Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 11:53:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many/Which languages do you speak?  (Read 1912 times)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
How many/Which languages do you speak?
« on: June 04, 2013, 21:37:33 »

In common the English language is spoken here in these forums but I was just wondering if the major population in this forum is able to speak any more languages than English or is already learning one (or more?).

My mother tongue is Dutch, I speak English as a 2nd language and I can orientate myself in German with not much trouble. At the moment I am trying to learn Russian and Swedish which I've found fascinating languages for a long time. Also because I've made friends with people who speak the language (and live in that particular country), so I thought it would maybe be easier and more fun to speak in their native language!

I guess this is where I have found my interest to maybe study linguistics.  :)

And what about you?
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
Re: How many/Which languages do you speak?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 22:52:26 »

I'm first launguage welsh by being brought up in a welsh family but I have also had to learn English. So I guess im second langue english
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

larsdehaan

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:52 »

Mother tongue is "Limburgs/Weerts"
And offcourse Dutch,  english, a bit of german, a bit of norwegian, a few words in Finnish.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 16:05:05 »

I was raised bilingual English / Irish, but stopped speaking Irish regularly when I was about 10 years old and I would now struggle to hold a conversation in Irish.

I speak fluent Spanish (I live here)

I used to speak fluent Dutch (I worked for a Dutch company, but again, I haven't used Dutch regularly for around 10 years so I have forgotten a lot of it)

My German is OK, I learnt German at school and there are quite a few Germans living here so I speak it fairly regularly.

I know a few phrases in Polish, Russian and Tagalog (Filipino)

I can count to five and say beer in Danish, Finnish, French and Italian.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 18:52:19 »

English and bad language ;D.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 23:01:37 »

Dutch, English and German fluenty and also a few words Tagalog like most sailors and Swedish  :)

Oh, and I know how to swear like a drunken sailor  :P
It's the crew that makes the difference

Wave Ðœusic

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 02:10:47 »

English, German & my own.
Though except speaking English on English lessons I talked (not typed) with a foreigner in English only once - basically that was me saying "Good day, sir!" to some German officer on watch who answered "Sorry, it's exit. The entrance to the ship is over there" while visiting some German frigate "Brandenburg" which was on a visit in my hometown back in 2000.  :doh:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines