Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 17:08:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceberg, Right Ahead.  (Read 15508 times)

kev600

• Forum member
Iceberg, Right Ahead.
« on: June 16, 2007, 19:00:01 »

is there any chance that you can repeat certain times on the titanic voyage like april the 14th. try to avoid the iceberg and continue with the voyage. that would be good!!! also is there gonna be icebergs to do this?
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Remember The Elite Officers that perished on that night:

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Tingle Wilde
First Officer William McMaster Murdoch
Sixth Officer James Paul Moody
Chief Engineer Jo

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Iceberg, Right Ahead.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 19:27:29 »

Well, there should be some work on it....
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 19:58:45 »

I think it's respectless.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 21:28:48 »

Why respectless? <sic>

If it is done 'for a 'larf' then maybe you have a point. If it is done for academic interest then what's the problem?

I do think that- with respect to VStep that since the ship is long gone that making the dynamics sufficiently realistic to replicate the parameters that would have saved the ship is impossible.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 21:43:27 »

I don't know why I think it's respectless... It's just... Many people died on the Titanic, it wouldn't be so nice to make the whole scene* again, would it?

* wrong word for it, right? >_>
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 21:49:44 by Nub Cake »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 22:14:32 »

But couldn't you say the same thing about that afwul dull Cameron film? Should a film have been made about dying?

(Personally I think they shouldn't have made that film but not for 'taste' reasons, just it is dull as can be. (don't tell Mr DJM- He'll bar me!))

I'm not telling you are wrong, just not sure if I agree, but I understand your concerns.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 22:29:00 »

That's what I mean, I don't know why I think it's respectless... I like the movie alot xP.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 22:52:32 »

(Personally I think they shouldn't have made that film but not for 'taste' reasons, just it is dull as can be. (don't tell Mr DJM- He'll bar me!))

ROFL, maybe I should have kept quiet about the fact that I LOVE Titanic (Movie and Ship)     ..................nah, I'm quite proud of the fact actually (on both counts) ;D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Harry G

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 23:21:48 »

Wouldn't it also slightly damage the reputation of Ship Sim too? Still, it'd be interesting to see if it'd avoid the iceburg if the port engine was set to full astern, etc.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 00:29:28 »

Hah. I personally See no problem in doing such a thing. Recreating the conditions on April 14th, 1912, 11:40pm.
Even though it's evil sounding, I just love the second half of Titanic, when it sinks. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. AFter all, it happened 95 years ago, or however long ago it happened. One might say it's "all in the past".
But, anyway, I think that even just having icebergs in the game is good enough, to create one of the many great threats to ships out there on the ocean, and add to realism. And if someone wants to ram titanic into one of those icebergs, well that's fine with me.
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 07:53:46 »

it happened 95 years ago, or however long ago it happened.

Yeah... She's almost for 100 years under water =l...
She won't be there forever, right?
Will she be gone in... ~ 2025 ? - Just asking...

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:45 »

Yeah... She's almost for 100 years under water =l...
She won't be there forever, right?
Will she be gone in... ~ 2025 ? - Just asking...

Apparently, the amount of rust and decay on the ship structure may mean that she will be gone much sooner than that.....maybe before 2010 :(

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 09:02:51 »

Are you serious? That's 3 years... And there's still pretty much left, isn't it?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 09:51:05 »

Are you serious? That's 3 years... And there's still pretty much left, isn't it?

The strusture is decaying rapidly according to the experts.  They have 'expeditions' to the site for people to view what's left.  So I hear, it costs in excess of £10,000 to go on one of these expeditions, primarily because she has little time left before she disintegrates.

A real shame that such a great ship is almost gone forever :(

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:32 »

What about the Britannic? She's in a perfect state, isn't she?
( I have coordinates of her wreck on Google Earth, http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,465.0.html )

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 10:01:16 »

What about the Britannic? She's in a perfect state, isn't she?
( I have coordinates of her wreck on Google Earth, http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,465.0.html )

Not sure about Britannic, I've only really been interested in Titanic (of the 3 in that class anyway) ;)

All I know about Britannic is that she sank because of errors made after Titanic foundered.  They tried to correct the E-Deck watertight doors issue, but made the problem worse (some kind of skin was fitted).  Britannic capsized and more people died because of this, so I hear :(

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 10:03:17 »

Britannic sank in 1916 because she hit a mine. She sank in 55 minutes, very close to the coast of Kea, a Greek island. Of the 1,200 (guessed) people only 30 died. They died because some of the lifeboats got sucked up in the still turning screws, chopping the people and the lifeboats up.. Sigh.. So sad.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 10:04:26 »

Britannic sank in 1916 because she hit a mine. She sank in 55 minutes, very close to the coast of Kea, a Greek island. Of the 1,200 (guessed) people only 30 died. They died because some of the lifeboats got sucked up in the still turning screws, chopping the people and the lifeboats up.. Sigh.. So sad.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Olympic then......better recheck my facts lol

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 10:08:01 »

Err, Olympic did not sink, she got scrapped  ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:04 »

Err, Olympic did not sink, she got scrapped  ;)

Hmmm......

Can anyone tell that I don't really know a great deal about shipping?  :P

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 10:13:41 »

:D

This is going a bit offtopic... Isn't it?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 10:14:19 »

:D

This is going a bit offtopic... Isn't it?

Indeed. I was just gonna mention that too ;)

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 10:59:43 »

Haha!
Well, I know it goes against the way some things work in forums, but it's always interesting to see exactly how far off topic a thread can go. Hmm... it's going further off topic as I speak...
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 11:04:30 »

I don't think that is correct. There was an 'alternative theory' in a film about Britannic, where it was sunk by a coal dust explosion started by a German spy. The spy saved a nurse and ended up going through the  propellors (still going??? Where was the steam coming from?) This film was good entertainment, but fiction.

In actual fact some of the crew tried lowering the boats whilst in motion, and this meant they broke up on the surface of the moving water but when the main evacuation started the ship had stopped. Capt realised he couldn't make land, so ordered dead stop and evacuation.

There was a film which showed the props still turning as she went right under. Load of rubbish. (a bit like the 2006 Poseidon film)

Stu

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 13:37:08 »

The spy saved a nurse and ended up going through the  propellors (still going??? Where was the steam coming from?) This film was good entertainment, but fiction.
<snip>

Unless the boilers were destroyed in some way the engines could still be running.  There is plenty of steam in a water-tube boiler and plenty of heat in the boiler mountings for some time after the fires are out.

Just a niggling reality check.  ;D

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines