for example.

On the other hand, a word used in daily life by an 18 year old from the Netherlands may be inappropriate when translated and viewed by a 12 year old New Zealander.

So, for that reason the moderators will always have to err on the side of caution, won't they?

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 10:26:49 »

I just don't like the feeling that a moderator thinks that I said something offensive :o
If you didn't know, I was a moderator too  :'(

TerryRussell

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 10:29:50 »

Hi Nub Cake.

Perfectly aware of that.

As I say, a term used without a second thought in one country can be offensive in another. It's a minefield!

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 12:58:21 »

I wonder what's offensive about what I said? ::)

Hiya Chantal :)

It's nothing personal, I do it quite often on the forum......as you know ;)

The term you used is actually deemed as swearing in some Countries, including the UK.  That's the reason I edited it :)

Regards.

DJM/Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 00:14:50 »

i got a pc with 2.0ghz duo core, 2Gb memory and 8600Gt 512 wich can reach up to 1Gb, just installed now, the SS runs like normal video.

;D My VST system is runing much better than before, including the digital weather/radio system too.

now just going to buy 2 more monitors, than I have 2 monitors for the vts and one for the normal works plus SS. ;D

Cheers,
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

paulo_

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 00:46:43 »

hello i need some help... I would love to play with ss08 but I don´t know if my lap top has all the features

is a amd turion 64 X2 mobile TL58 and nVidia Ge Force Go 6150 anyone please could help me?? as you can see I'm not an expert ...

TerryRussell

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 00:55:03 »

hello i need some help... I would love to play with ss08 but I don´t know if my lap top has all the features

is a amd turion 64 X2 mobile TL58 and nVidia Ge Force Go 6150 anyone please could help me?? as you can see I'm not an expert ...

Good evening Paulo.

Welcome to the forum.

I've looked up the specifications for your laptop and at first sight, your processor speed looks to be too low (1.9GHz). However, it's not unusual for specifications to be upgraded during the lifetime of a laptop, so it might be OK. Let's find out...

What we need you to do is to post your DXdiag results here. I'll take a look and see if there is any reason why not.

Your dxdiag can be obtained by following these instructions:

Click Start > Run. type in dxdiag and press Enter.  You may see a popup asking about WHQL drivers, click Yes/Ok to proceed.

In the window that appears, click the button that says Save All Information, when the Save Dialog box appears, save the file to your desktop.  To upload the file here, click Additional Options underneath the reply area and choose Browse near Attach.  Browse to your desktop, click the file and click Open.

*  Windows Vista users need to press the Windows Key + R to access the Run prompt.

You can then post your reply with the file attached.

I'm about to log off for this evening (almost midnight here now!), but will take a look tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:00:32 by TerryRussell »

paulo_

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 01:05:17 »

hello again I hope this will do it

I'm very grate four your help

TerryRussell

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:31 »

Hi Paulo.

Sorry, but your laptop won't be able to handle Ship Simulator 2008.

The processor speed is too slow (1.9GHz)
The video card doesn't have enough memory (only 57Mb, needs 128 at least).

With Laptops there's no way to upgrade these things.

Sorry.  :'(

paulo_

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 01:22:16 »

ok but how about ss06 is it possible?

best regards and thanks

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:13 »

isn't it 2 processors?? 1.9 X2 = 3.8 given it ends up being closer to 3 due to loss between the 2.  Or am I just way off on that?  I also thought that 2 GPU's added together to be better than 1 of the same speed.  Was wrong on that one too  ::)

mvsmith

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 06:14:42 »

It depends entirely upon how well Ship Simulator is able to divide the work among the processors. Earlier versions could use only one.
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 09:29:39 »

Hi Paulo.

No, SS06 requires a 2GHz processor. It doesn't see the second processor, so 1.9GHz is still too low. Sorry.

However, as you can get copies of SS06 very cheaply, it's probably worth getting hold of one. It is possible that it might run if you turn the details settings down.

Hi Cobrattack.

Even with twin processors, both must be aminimum of 2GHz for current version of SS08. Although it may sound as though 1.9 is almost there, it isn't. It will not be able to keep up with the volume of calculations required and that will cause internal stack overflows as the queue of instructions piles up.

In any case, memory is less than 2Gb. The video card has only 57Mb of memory. It accesses a further portion by taking from the already too-low system RAM. So, memory is not adequatet and video memory is also too low.

All in all, there isn't much chance that this laptop will cope with the task. It might run, but it will be slow and jerky. Most likely it will crash or lock up quite often. I would expect the fabled blue and/or black screens to be seen quite often.

Sorry.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:43:26 by TerryRussell »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines