Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 17:33:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Scores  (Read 4418 times)

Wonko_The_Sane

• Forum member
High Scores
« on: May 25, 2007, 21:57:38 »

Looking through the Highscores list, I see some that cause me to er, ah - have suspicions as to their validity.  Particularly in light of the fact that some of those questionable scores were posted by "hit & run" members; members that the forum has seen neither the hide nor the hair of since they posted their "scores".  Am I calling those members liars?  No, not at all!  I just doubt their word.

My suggestion, for consideration and/or discussion, would be to remove the scores of members who have not been active in the past 90 or 180 days, which would ultimately get rid of the "one post wonders", and, hopefully, replace them with more realistic scores.

I do hope that the "Highscore" function in SS08  is a bit more tamper proof than the one in SS06 is!

Any chance of a patch for SS06? ???

captainmcd

• Forum member
Re: High Scores
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 22:29:08 »

After posting some reservations about high scores on the Missions section, I still have questions about the high scores posting. On several missions I obtained a high score for using a vessel's engines with tugs alongside.  On missions where that is not permitted, it should say so in the rules, and points should be deducted for not following the rules.  MS Flight Simulator does not score your flights.  The creators of Shipsim must have felt that a scoring system would enhance the game.  However, I wonder if time alone is a good indicator of success.  A fast time most likely indicates that chances were taken that would not be taken in real life.  Times that the creators believe to be too short are filtered out.  Some of the times I have seen are unrealistic, even with filters.   Could some other scoring system be implemented, with deductions for maneuvering contrary to rules of the road, or excessive speed, not slowing down for a pilot vessel, etc?   Extra points should be allowed for properly positioning your vessel alongside at the quay.  Today I posted a high score which appeared under the name of another forum member who had not been on the forum for over a week.   I think that there are some bugs in the system that need to be worked out.    John

Looking through the Highscores list, I see some that cause me to er, ah - have suspicions as to their validity.  Particularly in light of the fact that some of those questionable scores were posted by "hit & run" members; members that the forum has seen neither the hide nor the hair of since they posted their "scores".  Am I calling those members liars?  No, not at all!  I just doubt their word.

My suggestion, for consideration and/or discussion, would be to remove the scores of members who have not been active in the past 90 or 180 days, which would ultimately get rid of the "one post wonders", and, hopefully, replace them with more realistic scores.

I do hope that the "Highscore" function in SS08  is a bit more tamper proof than the one in SS06 is!

Any chance of a patch for SS06? ???

A collision at sea can ruin your entire day.
Thucydides, 500 BC

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 22:32:42 »

After posting some reservations about high scores on the Missions section, I still have questions about the high scores posting. On several missions I obtained a high score for using a vessel's engines with tugs alongside.  On missions where that is not permitted, it should say so in the rules, and points should be deducted for not following the rules.  MS Flight Simulator does not score your flights.  The creators of Shipsim must have felt that a scoring system would enhance the game.  However, I wonder if time alone is a good indicator of success.  A fast time most likely indicates that chances were taken that would not be taken in real life.  Times that the creators believe to be too short are filtered out.  Some of the times I have seen are unrealistic, even with filters.   Could some other scoring system be implemented, with deductions for maneuvering contrary to rules of the road, or excessive speed, not slowing down for a pilot vessel, etc?   Extra points should be allowed for properly positioning your vessel alongside at the quay.  Today I posted a high score which appeared under the name of another forum member who had not been on the forum for over a week.   I think that there are some bugs in the system that need to be worked out.    John

Maybe as Ship Sim develops, we will see the scoring system evolve to reflect these developments.  I personally don't really worry about scores, I just enjoy the game for 'what it is'......FUN :D

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 23:59:46 »

Maybe as Ship Sim develops, we will see the scoring system evolve to reflect these developments.  I personally don't really worry about scores, I just enjoy the game for 'what it is'......FUN :D

Regards.

DJM.

GAME? GAME?  >:( >:( >:( IT IS NOT A GAME. It is a simulator. Dear oh dear... Such language from a moderator ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 00:02:04 »

GAME? GAME?  >:( >:( >:( IT IS NOT A GAME. It is a simulator. Dear oh dear... Such language from a moderator ;)

Stu

LOL, and off he goes again.....are you bored my friend?  :P

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 00:21:48 »

LOL, and off he goes again.....are you bored my friend?  :P

Oh. Can you tell?  :-[ I think if you were to delete all the posts I've written when bored then I ould have a very low post count indeed.

Its VSteps fault, of course... SS06 didn't need so much memory I'd put it on my laptop and play it rather than hang around here looking for a fight. ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 00:24:01 »

Oh. Can you tell?  :-[ I think if you were to delete all the posts I've written when bored then I ould have a very low post count indeed.

Its VSteps fault, of course... SS06 didn't need so much memory I'd put it on my laptop and play it rather than hang around here looking for a fight. ;)

Stu

Ha Ha!  So now we know why you hang around :P

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 00:26:53 »

Ha Ha!  So now we know why you hang around :P

I'm told by another person here that he spends much more time on the forum than utilising the simlation. So not just me then. I really should be doing work... Or even practicing ship building on Blender.

(PS since I'm bored... I correct myself. It is actually an emulation, not a simuation.)

Stu

Wonko_The_Sane

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 19:54:31 »

I agree with the majority of your points.  Scoring strictly based on shortest time isn't realistic, and it encourages unlawful, discourteous, and even dangerous, behavior which would most likely get someones license pulled toot-sweet in the real world!

I think if SS wanted to get really fancy with it, there should be a means to calculate the optimum time a mission should take, based on actual rules of the road and harbor policies.  Scoring could then be based on being closest to the optimum time.  Similar to the scoring for rally cars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines