Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 18:51:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of this computer for shipsim extremes?  (Read 2199 times)

matijak

• Forum member

I haven't really had a computer that's capable of playing shipsim extremes and I've recently looked into getting a new one. Unfortunately I'm on a budget so I've got only a few options. Does the computer experts on this forum think that this computer will be able to run shipsim extremes at a decently high level?
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-desktop-computer-amd-a6-5400k-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-8-refurbished-p6-2327c/10238653.aspx?path=3024eee6d74216a17d4c0035ccc28423en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Also, I've noticed a lot of people are complaining about bugs and how they are disappointed about the game. Have the issues been resolved in patches? I'm a huge enthusiast for cruise ships and ocean liners, will i be disappointed by the game?

thanks for your help!

slippery3333

• Forum member
Re: What do you think of this computer for shipsim extremes?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:35:25 »

I have a HP Pavilion m6 and it works just fine, no lags, great smooth game play. The m6 is a good cheap computer with good graphic s

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 15:04:47 »

Don't waste your money on this if the reason for buying is to run SSE.  The computer you linked to does not have a dedicated graphics card.  the AMD Radeon HD 7540D is what is known as an "integrated" graphics processor known as an APU, which means that it is on the same die as the CPU.  This is NOT a gaming computer.  However, it could run SSE quite well if you spent about another $200 (US) on a dedicated graphics card.  If you check out this link  http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu look for the best Bang-per-buck card with a minimum graphics score of say, 3000 (ish).  SSE can run on a lower scoring card but you would be again wasting your money by not future-proofing yourself.

Hope that helps.
We're all buddies in boats

matijak

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 18:09:14 »

I appreciate the feedback. Do you think that the computer could run it on max settings? My problem is that although a dedicated graphics card would be much better and everything I believe that it is the computer with the most capability for that price. 500-600 is starting to get to high. If i decide to upgrade it at least the option is there right? or is it not simple to add a dedicated graphics card when there already is an integrated one?

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 18:46:50 »

Adding a dedicated GPU is not hard.
You must firstly check if there is space left inside the motherboard to place one.

Most modern GPU cards make use of the PCI-Express or PCI-E slot:
(The long yellow one)

If your computer has this kind of slot it's simply inserting the new hardware, attaching your monitor to it and installing the associated drivers.

Therefore it's also adviced to buy a decent tower model computer like the one you suggested. Sometimes it is tempting to buy one of these compact computers with dimensions of 5X10X20 cm which look slick, but you can't add any new hardware to it in case you need it.

Without a dedicated GPU, Running SSE with decent settings is nearly impossible if it even runs at all.
So yes, most computers with better GPU cards are a bit more expensive nearing the 600. But it is necessairy.

Always check the system requirements instead of the advertising as well. Because every computer in a store is stated with "Best next generation HD graphics" while in reality it's crap compared to real gaming GPU's/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 18:48:45 by Mr Robville »

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 23:22:22 »

I appreciate the feedback. Do you think that the computer could run it on max settings?

I doubt it could run it well on MIN settings.  As previously explained.
We're all buddies in boats

matijak

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 22:08:16 »

alright so I'm back, what does everyone think of this? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-at3-desktop-pc-intel-core-i5-3350p-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-8-at3-600-eb11/10238812.aspx?path=17b3616ea7a80aa0500af6ceb1c9bd18en02&SearchPageIndex=1

I wanted to get a computer that could run it on its highest settings for the lowest price. I know building would really be the best option but I know nothing about computers and to pay someone to build it would cost another 80$.... besides when all the parts are from one company I believe its easier to handle if you ever have a problem.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:59:37 »

It looks decent but there is little known about the GPU card. (Sorry if I missed something)
It only says it's 1GB. Which is a selling gimmick. I can't see whether or not it's dedicated memory or shared, because that's a huge difference. Also the clock speed is important if not more.

Personally I'm not very fond of Acer computers. They are cheap I must admit, but as soon as you run Windows for the first time there are zillions of unnecessary applications installed with it whom which most of them load upon PC startup, thereby slowing it down. And after 3 months when all trial versions expire you get loads of annoying messages, notifications, alerts and other kinds of nonsense.

My brother's laptop had 20(!!) rubbish applications running. Varying from anti mal/spy/virus software to cleanup software to logging software for 'support and feedback' to some minigames which weirdly enough were running on the background at windows startup.
I double checked and it really was Acer that installed this. After removal of everything, even the apps Acer claimed to be 'important' the laptop ran much faster.

So I hope Acer has taken a different path in the meantime regarding extra software.

Running SSE on highest settings for a low price is rather impossible as you will need a beast of a gaming rig to be able to do so. I know from Stormforce that he reaches a nice FPS count with max settings. But his computer exists out of these specifications:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Intel Hex Core i7 3930K overclocked to 4.6Ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengance LP
GPU: Nvidia 4Gb GTX690
SSD: 256Gb Corsair Performance Pro
HDD: 2 x 3Tb Western Digital Caviar Green
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX2
Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X
Monitor: 30” Dell Ultrasharp U3011

Not that I know the price of everything, but considering his computer is twice as good to mine on almost any area, and I payed around $1000,- for it. My guess is that it would cost the double as well.
His GPU card alone is almost as expensive as my whole computer :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:07:32 by Mr Robville »

matijak

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:33:27 »

Ok thanks for the info, So you think its a very decent pick? More like medium-high settings? What do you think of the other computers here http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/performance-gaming-computers/30441.aspx?path=fa3f5b097efcd73aff35ff316be1e56cen01

I came across a 50$ gift card so I will probably limit my options to them. I was thinking a 1000 dollar computer like you have would be way more than enough, guess I was wrong : S
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines