Hello Guest April 16, 2024, 08:48:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which of the two do you pilot more in SS2006?

RMS Titanic
- 27 (36%)
Ocean Star
- 48 (64%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic VS Ocean Star  (Read 13127 times)

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: Titanic VS Ocean Star
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 12:55:19 »

Yes indeed, 80% the acceleration is slightly  :-[ too much, perhaps not during the first 30 seconds (the first 20 m).
After that, from 3 kts on, it would need  ;D the engines of one of the greatest Ocean liners, and that disregarding  ::) any residual resistance (somewhat like a train, on rails at slow speeds).
Such a cruise ship has a power ratio around 1kW per ton, bringing her to a speed around 40 km/h through the water, not bad at all, but not quite a speedboat.
There still remains  ??? the difficulty that she comes to a halt in 2.5 times her length without having reversed, what tends to indicate a  :o very bad hull form, or some kind of hydroflaps  ;D.
My point is that the performances of a big ship could be simulated realistically if there was a  ??? semblance of internal coherence between the data of the ship. Why not say that the power of the Ocean Star is (ie must lie) somewhere between 150MW and 200MW? 6 Azipods of 30 MW for instance, to the great pleasure of ABB and of the passengers. Starting from Southampton, you would  :D reach Ft Lauderdale in 3 1/2 days!
Incoherent dimensional data vs weight cannot be hidden, but the engine power, being  invisible (more smoke, perhaps?), can be easily made coherent with the dynamic behavior of the ship.
That is why I prefer the Titanic ( ::) until I have checked its accelerations...)!

Regards,
Luc

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 15:56:01 »

Titanic's amazingly to-the-nearest-inch intricute details do it for me, however, I havnt yet got the add-on pack so can't really judge the star.

Just outta interest, will the ships from the ss06 add-on be built into the 2008 version or will they still need to be brought seperate?
thanks, Britannic.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 16:33:38 »

The add-on 2006 will be upgradable to 2008.
There is yet a thread about this question:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,337.0.html
Regards,
Luc

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 21:21:27 »

Her design is a replica of the hull design used on

Costa Mediterreania
Carnival Pride
Carnival Spirit
AND I THINK . . . .
Costa Athenena

ya I think so
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 23:38:33 by rvm3192 »
bon voyage! :)

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 23:35:10 »

Voilà, Titanic finally revealed her secrets. She presents an obvious similarity with the Ocean Star.
2.7 times her length to get stopped, from full steam ahead to full steam reverse. (0.40NM)  :o
5 times her length to come to a halt, from full steam ahead, engines stopped.  :o
Well well well  ;D
Deuce.
Luc
PS It is about the Titanic 2006, of course.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 23:39:35 by LucAtC »

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 07:46:43 »

Yes indeed, 80% the acceleration is slightly  :-[ too much, perhaps not during the first 30 seconds (the first 20 m).
After that, from 3 kts on, it would need  the engines of one of the greatest Ocean liners, and that disregarding  ::) any residual resistance (somewhat like a train, on rails at slow speeds).
Such a cruise ship has a power ratio around 1kW per ton, bringing her to a speed around 40 km/h through the water, not bad at all, but not quite a speedboat.

That is why I think she is not exactly realistic. The acceleration curve could really use some work. I have to admit, I like the acceleration curve on the first 25% of the throttle. After that, it loses it.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

kanhf0514

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 14:31:08 »

OH! And tell us why  :D (This is for the developers so please help!)

Titanic, because sailing this ship is more challenging!!! The turn rate of ocean star is too good!

PS: Titanic's turning rate is a bit too slow, even I turn full left and only switch on the right engine, it only can turn like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84RfDQUPUvk

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 19:29:06 »

Titanic, because sailing this ship is more challenging!!! The turn rate of ocean star is too good!

PS: Titanic's turning rate is a bit too slow, even I turn full left and only switch on the right engine, it only can turn like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84RfDQUPUvk

Replicating the Titanic incident?

BTW, when you said hard to starboard you actually turned the wheel to port. You only turn the wheel left and say starboard when the vessel is in reverse motion (That is unless you follow the pre-1912 command method.)
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines