Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 15:30:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor Control  (Read 28566 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Anchor Control
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 22:42:39 »

Nice. Thanks for showing them.

That's a hell of a diesel engine- whats the draught- I didn't realise how big the engine room would be.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 22:48:34 »

Nice. Thanks for showing them.

That's a hell of a diesel engine- whats the draught- I didn't realise how big the engine room would be.

Stu

I agree!

She is a nice ship, though. Very nice indeed! Pricey I am sure.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 22:49:14 »

Question - why the car atop the superstructure?
-Dave

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 22:57:49 »

The draught? Erm...that's how deep my ship goes, isn't it? Fully loaded (1085 tons) she goes 2,72 meter.
On the picture she lies 2,40 meter. Empty she lies 1,40 meter astern.
The height in the engine-room is aprox 2 meter above the floor-plates, but theres a shaft above the engine, that goes way up to the upper deck, so the engine has enough clearance, and a way to get out, if nescesery (i hope not!!).

AriesDW: Thanks for the compliment! :D Pricey? Not as pricey as you think, i geuss... If you give me 400.000 euro's, she yours, and you can keep the car! ;D :P
About the car on top of my "home", thats my car, and i take it everywhere. The ship is in Bremen, and i am @ home right now, thanks to that old Mondeo. :D If you look again, you will see, there's a crane next to the car and the exhaust, the so called "autokraan", in free english, the car-crane. That's specialy for taking a car on or from the ship, wherever you need it. Comfy, eh? ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 23:01:51 »

HA HA Talk about convenience. What is your loading, offloading time of the Mondeo?

Mondeos are good cars - I love the design of the new one.

Only 400K? WOW! That is very reasonable. Houses where I live in the US go for $600K. HA HA HA! I would much rather have a beauty like your vessel and cruise about with a car to go for the money. So you are not always living on the vessel, right? You have a land-based home as well? How often are you onboard and conducting business?
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 23:05:17 »

Only 400K? WOW! That is very reasonable. Houses where I live in the US go for $600K. HA HA HA! I would much rather have a beauty like your vessel and cruise about with a car to go for the money. So you are not always living on the vessel, right? You have a land-based home as well? How often are you onboard and conducting business?

Yes Dave, but the running cost if you were to use it for non commercial use would be a bit more expensive than a Mondeo...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 23:06:58 »

HA HA HA! Indeed. However, being the US is in an energy crisis, our electricity and petrol costs are enormous!
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 23:07:33 »

PLus! I am a businessman! I would find uses for her to make PLENTY of money. I might haveta hire the current owner to help me keep her busy. ;)
-Dave

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 23:15:00 »

Allthough it is off-topic, i believe the are more people interested, so i hope the mods forgive me. ;D

I can (un)load the Mondeo in aprox 5 minutes.
The Mondeo is a good car indeed, allthough it will be replaced in a while, because it's to small for my family. ;)
I'm looking for an Opel Omega Estate(omg, you don't know that in the USA, right? Erm.. Holden Monaro? Pontiac LeMans, but then as a 4 door estate? All copy's ;) ) or a Beemer 5 series Estate. ;D

400k is reasonable, but she's not the youngest one arround, offcourse. She is 47 years old now, same goes for the engine. Newer and bigger ship go for millions, and often aren't as nice to see as older ships. :'(

A home isn't cheap here in Holland as well. We rent a home in the city Groningen, but are looking to buy somewhere else.

Most of the time i'm on the ship, i go home whenever i can, moslty in the weekends. But time isn't allways helping me. I have to load in Bremen on sunday-morning 6 AM EU-time. So this is a short weekend... :(

m/s "Eemspoort"

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 23:16:34 »

HA HA HA! Indeed. However, being the US is in an energy crisis, our electricity and petrol costs are enormous!

You are taking the P**S this time Dave. We pay nearly £1.00 per litre for petrol and diesel now.

Your prices may have gone up, but nothing like ours. I spend £1000s each year on our fleet. Ouch

Stu

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 23:17:08 »

PLus! I am a businessman! I would find uses for her to make PLENTY of money. I might haveta hire the current owner to help me keep her busy. ;)

Ill go halfs with you. Always wanted to start a shipping company ;)

Stu

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2007, 23:21:04 »

LOL, i'm sorry mate, but no use for her in the USA, because of the (stupid) CoastGuard regulations for inland-shipping. Thats why most inland water transports in the USA go with barges and 1 push-boat.
I really would like to do bussines on the Mississippi or in the Great Lakes area, but then i would need 4 or more men as personal....like seaships have to....

Oh, and the running-costs are fairly high, the main-engine consumes 160 litres of diesel every hour when full steam ahead. ;D My fuel capacity: 22.000 litres... Any-one like to fill her up some time and pick up the tab?? ;D
m/s "Eemspoort"

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2007, 23:22:46 »

Any-one like to fill her up some time and pick up the tab?? ;D

LOL, pass :P

I'm going over there now to hide :P ------>
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2007, 23:24:43 »

LOL, i'm sorry mate, but no use for her in the USA, because of the (stupid) CoastGuard regulations for inland-shipping. Thats why most inland water transports in the USA go with barges and 1 push-boat.
I really would like to do bussines on the Mississippi or in the Great Lakes area, but then i would need 4 or more men as personal....like seaships have to....

Oh, and the running-costs are fairly high, the main-engine consumes 160 litres of diesel every hour when full steam ahead. ;D My fuel capacity: 22.000 litres... Any-one like to fill her up some time and pick up the tab?? ;D

Who says I would bring her here? PFFT!
-Dave

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2007, 23:26:26 »

Ahrg, to bad! It sounded like music to me, when you said, you maybe wanted to hire the previous owner! I saw myself sailing the New York harbour for real allready! Bummer... ;) ;D
m/s "Eemspoort"

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2007, 23:28:19 »

HA HA HA! But you just said we could not use her here!
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2007, 23:31:42 »

I've seen vessels smaller than yours go out into open water- Dover Calais (even seen a british canal boat- beam about 8 1/2 ft!).

I realise you are joking about new york, but joking aside how would a vessel of that size be transported internationally?

Stu

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2007, 23:40:29 »

If you deliver the people i need, i can sail her over there! ;)

Let's face it, it's just a dream that never happens, but i would sure like to make a trip to the USA on day, to observe and learn from inland-shipping over there.

Stuart: It isn't the size that matters in this case, it's the way how the ship is build, and with what purpose.
My ship is heavely build for an inland-ship, but it isn't build to go out to sea. On a good day with calm weather i surely could make it to London and steam up the Thames, no problem for the ship, but my ship isn't registered as a sea-going vessel, therefore, i would not even make it outside, because the CoastGuard would pick me up... ::)

But i think, my ship would do well in the New York area, as well as on the Mississippi, and so on.

But if you mean following, my ship could be transported on a HeavyLifter seaship or on a sea-going barge to USA or whatever place you like.
In history, there are Dutch inland-vessels exported to several country's. I only know of Afrika (don;t know the particular country) and England. Yes, England! ;D

And now i'm going to bed, and read your reply's tomorow, with a nice cup of coffee! ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2007, 07:55:54 »

A sea going transport or heavy lifter would do the job of transporting his vessels across the Atlantic, or any large, rough body of water. I honestly see the versatility of American pushers - however, I have to say, they are DAMN ugly and I am sometimes doubtful of pushing large barges that are barely held together. I like the idea of Eemsports vessel and similar design. It is a more solid, more appealing vessel, and apparently very successful. I think, however, a hybrid of both vessel types has yet to be built and discovered that might make a more solid and yet a more versatile vessel.
-Dave

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2007, 11:09:58 »

Luc: Its a Deutz RBV-6M 545, so with turbo-charger and aftercooler, bringing 800 HP on 380 RPM. Because of the low maximum RPM it doesn't need a reduction. So it's 1-on-1 on the screw.
And yes, at the time of the picture he was maintenenced, the exhaust-mainfolds are repaired, and the heat-exchanger was repaired.

AriesDW: The motor-vessels are very succesfull here in Europ, indeed. However, we have many barges on the river Rijn (Rhine), so we know that kind of transportation as well. ;)
And now for your idea...

Been there, don that! ;D ;)

Well, if this is what you mean by a hybrid between motorvessel and barge.
They are very popular in the Netherlands for many years now. Offcourse they don't only sail in the Netherlands, you can find them primarly on the Rhine.

Luc: It seems to me you know your way in Inland-shipping. May i ask, what you do for a living?
Maybe i could open a topic on this subject, since the last posts here concern real shipping instead of SimShipping. ;D

For further Q's visit the new topic here: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,406.new.html#new
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:22:30 by Eemspoort »
m/s "Eemspoort"

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2007, 11:48:11 »

The problem in the US is (as Eemspoort has indicated) manning regulations. They are the reason there are no small ships here anymore except a few research vessels. A "tug" needs only a captain and a deckhand, while a "ship" needs a whole crew roster. These regs were put into place at the urging of the seamen's union after many, many years of dangerous undermanning, but they have now somewhat outlived their usefulness.

So now we see coastwise trade dominated by "articulated" tug-barge combinations, and inland shipping by "towboats" (which are actually pushboats) and huge rafts of barges.  The towboats are basically the back-ends of ships -- all engine and a little housing -- and the big "line-haul" boats on rivers like the Mississippi run 24/7 dropping off one tow of barges and picking up another, back and forth.

There are also specialized smaller "turning boats" that do the job of moving the barges around at the ends of a run, sorta like the switch engines on a railroad.

As to ugly, well, that is of course in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2007, 12:00:56 »

Thank you for adding this info! I couldn't find i way myself to explain this in propper writing. :D
I have made a new topic on this (and other real-life) matter(s) in the "Small Talk"-section.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,406.new.html#new
m/s "Eemspoort"

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2007, 01:30:05 »

As to ugly, well, that is of course in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers,
Michael

Indeed, that is true. I meant no offence.
-Dave

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2007, 23:42:20 »

anchors? yes or no?
Ich hasse dich.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2007, 23:45:30 »

anchors? yes or no?

Yes, anchors are available for use :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines