Hello Guest March 19, 2024, 11:21:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Our beloved vessels on Google Earth  (Read 47614 times)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Our beloved vessels on Google Earth
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 18:26:30 »

Thanks, Donny

It's not quite similar to the P6 then, but close..  :)

Fred

nbc

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 18:10:55 »

Just to let you guys know, you can tell the Pride Of Rotterdam and Pride Of Hull apart because the Pride of Hull has a blue roof, where the Pride Of Rotterdam has a Green roof.

Also, the pride of rotterdam has moved on in Google Earth since Fred took those images, it can now be seen docked in Hull. Unfortunately the port of rotterdam is too big to find the Pride Of Hull.

TJK

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 18:20:49 »

more of that Fred wherry impressing and lot of work i can think
nice shots
TJK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:26 »

Thanks..

not a lot of work really.. I was just looking around the game environments and spotted some of them. The rest were easy, just scrolled along the port to find some more. Not all are 100% spot on, but some just cant be found anyway.  ;)

I'll try to find some more, but I guess I'll have to update GE as my PoR is still in Rotterdam and not in Hull, as nbc said.  I usually get a notice from GE when there's a new version, but maybe they changed this feature, I don't know.

Regards,
Fred

NathanC

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 12:41:57 »

I found this one, not sure which of the Red Funnel ferries it is, maybe a sister ship to the Red Eagle

Just up the river, at the entrance to Southampton you can spot another Red Eagle sister, maybe even the Red Eagle itself:

Then, even further up the river to Southampton, you can see a third Red Funnel ferry.

Then, strangely there is a fourth one. The only possible explanation is that the images were taken at different times then joined together.

However, i can't find the Red Jet 4 on Google Earth. Maybe these images were taken before the Red Jets launch in 2002/3?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:55:34 by NathanC »

carl

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 22:04:49 »

Then, strangely there is a fourth one. The only possible explanation is that the images were taken at different times then joined together.

I think you are right, because there is variation of the quality of the pictures.

Thank you TJK for this sig! ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 02:03:55 »

Yes the images were indeed taken at different times.

The one docked in Southampton is the Red Eagle, the others are Red Osprey and Red Falcon (of which one is on the picture twice.)

Fred

NathanC

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 07:22:37 »

How can you tell?

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 08:32:00 »

Yes the images were indeed taken at different times.

The one docked in Southampton is the Red Eagle, the others are Red Osprey and Red Falcon (of which one is on the picture twice.)

Fred

How can you tell?

Go on Fred, please tell.....

I know the Names on the hull and superstructure are a giveaway but what else?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 14:18:41 »

Well I think the Red Eagle was the first to get a double deck layout. And you can see that the upper deck has the exit ramp on one side.

The others clearly have only the lower deck with the entry/exit in the middle..So they must not have been converted yet when those pictures were taken. Well that's what I think but someone will surely correct me if I am wrong. It might aswell be the other way around too and that one of the sailing ones is the Red Eagle.

Fred
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 14:21:18 by Mad_Fred »

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 15:51:06 »

Well I think the Red Eagle was the first to get a double deck layout. And you can see that the upper deck has the exit ramp on one side.

The others clearly have only the lower deck with the entry/exit in the middle..So they must not have been converted yet when those pictures were taken. Well that's what I think but someone will surely correct me if I am wrong. It might aswell be the other way around too and that one of the sailing ones is the Red Eagle.

Fred

Sorry Fred but you are wrong.

Red Osprey was the first to be modified to have the upper car deck, then it was Red Falcon and lastly Red Eagle.

Red Falcon and Red Osprey are almost identical but Red Falcon has additional radar emitters at the base of the masts.  As Red Falcon was the first of them, they were thought to be necessary and it was found that they were not required so Red Osprey and Red Eagle did not have them.  I have never seen them in operation.

You can tell Red Eagle apart from the other two as the Bridge superstructure is higher off of the deck, which in my opinion makes her look the best of the three, the others look like someone has pressed down and squashed the bridge towards the main superstructure.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 15:56:12 »

;D

Well If you knew, why'd you go and ask me?  heh heh... :P 

I looked it up here after I wrote that but didnt get round to correct myself yet.  :)

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Regards,
Fred

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 16:02:56 »

I was just curious what you answer would be   ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 16:11:21 »

Yes I realised....   :D

* Exit Mad_Fred to wash the egg off his face *  ;D

Fred

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 20:56:19 »

A while ago on my old PC I had Google Earth also, with alot cruise ships and more on it in my favorites.
Nearly all Royal Caribbean ships, location of Titanic's wreck, SS America wreck (anyone knows this? It's pretty special in my opinion), Queen Mary 2, and lots more :D. But I said old PC, so it's still on it's harddisk, not on this one!

Chantal

NathanC

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 07:01:45 »

Yes, unfortunately the SS America broke up and drifted off, then it actually sunk. Shame, looked like a nice ship

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 00:58:19 »

Yes, unfortunately the SS America broke up and drifted off, then it actually sunk. Shame, looked like a nice ship

Did it totally sink by now? Aww, that sucks. As far as I knew only 2 small parts of the hull were still above the surface.

Edit: Found a picture on Google Earth which is taken in November, 2007.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:04:23 by Nub Cake »

NathanC

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 09:05:58 »

I thought it had sunk, but it appears i'm wrong. I heard of the SS America in my google earth book "Not in the guide book" which shows mazing sights in Google earth, including SS America. I'm suprised someone hasn't tried to rescue her, but i do know a lot of her interior fittings have been taken and have been used in hotels, bars etc. on the island next to where she is.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2008, 11:17:35 »

I thought it had sunk, but it appears i'm wrong. I heard of the SS America in my google earth book "Not in the guide book" which shows mazing sights in Google earth, including SS America. I'm suprised someone hasn't tried to rescue her, but i do know a lot of her interior fittings have been taken and have been used in hotels, bars etc. on the island next to where she is.

I actually would have liked to come and see it, but I knew about her since mid 2007. Almost nothing was left :P. I been to Gran Canaria anyway, another Canary Island :). I have read a website of someone who went to the wreck like every half year, and told what changed etc. Was really interesting to read, although reading it took very long :P. I even saw some photos, where the sea was so bright, that you could see the stern under water. Did you know a few people died trying to get onto the SS America?

NathanC

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2008, 12:04:04 »

That doesn't suprise me,trying to get interior fittings from the part of the ship which is underwater,it isn't easy  ;D ::)

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 12:32:38 »

That doesn't suprise me,trying to get interior fittings from the part of the ship which is underwater,it isn't easy  ;D ::)
Hey, it's there since 1994, and never been underwater since mid 2007.
Just look at this photo...

Oh, and they didn't try to save her because she broke in two shortly after she ran on the sand.

Edit: check out this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDuMCBC3lQ
Photos of the stern included.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:35:44 by Nub Cake »

Jappuh

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2008, 16:50:17 »

The picture of  a sistership of the Arie Visser isn't an Arie Visser class, it's a Johannes Frederik class ship (www.knrm.nl) This is a picture of the Koopmansdank ("Thanks of a Merchant" in English) from station Noordland.

The real Arie Visser!

Picture taken by: Sebastiaan v/d Weide, www.scannernet.net

Greets from a dutch lifeboat crewmember!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 16:56:33 by Jappuh »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 17:58:24 »

I thought the one I posted was the Arie Visser class lifeboat 'Jeanine Parqui' from Hoek van Holland.  (that shot is near there, but it could be that you are right and that's not an Arie Visser sister)

Cheers!

Fred

NathanC

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 18:38:51 »

haha! I have found the Pride of Hull! It turns out that only a small section of the roof is in blue (The roof is made of a some kind of astroturf like material), as seen in the picture. You can find it docked in the Port of Hull.

Jappuh

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 18:59:57 »

I thought the one I posted was the Arie Visser class lifeboat 'Jeanine Parqui' from Hoek van Holland.  (that shot is near there, but it could be that you are right and that's not an Arie Visser sister)

Cheers!

Fred

I'm pretty sure this is the Prinses Margriet (Stellendam) http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/996/dscn4204kopiehy4.jpg She doesnt have a tube on het "backside". The Jeanine Parqui is docked in the Berghaven.

*edit, I've had a look at your coordinates and thats the shipyard where some of the KNRM ships get maintained. (Maasluis)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 19:43:07 by Jappuh »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines