Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 01:55:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Sim 2008 Joystick?  (Read 17906 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Ship Sim 2008 Joystick?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 00:19:19 »

Your remarks are well heard Terry, but I had a hunch the answer was much simpler than many thought..
(and for once, I was right.. :D
Actually,  "drifting" controls was a thing that plagued my old joystick, but sadly, switching precision steering off didn't change matters, buying a better joystick did.. ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:55:55 by saltydog »

TerryRussell

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 00:25:41 »

That's the problem with going off and trying to recreate a tricky problem. Sometmes things get fixed in the meanwhile and then that fact gets snowed under all of the other to-ing and fro-ing.  ::)

Still perhaps that bit of research and your answers will help whoever asks the question next time.

Kaj1

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:27 »

Best thing to use is one of there:

;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 09:23:51 »

Hmm... did I mention it was my birthday soon?   ;D

carl

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 09:50:50 »

Best thing to use is one of there:

;D
is there a company that sell those boxes? with the trottle and everything on?

Thank you TJK for this sig! ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:52 »

Same here Fred ;D

We can hope eh ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 15:41:16 »

Nice monitor too, that's allmost bigger than my tv....!   :D

TerryRussell

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 20:17:00 »

Best thing to use is one of these:

Actually, I think these are preferable (but not in today's weather):

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 20:52:06 »

This is also on the market, but it seems a bit "plastic" for my taste.. ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 20:56:20 by saltydog »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 20:55:19 »

I think you forgot something..   ::)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 20:58:17 »

Kept getting the message I exceeded the 512 Mb .. ;)

If anyone's interested, here's the site..

http://www.raildriver.com/products/shipdriver.php

anniesboy68

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 21:27:26 »

Just thought I would let you all know I've updated to 1.3 via the download. Are there any more vessels to download, I see mentioned Ocean Star somewhere, I don't have that un.

TerryRussell

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 21:31:33 »

Hi.

Ocean Star (and 5 other vessels) are only available via the Add-on Pack, The two new vessels in V1.3 are the excellent Hovercraft and Jetski.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 21:33:12 »

Hi anniesboy68,

Well the Ocean Star is part of the Addon-pack (together with 5 more other vessels). This was originally an addon for SS2006 but is now being converted for SS2008.

The people who own the SS2006 Addon-pack, get this new updated version for free. And those people have been given a chance to allready download part of the Addon, namely the vessels themselves. So part of the community allready has these ships, and others do not.

Soon, the whole SS2008 pack will be completed and it'll then be available for purchase for everyone.

You can read the official announcement here :
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3052.0.html

Regards,
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 21:44:16 »

This is also on the market, but it seems a bit "plastic" for my taste.. ;)

When I saw that, I thought "looks a lot like the Trainsim Raildriver unit". Then I saw the link! If it is similar, it's made of metal! I have the Raildriver Train one (birthday pressie from my wife) and it's good. Very heavy duty and not at all plastic.

As my birthday REALLY is coming up soon, I will start dropping hints in a wife facing direction, I think.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 21:51:16 »

looks can deceive eh... ;)
if it is metal, I want one too... :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 21:54:38 by saltydog »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 22:16:12 »

Yeah I would have thought it was plastic too, it looks a bit shoddy on those pictures, but that could just be a mockup for all we know.

I think the raildriver unit looks a bit better though. It says the unit is 34 cm's wide.. isn't that rather small? I would think the shipdriver unit will have the same basic shape and thus will be 34 cm's wide too. But then I would think the wheel would be tiny and not really anything to really grab on to..

I had thoughts about buying one, but maybe cannabalising my old steering wheel and hotas would be better. At least it'll be something to hang on to on those rough seas.. heh..  ;D

Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 22:21:46 »

The main thing is the quality of the controls.
They also say on the site that this product is still in development, and to be expected somewhere in 2008.
I'll be checking  now and then.. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 21:50:45 by saltydog »

TerryRussell

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 22:54:36 »

If it ends up being the same quality as the train Sim unit, it will be excellent. Fingers crossed.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 23:24:13 »

So, with you having experience with the traindriver, is the size good enough to get a grip on things, so to say?

As I said, 34 cm's  (13,5 inches I think it is)  is not that wide. And the steering wheel on that things is not too big. Do you think it will be a bit tiny in ones (relatively large) hands?  :)

So like, do you think that 'wheel' would actually just be a knob, really?

Cheers,
Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 00:23:27 »

I can't see that the wheel is going to be much bigger than 3 or 4 inches in diameter, maximum, if that unit is the same size as the "Cab Controller" (Trainsim version).

That said, if it the unit is built to the same standards as the Cab Controller, the box is metal and the controls are very sturdy.

But, a point to bear in mind: the Cab Controller that I have was bought in the ASA by my wife (She is American and travels back and forth to see friends and family). I don't know if the European version is identical or not. The weight of the version that I have must add a bit to shipping costs.

I have always found the folks who make the controller to be very approachable. The developers have always responded to any questions I had. They have given me technical advice when I was trying to develop an improved interface and have helped resolve some technical issues with graphics cards and so on, by return email.

The Raildriver folk are a fine example to many other sets of developers who hide away in darkened basements and refuse to speak to the Customers and who may come out at night to suck blood.

Kaj1

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 11:18:00 »

Can't remember about that. Don't think VSTEP would like to miss it, it's the demo box ;)

is there a company that sell those boxes? with the trottle and everything on?
Sorry, custommade by moi. ;) There's a topic about how to create your own though.

Nice monitor too, that's allmost bigger than my tv....!   :D
Too bad it's not mine... However, I should update that picture... That tv is small compared to what we have standing here now... :P

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 21:45:52 »

Can't remember about that. Don't think VSTEP would like to miss it, it's the demo box ;)

Well, if the next one isn't exactly done on my birthday yet, I would be willing to wait a bit longer.  ;) ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 22:28:01 »

But I did mention it's my birthday soon. My wife has promised to go and collect one for me, even if she has to get very friendly with one of their developers. I said she could marry one of them if need be. I think that's a good swap.  ;D

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 18:06:11 »

I found a simple and cheap solution some months ago. My 'main' stick for flightsims is the excellent Saitek Cyborg EVO (bolted down as a sidestick and modded  by me with extension leads to a seperate throttle and a proper homemade rudder bar). Like most stick units it ain't really suitable for shipsim.

I then bought a 'game controller' style handset, mainly to use on R/C flight sims, until I discovered it is a good controller for Shipsim. Since it has a little stick for each thumb, a POV thing, and many other buttons it is easy to set up for everything (except maybe the Red Eagle). A proper USB R/C 'Transmitter' would also work i think. The sticks give easy Port/Starboard Rudder and Throttles.

What works for me is to use the mouse and onscreen controls most of the time, then I pick up the handset for docking etc. The best example of this is the mission to sail the 'Pride' up river to its berth (with the mouse), pick up the handset, then easily use differential steering/thrust and bowthrust to slow it and swing it parallell while slewing slowly and majestically into a perfect landin -er I mean docking.

If you have one, set it up and try it - if not you can get them for very little these days. Hope this helps.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines