Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 09:01:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vermaas changing harbours in Hamburg  (Read 2741 times)

struggler

• Forum member
Vermaas changing harbours in Hamburg
« on: September 13, 2012, 18:48:15 »

When I come to connect the tug to Vermaas's stern in midstream I cannot get her green towing lights to show when I click a green light on the tug, even though the tug is properly positioned  for this to happen.    This worked OK earlier in the mission when I first connected them in the dock.
Has anyone an explanation for this?

Paul

eviss

• Forum member
Re: Vermaas changing harbours in Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 19:32:51 »

You might take a look at these lights !  ::)

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,20837.msg281515.html#msg281515

Perhaps you find the answer to your question then.  ;)
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 21:01:34 »

Thanks for mentioning my topic Eviss, but I think the topic starter means the green ballons which show up when the towing menu is opened.

Is that correct, Struggler?
It's the crew that makes the difference

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 21:26:55 »

I have had a problem with two or three missions where when a tug has been connected to a vessel which requires towing, clicking on the 'towing' lights results in the lights coming on but as soon as I move to the another 'menu' (such as helmsman's view) the lights go off.  Go back to the light menu and select towing and lights go on but move off that menu and they go off!!!  I'm afraid that I don't even bother now, which is a shame as it did add a bit of realism

Any thoughts Ballast??

Regards

Metman

virtualpilot

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 21:32:41 »

The lights are positioned outside the ship. therefore they can be seen from outside and are designed to be seen by people on other vessels. The helmsman is inside the ship and therefore does not see the lights.

N

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 21:55:25 »

That sounds strange Metman, I've never heard anyone about it nor did I experienced that bug myself  :-\

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 22:54:46 »

I have had a problem with two or three missions where when a tug has been connected to a vessel which requires towing, clicking on the 'towing' lights results in the lights coming on but as soon as I move to the another 'menu' (such as helmsman's view) the lights go off.  Go back to the light menu and select towing and lights go on but move off that menu and they go off!!!  I'm afraid that I don't even bother now, which is a shame as it did add a bit of realism.

If the mission builder has NOT stipulated that navigation lights are to be on, then what is described here will occur. Some missions which take place in partial darkness, (twilight) then if one switches on the navigation lights which have not been specifically programmed by the builder to be ON will go OFF straight away no matter how many times you try to switch them on.
If you read and/or study the editor and the notes for it, you will see that there is provision to set the navigation lights as needed by the builder.

Traddles.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 00:47:32 »

Hello M.

Reviewing the possibility him talking about lights, meaning the green connection bulbs is a possible option !  :doh:

Sorry, my bad / getting too old for guessing the meaning of talking in riddles !  ;D

Promise; I'll do better next time !  ;)

Vr. Gr. Erik
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:54:45 »

Hi
The save game can also cause this after loading save the towing lights will
not show even though they have editor command to be on.
                                                                                           Eric

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:36 »

If the mission builder has NOT stipulated that navigation lights are to be on, then what is described here will occur. Some missions which take place in partial darkness, (twilight) then if one switches on the navigation lights which have not been specifically programmed by the builder to be ON will go OFF straight away no matter how many times you try to switch them on.
If you read and/or study the editor and the notes for it, you will see that there is provision to set the navigation lights as needed by the builder.

Traddles.

Hi
The save game can also cause this after loading save the towing lights will
not show even though they have editor command to be on.
                                                                                           Eric

Thanks for clearing that up  :)

struggler

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 14:21:01 »

Thank you all for your replies.   Yes, Ballast, I do mean the green ballons which should show up when the towing menu is opened, not the navigation lights!   It is frustrating that, having got this far in the mission, I cannot now connect the tow-line between tug and Vermass.   I may try sailing her to her new moorings without the tug.   I wonder if that will work?   Tug will probably have to go as well, but unconnected.

Many thanks
Paul

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 17:29:58 »

thanks guys

Metman

struggler

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 18:35:24 »

Hello

Mission accomplished without the tug.   I did not realise that a little later in the mission I would b given the option "to tug or not to tug" anyway.

Thanks again for help

Paul

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 21:41:57 »

Slightly offtopic but with a ship like the Vermaas my choice would be 'not to tug', for sure. The use of the tugboat is not always helpful but can also be a pain in the stern  ;D

struggler

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 23:18:02 »

Yes, Ballast, I heartily agree with your second observation!!
Paul

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:58:07 »

Slightly offtopic but with a ship like the Vermaas my choice would be 'not to tug', for sure. The use of the tugboat is not always helpful but can also be a pain in the stern  ;D

Not to mention a pain in the budget, towing costs are ridiculous and as ballast so eloquently says, dpeending on the conditions, can sometimes be more troublesome than helpful.

Try doing the same manoeuvres with and without tugs in shipsim and you will find that in most cases the manoeuvres are easier without the tug.  While there is obviously a big difference (sorry VStep!) between shipsim and real life the same principal does apply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines