Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 02:59:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: only getting a black screen when launching the game  (Read 7613 times)

Torslunde

• Forum member
Re: only getting a black screen when launching the game
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 08:53:04 »

this msg misplaced and should be deleted
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:56:28 by Torslunde »

GeorgeT93

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 15:23:20 »

Sorry you haven't been able to get things working yet, bigdaddy305. I just wanted to let you know that the Amazon download version (at least in the U.S.) is not the Steam version. It's the disk-based version that they sell that requires Steam. I purchased my download from Amazon, and Steam would not let me register my SSE with them, so I had to download from Amazon directly.

Since you bought both versions, make sure that both versions aren't installed, as the Amazon one installs to c:\program files (x86)\Vstep\[shipsim extremes] (or a folder name similar to what I put in brackets, I'm not on my main pc at the moment to double-check), and the steam version would install to c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\[ship simulator] (again, the part in the brackets may be named slightly differently and I don't have the Steam version to check the final folder name.) So they could both be installed at the same time (which may or may not cause problems, I honestly have no idea.) I would try to make sure that you uninstall both versions (use 'Programs and Features' in your control panel to remove the Amazon version, and in your Steam library, right-click on your Ship Simulator Extremes listing on the left, and choose 'delete local content' to uninstall the Steam version. Once both have been uninstalled, I would reboot. I would then try reinstalling the Steam version only, and then try running the OROCHI-CEG program I linked to in a previous post before starting the game, and see if that can't get it started for you without a black screen. Also remember that the Steam version should never be patched with patches released here on Shipsim, as Steam patches their games automatically. Alternatively, with the Amazon version, you would need to manually download and install the patches from shipshim to get the game up to date. I believe the Amazon version was build 1040 v1.2.2 on my download, and I had to install the patches from http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/updates to get my game updated.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get things worked out, and if you still can't get things working, try contacting Swenson as sadsid recommended, and hopefully someone from Vstep can figure out your issue so you can start enjoying your game!

Best of luck!
-George

bigdaddy305

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2012, 03:01:54 »

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE THAT GAVE THEIR TIME AND WISDOM F0R HELPING ME OUT. I HAVE SOME EXCELLENT NEWS........ IT WORKS ;D :thumbs: :2thumbs:. I HAD TO REINSTALL WINDOWS 7. A COMPLETE REINSTALL OF WINDOWS. NOW I CAN PLAY. HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS ON THE HIGH SEAS.

AGAIN THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:22:53 by bigdaddy305 »

virtualpilot

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:27 »

i am pleased for you. One of the problems these days is that you have to undo a lot of things just to get one to work and then reinstall the rest. but reinstalling Windows , would i have gone that far ? i had to reinstall direct x 9.0c and reinstall the game and i thought that was bad. Well done for finding the problem and hopefully get to sail the sven seas in your company one of these days.

N

Gernot1971

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:14 »

Fantastic.  :2thumbs:

Fine that the game leave the "shipyard" now. Hope to meet you on the virtuell sea.  ;)

Grüße aus / Best regards from

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2012, 13:24:03 »

Great to here you got out of the dock and that your steaming at flank speed for the open ocean Bigdaddy!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Have a safe "virtual" watch!  :2thumbs:  :captain:
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

GeorgeT93

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2012, 13:42:55 »

Fantastic news, Bigdaddy305!!  :2thumbs:

Glad you've got it up and running! Now time for you to head out into some open water and start enjoying the game! :)

Good sailing, Captain!

-George
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines