Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 01:17:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access to Mission Editor without v1.4.2 Update  (Read 13915 times)

TwinWintons

• Forum member
Access to Mission Editor without v1.4.2 Update
« on: January 27, 2014, 17:14:43 »

Is there any way to get into the Mission Editor using the standard CD install of SS08 without having installed the v1.4.2 update?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Access to Mission Editor without v1.4.2 Update
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 18:25:53 »

You should have 2 (TWO) short cuts on your screen after loading the game from the disc. One is for the game itself & the other one is for the mission editor.

http://www.shipsim.com/products/shipsimulator2008
You will see here that the editor is part of the original game.

Angus.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 18:33:07 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TwinWintons

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 00:29:36 »

Thanks for the reply. I figured that I would see either the MB icon on the install or in the VSTEP SS08 folder but after hunting around and then re-installing SS08 I don't see the icon anywhere on the desktop or in the SS08 folder.

Since I purchased this CD from Amazon.com, I initially figured that maybe it was a faked copy but the product key on my copy of SS08 checks out and it came in original packaging.

I've noticed on each re-install I've done, and I've done several b/c of the TrackIR issue, that the regular SS08 install sort of freezes on the "channel.lst" section and again right at the very end when its doing something having to do with DirectX. Could either of these be an issue?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:27:29 »

Hi TwinWintons,
I confess to being as baffled as you are with this matter. If you open the main SS2008 folder you should see the Editor application there as I show in my picture below. Clicking on that will open the editor, or, should I say, it will if the file is there.
I hope this helps, otherwise I can only think you have a faulty CD, which is really unlikely I feel.

Regards,
Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TwinWintons

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 21:17:09 »

The pic you attached is exactly what my SS08 folder looks like after I download and install the v1.4.2 update, prior to doing that all I get is two shortcuts that launch SS08.

Pity about the TrackIR issue, it seems to totally derail any ability for updating or even utilizing the game properly.  :-\

Thanks for your help though!

TwinWintons

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 00:20:48 »

I've been working with SS08 tech support on this issue and it does seem that Norton Antivirus is also flagging the TrackIR.dll file and removing it from the general SS08 install.

Hopefully all the back and forth emails will get everything sorted out!

TwinWintons

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 19:36:55 »

Sorry to repost such an old thread, but in case anyone else is having this problem in the future I do want to give an update.

The TrackIR.dll file was continually removed from the v1.4.2 update by my AntiVirus software during download. In order to complete the download successfully, I had to:

1). Shut down my AntiVirus software during the download
2). Run the install program
3). Go into Norton Antivirus and exclude the TrackIR.dll file from the scan list

Once these steps were done, the update functioned correctly. However, if they were not done in order, the AntiVirus software would find and remove the file and the update would not work. The file would then have to be re-downloaded, which was not a comfortable experience given the file size and not having the AntiVirus software running.

But, in the end everything worked!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines