Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 09:57:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHIP SIM AND STEAM  (Read 2927 times)

niggle

• Forum member
SHIP SIM AND STEAM
« on: November 09, 2013, 20:07:55 »

>:( HI ALL i am one very fed up person  ??? ??? i run ship sim 2008 on my pc, and it runs very well,ihave just bought ship sim extremes and,,,,on puting the disk into the drive,click auto play ,the first thing it wants to do is connect to steam and update,,sits there for a long time because i have no internet connection,but i do use my phone to recive emails via tethering,,,is there anyway i can install the game without steam as all i want to do is play,,,,,,,, it does not even get as far as asking for the codes to install it,,i dont think the game maker have thought this out as they must loose sales due to people taking the gams back because it wont play because of no connection to steam..... please help as i am ex capt and worked for shell

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
Re: SHIP SIM AND STEAM
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 20:52:46 »

As far as I know you can only get shipsim without steam from the official shipsim website, and any other versions you buy from anywhere else is a steam version, however steam needs and internet connection to operate. :P Sorry about that.

Very interesting that you are an ex-captain, which vessel's did you serve on?  :)

tracybee

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:20:18 »

I had this problem too !!
Finally managed to get the "proper" version sent.
Here in Australia we can order either version from most Games Shops.
Just for curiousity...What are the advantages of this Steam" place?
Most difficulties seem to be "Steam" users.
Thirty Day's Hath September...
April, June and No Wonder...
All the Rest are Strawberry Jam.
Except for my Grandmother,
And she Rides a Bicycle !

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:33:10 »

hi here in the uk we have major probs with what should be a good game,,for some stupid reason the makers did a deal with steam,,its rubbish because ,,its there to entice you to buy other games,,if you got no internet it wont let you play the game you have allready paid £10..00 for and basicly steam hold the stings to it,,,no pay no play,,,,,,,it also crashes more time than you want,and on occasins it will destroy parts of the opperating system on the p/c,,,you can get a un steam coppy to down load from maker,,but as usal you only find this out after you bought the gen copy ?? my advice DONT buy anything with steam,,,,,it will only cause you trouble

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:20:45 »

I had this problem too !!
Finally managed to get the "proper" version sent.
Here in Australia we can order either version from most Games Shops.
Just for curiousity...What are the advantages of this Steam" place?
Most difficulties seem to be "Steam" users.

I purchased Railworks 2 from amazon, spent 3 hours downloading steam, only for it to wreak havoc on our computer, ending in it being wiped. Went and bought Trainz 2009 instead... :P

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:22 »

STEAM IS JUST A BIG CON.........if you had to pay for the time spent on the internet how much would it of cost ???? THATS HOW THEY MAKE MONEY dissgusting,,,,,,,,,,i when to GAME the shop and they are starting to refuse to sell games with STEAM on,  RESULT,,,lets hope they cease trading soon,,,there is a site with the damage that STEAM causes to peoples coms,,,,in the usa they can sue them for the damage......butthey never pay out,the motto of STEAM must be [ we take your money ] but give you nothing but trouble,,,,,,

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:42:39 »

I have no problems with Steam what so ever.. I can even play on the middle of the Pacific Ocean without internet connection. You just need to set it to offline mode in advance.

The best thing I like about Steam, are the Holiday sales. You can get games with discounts upto 70%! It's not worth buying games outside the sales though, because they will charge you too much in my opinion. Outside the sales you can buy legit serial keys in tons of online stores for a lot less then Steam is charging you.
It's the crew that makes the difference

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 18:23:51 »

!:) i will try to do this but where,,in steam itself ?????  ???

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:53:08 »

!:) i will try to do this but where,,in steam itself ?????  ???

When you are in Steam, go to 'Steam' in the upper left corner, and select 'go offline' in the pull down menu. Please note that this will stop steam from automaticly updating your games!
It's the crew that makes the difference

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 01:50:08 »

>:(  well here we go again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,opend steam,, fist thing i got is its trying to up date screen nothing else and its connected to the tinternet,,,,so re install ship sim 8 after deleting steam and ship sim 8 and all folders,,now steam re installed,,,,start folder message,,,,steam updating,,,and sits there for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least 3 hrs,,them crashes,,,,,tryed to right click and run as addmin,,wont even show addmin box,,its there but cant hight light it ,,,also tryed to do it via sub folder in c drive,,no admin box there also,,,,HELP BEFORE I GOT KIN NUTS AT THIS S***E SYSTEM they have put on a good game.........

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 13:08:14 »

Hi niggle,

Well, with all the many millions of people using steam every day without any problems, I hardly think the system as such can be fully blamed. We all do know that Steam can have it's hickups, that's for sure. But what you describe is a bit worse. There must be something else wrong that might be helped. Is your internet connection a good and stable one? Is your firewall or antivirus software not blocking it? Have you tried contacting Steam support themselves? They might give you some insight or even fix whatever it is that is going wrong.

Steam would never have become this big, if it had major structural problems, obviously. I've been using it for many years, I have over 150 games on there and only once did I have to contact support, and then it was a problem with the game, not Steam, as it turned out. So there's something else not quite right, that's giving you this problem. Try their own helpdesk, they aren't the quickest to respond, but they might be able to help you.

Also, if you cannot run as admin and it's greyed out, then perhaps you're not signed into windows with an account that has full administrator privileges? You might want to see if that is so, and if you can change that.

Regards,
Fred

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 14:08:34 »

hi fred,, i realy upset,,as i have contacted steam and all they do i point me to the help page so done all the things on there,,also contacted v step by email and phone in holland,,they sold the rights to steam and they say dont realy want to know as the last owner of the company sold it and put the money in his bank and now all they do is company programs, so you wont ever see any more updates or new games for ship/train sim unless another company takes it on to do it,,,steams problem when we made the game it was working fine ,but when steam added the bits they need to charge you the gamer,it conflicted with our programing we warned them about it but they said it was only going to fault with 10% of users,,to them this was a execptable thing,,,quoted by v step tec guy on fri in holland ???? he did come up with a anser,,,,,,,get some one to load stem update to disk and install the disk,,,,,can you do this as i cant,, this morning i have blated the h/d of all things,,,,,,,reintalled it every thing running ok EXEPT STEAM this all started when i put train 2008 sim on any idears more on the sub ject ????,,,p/s all i have re instlled is ship sim not train

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 15:03:48 »

Indeed they (might) have messed something up on their end.

But we can't do anything from this end I fear, and Steam will have to make that right somehow, or give you a refund or offer some kind of compensation for it, I would say.

The solution offered might work, unfortunately I do not have a Steam version of Shipsim. Maybe someone else can help you out here..  (step right up folks!)

Btw, Train Simulator basically has nothing to do with Ship Simulator as such, so I doubt that's directly related to this problem.

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 15:12:26 »

???  sorry but who runs train and many other sims STEAM so same log in and register prosess   :o

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 15:16:00 »

:D  as the man from v step said " steam wont/dont want to know,,,they even have problems getting the,,it would be easyer going on DRAGONS DEN  and asking the indian guy on there ,,nadeer i think as he owns steam

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 00:38:04 »

It's funny as soon as SSE came out I had never heard of Steam and all I heard was "Noooo stay away stay away!!" so I got the normal version.
Yet years later here I am, with more than 40 games on Steam I don't know what I'd do without it, can't say I've ever had a problem to be honest  :D  Train Simulator 2014, OMSI Bus Simulator you name it I got it lol.

Unfortunately I don't know what to say really,all the games I have I can play offline and I do quite frequently with no problem, even if my PC starts up with no internet connection and steam starts there is no real problem.
The thing is I don't know what to suggest, Steam Version or not you need to activate the serial key one way or another and they all need an internet connection.

From the Steam client you can activate a game license without actually launching it by clicking add game and then activate.
Once you have activated it then you can go offline to your hearts content!

niggle

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 01:42:09 »

??? sorry to be so long,,,,,i have activated the key via ship sim,,but the steam site wont let me,,as again it sits there saying updating,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines