Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 10:45:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unreal reality  (Read 2224 times)

sailor95

• Forum member
Unreal reality
« on: December 18, 2012, 21:52:56 »

Got a not very nasty surprice today. Bought that ferry pack for Shipsim Extreme, installed it and found a mission intended for this addonn. Was unaware and overspeeded a knot and what do you know. The mission stops with a quite harsh and unfriendly message and is then abandoned. Speechless I kept staring at the screen for a while and my head being just one huge WHAT? Is this a simulator or just some kind of arcade game for kids?
As a dedicated simmer through almost 20 years I have to advice the game developers: If it couldn't happen in the real world, it shouldn't happen in a simulator. Dedicated simmers are usually very spesific about realism, and I just can't imagine how this stupidity could mirror real life. Would the ship sink or maybe just vanish, leaving the captain swimming around looking for his ship?
I would really appreciate an explanation for this.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Unreal reality
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 00:19:17 »

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:08:45 »

Hi
Please can you name mission and the unfriendly message received so we can check this out
no missions are released if we think they would offend the player.
                                                                                     Eric

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:53:29 »

Got a not very nasty surprice today. Bought that ferry pack for Shipsim Extreme, installed it and found a mission intended for this addonn. Was unaware and overspeeded a knot and what do you know. The mission stops with a quite harsh and unfriendly message and is then abandoned. Speechless I kept staring at the screen for a while and my head being just one huge WHAT? Is this a simulator or just some kind of arcade game for kids?
As a dedicated simmer through almost 20 years I have to advice the game developers: If it couldn't happen in the real world, it shouldn't happen in a simulator. Dedicated simmers are usually very spesific about realism, and I just can't imagine how this stupidity could mirror real life. Would the ship sink or maybe just vanish, leaving the captain swimming around looking for his ship?
I would really appreciate an explanation for this.

As "a dedicated simmer" I would have thought that you would have stuck to the speed limit the way real ships have to, no maybe the ship would not sink, but in certain ports the master would probably be fined for exceeding the speed limit.

pomperek

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 13:34:08 »

As "a dedicated simmer" I would have thought that you would have stuck to the speed limit the way real ships have to, no maybe the ship would not sink, but in certain ports the master would probably be fined for exceeding the speed limit.
cameras need to add a little bit here, and  will be discipline and politeness ;DSuch as the roads ...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 13:36:39 by pomperek »
Successful 2014  for all  :-)

sailor95

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 18:54:52 »

A simulated fine and some delay would be closer to realism and completely acceptable, but not that the entire mission is closed down. I still think that is a total absence of realism. It was 1 knot overspeed and I was just about to reduce throttle.

sailor95

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 19:20:07 »

Hi Eric. The mission was 'A New Route ( Ferry Pack )' and the message was ' IF YOU CAN NOT OBEY THE RULES WE DO NOT WANT YOU IN THE COMPANY GOODBY ', all in big letters.

TJK

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 20:11:27 »

Well that was a fun mission to play, joust folow the order you get from the info then you will make it, the message is fun also :)

TJK

PS Eric i think it are one of Jan's missions, a real good one to

sailor95

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 22:06:35 »

The mission was nice, with cars driving on and off the ship, an ambulance arrrived to pick up a sick crew member. It was that rather unpleasant sudden death thing I didn't quite fancy. Reminds me of what I think of as the dark ages of gaming in the early 90's. Very peculiar rules and obstacles, game developers thought they owned the world AND the customers. As it turned out, they did neather. Quite a few went down, the rest took to their senses.
Never thought I would experience anything similar in 2012.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 23:58:00 »

A good sense of humour is required in reality, without it, life can be very miserable. ::) That being the case, a little light hearted fun in the game is also needed so that we do not all become obsessed with little details. It's nearly Christmas, which is purported to be the season of joy and happiness. ;D :doh: If you break the speed limits on the St. Lawrence Seaway it is a very, very expensive pastime, so introducing a similar thing into the game has a very valid purpose!!!

Regards,
Angus.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 00:03:06 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:47:39 »

Agreed, but not unless it at the cost of gameplay.
A notification like that is fine, but it shouldn't be a game over. In Mafia II There's even an easter egg like that in a certain mission when you flee the scene when not supposed to you get a message saying "Go back and help Joe you Chickens***!" But it didn't make the game end.

The mission was nice, with cars driving on and off the ship, an ambulance arrrived to pick up a sick crew member. It was that rather unpleasant sudden death thing I didn't quite fancy. Reminds me of what I think of as the dark ages of gaming in the early 90's. Very peculiar rules and obstacles, game developers thought they owned the world AND the customers. As it turned out, they did neather. Quite a few went down, the rest took to their senses.
Never thought I would experience anything similar in 2012.

You made me remember an old game called "Constructor" The simple idea was creating a town with rival CPU players against you. It was fun untill something unexplained went wrong and out of nowhere a cutscene came portraying a game over message. And in a split second, all of your progress was gone and you never knew why. It was frustrating.

Even Age of Empires had a few interrupting events such as enemy relics or wonders I remember.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:50:58 by mr robville »

sailor95

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 15:34:46 »

Well, maybe I overreacted a bit. But I still think that 'game over' is not a proper punishment, but what the hell. It's Christmas. Merry Christmas to all of you from all of me :).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 19:51:02 »

Well, maybe I overreacted a bit. But I still think that 'game over' is not a proper punishment, but what the hell. It's Christmas. Merry Christmas to all of you from all of me :).

Tell that the captain of the costa concordia!
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines