Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 15:21:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 79987 times)

dexter7

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2012, 01:11:16 »

This isn't a good story... I just saw on the news: 46 people unaccounted for, am I right?
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2012, 01:11:47 »

The captain of the Costa Concordia may have been correct in his belief that his ship met its fate off the western Italian coast because of a power failure.
Passengers rescued from the stricken liner reported there had been a power blackout and a large booming noise, which indicated the vessel may have suffered an engine room explosion.

Last night Malcolm Latarche, editor of the global shipping magazine IHS Fairplay Solutions, said the problem may have been caused by a phenomenon known as ‘harmonic interference’.

Mr Latarche said it was possible the cruise liner experienced the same problem that saw the Queen Mary 2 lose power in September 2010 as she was approaching Barcelona. On that occasion, the QM2 was able to carry on into open sea.
The expert said the harmonic interference – a type of power surge – could have caused a malfunction in the generators feeding the ship’s six diesel electric engines with which the back-up systems could not cope.

This would have caused the ship to lose navigational power and steering control and veer off course, he said.
Asked for his assessment of the incident, Mr Latarche said: ‘I would say power failure caused by harmonic interference and then it can’t propel straight or navigate and it hit rocks.’

He added that once a ship experienced problems with the electrical supply to its main propulsion motors, it could lead to a problem with steering.
Mr Latarche said: ‘It seems that this may have happened quite close to land, in shallow water. When you can’t steer you are going to run aground and hit rocks at some point.’

The Costa Concordia, built in 2005, was designed to standards comparable with ocean liners.
Even though it had a rounded hull compared to the stronger V-shaped hull fitted to the Cunard flagship QM2, experts say it was capable of crossing the rough seas of the Atlantic.

Mr Latarche added: ‘Although the damage caused to the ship was severe, there are many safeguards in the design of a state-of-the-art cruise ship to prevent it turning over.
‘There is a second hull within the outer hull. Inside the inner hull there is a steel structure like an ice tray to contain the water and prevent it spreading through the ship.

‘In this case, the Master rightly attempted to return it to the shore, but it seems to have keeled over because it hit shallow water on the coast. An ocean cruise ship is not designed to float in 20ft of water. It needs much more than that to remain upright.’

According to Mr Latarche, the fact that the average tonnage of cruise ships has doubled in the past decade makes a full-scale evacuation while at sea almost impossible.

Under regulations introduced by the International Maritime Organisation  in 2010, the very latest ships are now designed to be able to return to port even  in the event of a major fire or loss of power on board, in order to make evacuation unnecessary.

The Concordia was commissioned five years prior to the new rules but Mr Latarche said: ‘Even if the most sophisticated ship in the world went into shallow water, the likelihood is it would turn on its side. This was a unique situation in which a number of circumstances all came together.’

Last night, Italian investigators trying to establish the cause of the accident arrested the Captain, Francesco Schettino, and were considering bringing manslaughter charges. The investigators will study repair log books and fault reports for the vessel dating back several years. They will also examine the experience of the officers and crew and examine the roles played by everyone on the day that the liner came to grief.

Since the Eighties the cruise industry has experienced a boom. More than 19 million passengers took a cruise last year and nine or more cruise ships of 100,000 tons or more have been built every year for the past decade.
Although cruise ships appear to be top- heavy, most of their weight is at the bottom, while the structure towards the top is designed to be comparatively light.

Traditionally, the vast majority of cruises have been taken by Americans to the Caribbean islands, but the Mediterranean market is rapidly expanding, with Italy the prime destination. Cruise liners are designed for pleasure voyages, in which the surroundings and the luxurious amenities are the major focus of the experience, rather than the transportation itself.

As an industry, cruising has a safety record generally regarded as excellent. Over the past two decades, an estimated 90 million passengers have enjoyed a cruise without major incident. The overwhelming majority of deaths on cruise ships are from natural causes or suicides.  Passenger ships – defined as any ship carrying more than 12 passengers – must comply with International Maritime Organisation regulations, which cover every aspect of the construction and operation.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:53 »

At her christening 6 years ago, the champagne bottle failed to break against her hull.
For the superstitious, this was seen as a bad omen..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:09:37 by saltydog »

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2012, 01:24:45 »

possibly true...
My PC specs:
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2012, 01:25:58 »

Lets just hope they can find the remaining people that are outstanding

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:51 »

You can now see the captain taken into custody.

http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/costaconcordia/
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2012, 01:36:49 »

The two people found are inside a stateroom, more details to follow

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:39 »

Good. 44 more to go...
My PC specs:
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:43 »

@Danny:
He added that once a ship experienced problems with the electrical supply to its main propulsion motors, it could lead to a problem with steering.
Mr Latarche said: ‘It seems that this may have happened quite close to land, in shallow water. When you can’t steer you are going to run aground and hit rocks at some point.’

Ships should have an emergency steering and an emergency brake system which is deployed when the ship has problems with the propulsion and steering. I think about a braking scupper which is deployed from the bottom of the hull which will act as an emergency brake.

Why the Costa Concordia sank so quicly is that the windows and portholes are rather close to the water line, see the attached image. In case of severe listing, they become submerged and water breaks through the windows with progressive flooding and capsizing as the result.

Costa Concordia in better times, note the windows and portholes rather close to the water line.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:21 »

Update
Apprently the ship hit the rocks some 40 minutes before she "sunk". they were steaming for a safe location to disembark the passengers when she developed the sudden list and muster stations was sounded shortly after.

If that's true then the Captain's action [to ground the vessel] may have saved a lot of lives.

We should be careful what we are saying on here, accusing someone of murder/manslaughter when investigations are still not yet completed. We still do not know the full story.

Also it might be a good idea to be careful what you say about cruise companies - if they discover someone made a defamatory comment about them, they will have no hesitation in bringing their lawyers. The cruise industry is so powerful that they would take the necessary steps to protect their repupation.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2012, 14:59:50 »

Top marks to Kevin for that comment.

The papers and tv are full of want to be marine experts claiming possible causes; most likely it will turn out to be a series of events conspiring together- as with any disaster it is seldom one isolated incident.

One thing though, I'm not sure if it's a translation issue or what but it appears some of the statements being made by the Italian state are effectively prejudicing the Capt/1st right to a fair trial; I know of several criminal cases that have collapsed due to prejudicial statements issued before an investigation.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2012, 15:02:18 »

On the Atlantic she would have still been afloat, because there are no reefs there.  :P

Idiotic comment.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2012, 15:30:25 »

Well Stu, if you are the 'know-it-all', then why don't you just find out everything what happened.  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

larsdehaan

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2012, 15:34:19 »

He is the know it all... anyway the captain Francesco.. wasnt he the captain of the costa serena while the episodes of Cruise ship diaries were filmed?

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2012, 15:53:33 »

Ships should have an emergency steering and an emergency brake system which is deployed when the ship has problems with the propulsion and steering. I think about a braking scupper which is deployed from the bottom of the hull which will act as an emergency brake.

All ships HAVE an emergency steering system. It can be used when the steering system fails. It's a major SOLAS requirement and regular drills are held to familiarise all staff on a ship of the method to operate it. The emergency system is operated locally from the steering flat (the space that has the machinery to turn the rudder). Normally, it is a "quick deployment system" and the rudder can be controlled locally based on helm orders given from the bridge.
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2012, 16:10:49 »

3 people have been rescued from inside the costa concordia!
@lars
I think he was, and if what we saw in those episodes was his "normal" way of command, he seemed like a very proffesional captain who knew his job.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 16:25:33 by danny »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2012, 16:18:49 »

Well Stu, if you are the 'know-it-all', then why don't you just find out everything what happened.  ::)

That's the whole point. I DON'T KNOW. And neither does anyone else here. Every time a ship sinks or has an accident, people here seem to think they are qualified to make statements of fact- rather than opinion. To my knowledge there are 8 or so people here who have qualifications that allow them to make educated statements about what might have happened.

Thus far only two of them have made posts here and they have refrained from speculation turning into statement of fact.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2012, 16:19:52 »

That's the whole point. I DON'T KNOW. And neither does anyone else here. Every time a ship sinks or has an accident, people here seem to think they are qualified to make statements of fact- rather than opinion. To my knowledge there are 8 or so people here who have qualifications that allow them to make educated statements about what might have happened.

Thus far only two of them have made posts here and they have refrained from speculation turning into statement of fact.

I never said I thought I was 'qualified' for this.  :-\

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2012, 16:20:32 »

He is the know it all... anyway the captain Francesco.. wasnt he the captain of the costa serena while the episodes of Cruise ship diaries were filmed?

No I don't. If you took your head out your backside for long enough you'd see that I was saying the exact opposite. The difference between me and people like you is that I am wise enough to know this.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2012, 16:20:55 »

I never said I thought I was 'qualified' for this.  :-\

Well, we're agreed on something then.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2012, 16:27:27 »

Florence newspaper reporting now 17 people still missing.

A bit of info on the couple rescued from insde the hull, they were a south korean couple on a honeymoon. They are shaken, but otherwise ok.

The firm "smit salvage" has apprently being tasked with removing fuel from the costa, estimates are that it will take around 2 weeks.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2012, 16:31:58 »

If it will take two weeks to remove the fuel, how long to try and salvage, I wonder? Seas seem to be unkind to beached ships. Perhaps I will be using the remains of the metal to shave with shortly...

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 16:41:44 »

There may be a large quantity of fuel to transfer, as she would have been fully tanked for her journey.
After they repair the hole, it shouldn't be too hard to refloat her (so don't throw away your electric razor just yet)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 16:51:55 by saltydog »

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 16:50:26 »

The death toll has now been brought up to 5.  :'(

10:30am: 2 bodies of passengers have been found on the Costa Concordia, this now brings the death toll to 5.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 17:08:54 »

The death toll has now been brought up to 5.  :'(

Just heard it aswell on the radio.  :'(
Found by divers, according to the Italian coast guard
Cadet Holland America Line
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines