Hello Guest April 23, 2024, 19:15:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Celestial Navigation, and cockpits  (Read 2475 times)

SteveLee

• Forum member
Celestial Navigation, and cockpits
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:24:04 »

I was thinking how cool it would be to do celestial navigation with shipsim.  It probably wouldnt be that difficult to program, although I wouldnt know.  I hope the navigation and planning is better in the new version.
secondly, I hope the cockpits or wheelhouses are laid out.  Has anyone noticed in 2006 there is no operable compass at the controls of the ship other than the small window on the side.  This must be changed.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
Re: Celestial Navigation, and cockpits
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:41:43 »

Erm....what is Celestial Navigation???

For the rest, use the search, please, this has been discussed on this forums. Improvements need time. ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:02:23 »

Erm....what is Celestial Navigation???

Celestial navigation is using the sun and stars to find one's position.  Useful, of course, mainly out of sight of land.  8)

I'd think it would be quite hard to implement and (like many other things that have been suggested) would detract from the main focus, which is -- and should be -- ship handling.

Chers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 15:18:06 »

Thx for explaining this to me, Michael! I know that kind of navigation from school, but didn't know, this was the English translation for it.

And yes, i do think it would be very hard to put this in ShipSim.
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 15:26:15 »

I'd think it would be quite hard to implement and (like many other things that have been suggested) would detract from the main focus, which is -- and should be -- ship handling.

I agree with that, the handling is the most important feature in my opinion :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

captron

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 06:27:56 »

Re: Celestial Navigation in the sim, there is a sim  called X-Plane by Laminar Research that not only has global scenery (accurate to within a few meters) it also contains the full night sky. Star positions are accurate and displayed. However, celestial navigation is not possible, though had been requested for trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic flights based upon vintage aircraft instruments and the use of a aeronautical sextant.

The positions of the celestial bodies pose no problem, it is all the other factors required that make it currently out of reach for a sim. 

Regards,

Captron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines