Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 15:42:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyubov Orlova  (Read 7534 times)

purserone

• Forum member
Lyubov Orlova
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:31 »

Hello,

Can anyone give reliable information of the whereabouts of this ship, i have looked on a couple of ship tracking Forums but can't find any update as to whether she is still drifting or has sunk,

For those who have not heard about this ship she was being towed from Canada to the Dominican Republic for scrapping but after some attempts to tow her in rough sea's she broke the tow lines and from the 24th of January this year she has been drifting across the Atlantic East bound,

What i have read recently is a Beacon had gone off from her that should be activated by salt water but whether this was due to her sinking or other reasons nobody could give a clear answer.

Thanks for any info,

Roger.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: Lyubov Orlova
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:50 »

If it's EPIRB went off, chances are likely the ship has vanished.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05:02 »

That beacon would most likely be her EPIRB and which in normal condition is secured with an hydrostatic release unit. Once the HRU has reached a certain water depth, the water pressure with activate the system so the EPIRB is being released.

As you say it's hard to tell what triggerd it. An overcoming wave could also activate the HRU. Vessels that are drifting dead on the water will most likely fall abeam on the waves. I've seen liferafts being washed off the deck after a wave rolled over.

A friend of mine sailed on a seagoing tug and they were chartered to find a tow that was lost on the Indian Ocean. With satelite images they narrowed her possible location down, and 2 months after the tow wire broke she was found again.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Cat320DL

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:27 »

No one really knows if she is still afloat and drifting or if she has sank. There have be no new reported sighting of her for a month or more. Ships are supposed to report sighting if they see her. I think she may have sank.

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

purserone

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:55:22 »

Thanks Gents, maybe it will come to light one of these days!

Cheers,

Roger.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 18:50:44 »

No one really knows if she is still afloat and drifting or if she has sank. There have be no new reported sighting of her for a month or more. Ships are supposed to report sighting if they see her. I think she may have sank.

Kyle
give it a while - a drift can take up to 2 years to wash up on a cost
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 19:22:36 »

American intelligence reported in February she was about 2400 km west of Ireland. The expectation is she is slowly drifting towards Europe..
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 19:27:45 by saltydog »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 19:39:15 by saltydog »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 19:41:18 »

If she is still afloat, she is probably about (aboot?) here:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 19:55:45 by saltydog »

ci

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 20:10:43 »

Think your about right there saltydog

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 20:46:49 »

This is rather confusing. Everyone is reporting differently!!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:13:06 »

To be honest we would only know where she was if she sinks - it's not easy finding a small ship in huge ocean - it's like finding a needle on a haystack - a very bit haystack!  :doh:
Captain Cadet

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:03:32 »

Well, we'll se what happens :P I personally believe she has sunk, but then again, I'm pretty much always wrong... ::)

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 13:11:27 »

We still know she's floating as her emergency sinking call thingy which I forgot the name to  :doh: would have been activated but it hasn't so as far as we know she's still floating and there been sightings of her! Though I did read somewhere it's believed to be filled with cannibal rodents and that the first thing they'll have to do if it's going to hit land is to put something it to get rid of them ( like a few cats) to get rid of them as nobody knows if there diseased. 
Captain Cadet

larsdehaan

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 14:04:01 »

We still know she's floating as her emergency sinking call thingy which I forgot the name to  :doh: would have been activated but it hasn't so as far as we know she's still floating and there been sightings of her! Though I did read somewhere it's believed to be filled with cannibal rodents and that the first thing they'll have to do if it's going to hit land is to put something it to get rid of them ( like a few cats) to get rid of them as nobody knows if there diseased. 
Just torch it, That will do.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 16:14:55 »

Thats what I thought would be best but then you have the animal groups saying it's un humane. Anyway some people want it as scrap and torching it could sink it.
Captain Cadet

larsdehaan

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 17:37:11 »

Thats what I thought would be best but then you have the animal groups saying it's un humane. Anyway some people want it as scrap and torching it could sink it.
Rather have a inhumane event then a plague of canibal rodents.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 18:25:40 »

We still know she's floating as her emergency sinking call thingy which I forgot the name to would have been activated

I swear it already has gone off...? :P plus didn't canada (who were supposed to be keeping track of her) say they'd lost her?

This is rather confusing!!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 19:34:01 »

Her lifeboats ones have been activated but they were believed to fallen off as they were set off a few days apart.  She is as far as we know still floating but we just don't know where - it's a big worlds it there!
Rather have a inhumane event then a plague of canibal rodents.
True if she hits land and those rodents are alive god know what will happen. Also thinking about the cat idea won't probobly work as they are eating themselves and there is nothing to stop them eating the cat.
Captain Cadet

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 21:24:27 »

Her lifeboats ones have been activated but they were believed to fallen off....She is as far as we know still floating but we just don't know where
Ahh, I see. Everywhere I have seen have said her main EPIRB was activated, meaning she has sunk, however as it was just her lifeboats that explains it.

Also thinking about the cat idea won't probobly work as they are eating themselves and there is nothing to stop them eating the cat.
Have they boarded her then to find the rats? :-\

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 21:30:38 »

They know it's full of rats - it's was abandoned for 2 years in port so the rats got on there and it's soviet Russian so built realy well but not good with things like stopping rats going thereand so on because they could have got someone to do it because of communism.
Captain Cadet

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:29 »

She was kept in St John's harbour, Canada for more than 2 years. As far as I can tell without rat guards.
There are probably a lot of rats aboard..
Have they found a way inside the ship, or are all doors closed so they are stranded up on the top deck?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:48:00 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:21 »

I see :) Well, we'll see what happens to her.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 00:51:27 »

This Belgian ship has been searching for her for the past months.. Maybe they will find her.. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines