Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 10:59:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweol - Accident in South Korea  (Read 4103 times)

GeoP17

• Forum member
Sweol - Accident in South Korea
« on: April 16, 2014, 14:28:31 »

I was hearing the news on the radio when suddenly I turn the volume up and heard of an accident happened in South Korea. When I came home I searched for it... This ship is (was) really big and many people are missing until now...I've found some information, does anyone knows anything more? The cause of the accident is still unclear  :-\

http://www.vesselfinder.com/news/2019-UPDATE-At-least-300-missing-shows-revised-count-after-Sewol-sank-off-South-Korea

Thanks a lot stormforce!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
Re: Sweol - Accident in South Korea
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 20:39:01 »

Realy sad to hear about this - I heard its mostly school children which makes it even worse.  :(
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:00 »

Unfortunately yes... :'( they were going on a shcool trip...only a few of them have been rescued until now and all the others are still inside the ship! :-\

Thanks a lot stormforce!

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 15:30:46 »

Yeah, I was reading a news report saying that a sound like the ship hit something was heard and then it began tilting :-\ Its really sad news :(

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 17:14:31 »

That is true but nobody knows the real cause of the accident...  :-\

Thanks a lot stormforce!

JamesS1941

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 17:49:27 »

It was thought to have struck a reef.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:38 »

At http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=304027966 I read the following:

Transcript Shows Ferry Captain Delayed Evacuation

by The Associated Press
April 18, 2014 1:03 AM ET

MOKPO, South Korea (AP) — Fresh questions arose about whether quicker action by the captain of a doomed ferry could have saved lives, even as rescuers scrambled to find hundreds of passengers still missing Friday and feared dead.

Officials also offered a rare look at their investigations, saying they were looking into whether a crewman's order to abruptly turn the ship contributed to the 6,852-ton Sewol ferry tilting severely to the side and filling with water Wednesday....

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 17:40:52 »

Did Sewol capsize due to shifting cargo when she made a hard turn? You see that she floated on her superstructure for a while untill the windows smashed and seawater rushed into the vessel. I think that passenger vessels should have airbags on both sides of the superstructures. In case of capsizing the ship will float on the airbags and will not sink.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 18:00:02 by MokMok »

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 17:59:15 »

I don't know what exactly happened or what could had happened. The only thing I know is that it sank in no time at all so as there are so many deaths. Moreover the majority of the passengers are still inside the ship. It was a real tragedy!!!  :'(

Thanks a lot stormforce!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines