Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 01:41:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship controls/ features to add?  (Read 3392 times)

speedline

• Forum member
Ship controls/ features to add?
« on: June 25, 2007, 15:31:50 »

I was comparing SS2K6 with FSX (Flight Simulator Ten) trying to figure out why I play simulators. For me sims are about control. Even if it's as minor as putting on the no smoking sign with a switch and hearing the characteristic sound.

I came up with the following list:

engine controls:
-being able to start and switch of engines independantly (auxiliary engine for bow thruster!)
-realistic start up sequence perhaps with some form of communication with your grease-monkey down below to check fluid levels for example
- engine failure or loss of power?
- fuel consumption?
- engine fires (control of fire supression systems)
- engine temperature/ overheating in hot weather under full load?

I do not need to see flames but appropriate sounds like alarms and some smoke? ;D

light controls:
- on/ off switch?
- search light for drowning people in rough seas?

radar/ GPS
- failures/ ghosting?
- loss of GPS signal under bridges/ certain areas of the world

human performance
- loss of conscience with A/C (airconditioning) failure
- A/C of even HVAC controls (critical in cold or hot and humid conditions)
A nice question is how to implement this properly?

cabin
- windshield wipers or perhaps those round little windows with rotating wipers
- heated windows (ice building in cold?)

deck
- ice building in cold conditions

propulsion
- bent screws or rudder due to collision/ running aground?

ballast
- control of ballast pumps

extra vessel?
- being able to lower dinghy/ tender and do some minor stuff like pick stuff and/ or people up?

Perhaps even like the extra ship the Adolf Bermpohl carries! (On the back!)

(I was in love with this vessel the moment I layed my 10 year old eyes on a working RC model!!!)

And perhaps some pirate ships with machine guns attacking you in the Malakka straits!!! ;D

So we can deter them with our special fire supressing system (a.k.a. 'the sprinkler') ;)

I am eager to see other members thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 15:46:17 by speedline »
If you pay peanuts you get monkeys...

ajrimmer42

• Forum member
Re: Ship controls/ features to add?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 17:54:28 »

That would be awesome! I've often thought when I'm playing SS06 how cool it would be to have lights. Also thought of another cool feature: usable anchors. Animated people on the decks would be good too, like on Silent Hunter III & IV.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 20:16:56 »

Funny -- for me the point is being able to drive ships that move realistically.  All the rest of the stuff cited is secondary, even tertiary, and eats CPU cycles better devoted to realistic movement simulation!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

BlackBat

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 13:48:35 »

Funny -- for me the point is being able to drive ships that move realistically.  All the rest of the stuff cited is secondary, even tertiary, and eats CPU cycles better devoted to realistic movement simulation!

Cheers,
Michael

I agree with Michael. If you are so much interested in the seamen business - go aboard  ;D ;D

No, really .. that would be to intensive. If you compare SS'06 with the FSX it's like the tiny plant coming out of the earth in spring and the scotch in front your fire place in winter. Furthermore this theme has been long discussed in the old board (in the german board for sure, but I'm not sure about the english one).
There is a long way to walk until the SS will reach the stage of the FSX. Obviously in my opinion it has a vast potential but there are other more important ingrediants to implement, like for example more realistic KI, hydrographics and instruments like a reliable working radar/ecdis.

I suppose that we have to look forward to the SS'08 and the opportunities it will carry with, e.g. your suggested anchors.

mfg blackbat

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 19:06:02 »

What myths me is why we are STILL comparing FS withSS. For love nor money would the ships become planes. I have FS 2000. Maybe it's going back a bit, but even that loses its fun after a while due to lack of scnery and journey enhancment. They fly. Boats float.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

PainDealer

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 17:50:02 »

I'm most interested in navigation like route planning and such including calculations (variation, wind, etc). Some kind of implementation of "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea".

BlackBat

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 18:03:07 »

I'm most interested in navigation like route planning and such including calculations (variation, wind, etc). Some kind of implementation of "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea".

Yes, that would be very interesting to set up own waypoints, but i think calculations incl. variations, wind etc. are to much at the actual stage of the SS'08 because we aren't able to travel from port to port across the sea/ocean and so such calculations aren't necessary - in my opinion.

But the COLREG's shall be already integrated in the SS'06 (well, I never saw the computer acting in order to them ;D) and in the new SS'08 they shall be improved. We'll see ..

mfg blackbat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines