Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 21:58:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliving old memories of Ship Simulator 2006  (Read 15264 times)

saken

Reliving old memories of Ship Simulator 2006
« on: July 14, 2016, 21:13:16 »

So I installed and fired up my old copy (bought pretty much on June 22, 2006, 7 days after it's official release date, at least here in Sweden. 10 years... feels like only yesterday...) of Ship Simulator 2006 on my current Windows 10 operating system on my old 2010 desktop :).

Well... what's the first thing I do? I choose the mission Steer the Titanic to the anchor bay, and what happens? I collide with a small motorboat... but the question is, who's fault was it if he came in front of me? Doesn't small motorboats have the responsibility to stay out of the way of bigger vessels and avoid them at all costs?

The damage meter of course popped up... showing a whooping approximately €5000! Certainly not very "smart" by either me, or him... now who's fault it ever was... although it said €5000 at the non-player...

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Reliving old memories of Ship Simulator 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 22:46:06 »

One of the improvements which SS2008 eventually included was a system by which MOST ships would stop before hitting the player ship, unlike SS2006, where you had to do all the collision avoidance yourself as the player ship. I say "most" ships as a few of the AI only ships did not stop. :doh: ::)

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saken

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 08:00:45 »

One of the improvements which SS2008 eventually included was a system by which MOST ships would stop before hitting the player ship, unlike SS2006, where you had to do all the collision avoidance yourself as the player ship. I say "most" ships as a few of the AI only ships did not stop. :doh: ::)

Angus.
Yeah, completely true ;D

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:05:21 »

In reality other ships won't stop for your ship. It's a question of regarding the collision regulations (Colreg) to avoid collisions.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:13:08 »

We were talking about the games, not reality. Sadly, the need to observe the collision regulations has never been incorporated into the games. Player ships may well observe them, but AI ships certainly do not. :doh:
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines