Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 23:11:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WILL WE SEE PEOPLE ON THE SHIP? (SHIP SIMULATOR 2008)  (Read 4996 times)

mcivcik

• Forum member

i am writing from istanbul,i would like to criticize ship simulator game,first of all i didnt see people one the ship  2006 ,why dont ship producers make this detail? for example,when i use titanic ,i want to see people who are walking on the ship,especially ship crews,this is very important also this can be very real,i think this detail is very necessary,
thanks
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:59:20 by mcivcik »

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: WILL WE SEE PEOPLE ON THE SHIP? (SHIP SIMULATOR 2008)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:58:47 »

Hi there. First some ships do have static people. (you) Zoom out and you'll see. Secondly, Moving people will boost up the graphics a huge amount. But: people are planned for the next version i think.

Also remember this is only the first version!
Hope this helps!

Shipaddict
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:20:57 by Shipaddict »

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 15:45:18 »

nice idea, but personally, I dont' believe it would be worth hikin' up the graphics specs for people- afterall, so long as the ships there and has detail, what else really matters? Virtual sailor has the a few people, for example, the bloke on the Adriatic's bridge, neverthless, fraps reports that my frame rate plummets to about 18 when he comes into view.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 15:47:14 by Britannic »
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 23:48:02 »

i would love to see people dressed in the periods cloth on the titanic, but i think they should go when you are walking around the ship, all that detail would be too much but when you are not in the walk about mode you should be able to see officers walking around the bridge. every ship could have different looking officers.

James89uk

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 12:35:45 »

Great ideas but unfortunately you have to remember that the average home computer is not powerful enough to recreate fine details such as this.  You may ask "how do they do it in other games/simulations then?".  Simple: every game/simulation works on a different programming engine (and physics engine) which are programmed according to what you are trying to reproduce.  The SS engine will have to draw an animated sea, other vessels etc which is very heavy on polygons.  Think about how much "work" the computer is having to do to produce all those waves and to produce movement onboard.

In a few years time it might well be possible to have several officers on the bridge, ship interiors, passengers etc - but we'll have to wait until the average home computer can cope with that.  However all of this will take huge amounts of time to design (e.g. producing ship interiors) and so 3D modelling methods are likely to have to change in years to come, which could see computers for example doing a lot of the modelling work for you - we will have to see!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 13:11:47 »

I think this is already possible. It has already been added into Virtual Sailor. This is of course very low-poly characters that have a repeating animation going over several frames. It’s true that it has an impact on the frame rate. If the animation is made very simple I think it already can be added into Ship Simulator too.
The Quest 3D software can handle animations and where you can make a character follow a track in a landscape. The animated traffic ships in Ship Simulator does probably follow a track to simulate the traffic. So this means that people can follow programmed tracks for example on the deck of a ship etc.
Maybe you even can have a graphic option where you can set how many people are going to show up etc, how they are animated and much more. I know from the Flight Simulator that you can adjust the amount of AI traffic around airports or in the sky. It would be handy to adjust the amount of traffic for example in a harbour or even particular missions. :)

I look forward to this if it will be integrated in SS2009/2010 for example, as simple animated characters onboard the ship simulating passengers and crew, enjoying the ride at the sea. ;)

strassenkreuzer

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 13:15:17 »

For me its first a simulator, not a game. SS06 and later also SS08 wants to show you how to ride a boat. And I don´t want to see fat old tourists on the Ocean Star.  :D  I think with the CPU reserve you can make better things, a stabilizer for Ocean Star and the Superyacht, or what about the waves who produces the ship? I think its better to make the ship physics more realistic first before you make some fun like onboard poeple.
Wer andern eine Bratwurst brät, hat ein Bratwurstbratgerät.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 14:32:06 »

I agree but it could be simulating life on a cruise ship!

Freestyleforce

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 16:27:33 »

Yeah you're right I missed the people too... I hope there will be some in SS 2008
Currently active on: Battlefield 2142... But I can't wait for SS 2008! :D

serkan

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 21:56:18 »

Nice ideas, i agree to all comments, i think we must have good computer for that, but likewise can be active peoples, cars and other things on the port.

chrism

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 21:35:01 »

I think that people arent getting the idea of Ship "SIMULATOR". Lets get the physics and detailed ships rather than making it a game.
Flight Simulator doesnt have people walking around everywhere. For one reason, its a "flight" simulator not the "average day of air traffic". Same thing with Ship Simulator, lets get the ship part of is finished first

Ship Sim

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 22:16:13 »

If a ship flips over. The people on deck should come off and if it is bad enough they could get killed and that would turn shipsimulator in the rong direction. I think that the graphics would kill my computer if people were walking on deck.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 13:44:58 »

Make an option that makes the user of the game turn animated people on/off. This nonsense about average system starts to get a little “blown up” here. Let the user decide himself whenever he will have this activated or not. And if your FPS (frame rate is low) then it’s in many cases your system that got old or sparse hardware, beat that one and do something about it… if you can. There is a bunch of articles on the Internet telling how to optimize a system for game usage for example, by turning of programs running behind etc.

More options in the setting panel makes the game graphics more customized to the system so the user so can turn on/off graphical options in the game after his own choice.
Options like these can be:

-   the quality of the water (sparse, normal, high, very high)
-   number of traffic ships in the scene (low, medium high for example)
-   number of people (animated) in the scene) (--------)
-   other options

For those that have played FSX or Flight Simulator have seen all the graphical options you have where you can set the graphics from a low level up to a pretty high level.
That’s probably the best way to go if Ship Simulator is going to run on the most “common” systems.

Suggestions :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 18:37:14 »

i miss people too, but not much, like some sayd it's a simulator but people only make it more realistic, it don't have to be much on one ship, but it is not neccesary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines