Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 11:16:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Promas Lite' Rudder system - could it be implemented in SS? Any diffences?  (Read 1665 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

http://www.rolls-royce.com/marine/products/propulsors/promas/

Hi Guys

The DFDS D Class ships are heading off to dry dock soon, and are having the rudders/propellor systems replaced with a 'Promas Lite' system which is with the propeller attached to the rudder and thus turns with the rudder. this improves efficiency.

Now could something like this be implemented into SSE? Would you notice any difference as efficiency isn't modelled into SSE?

Many Thanks

TFM

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member

Looks interesting.  :)

Indeed this would be a neat idea for Ship Simulator. It's like the azipods (where the propellers also move with it) of the Orient Star but then more sleeked out.
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Traddles

• Global Moderator

If you check the animation you will see that the propellor is NOT attached to the rudder. The rudder turns just as an ordinary rudder but the fairings on the prop. and rudder give a more smooth flow of water. I cannot see any advantage when the rudder is hard over though, but I'm sure the experts at Rolls Royce know better than I do.

Traddles.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member

Because of this topic I went looking for other extra-ordinary rudders, and came across the Schilling Rudder, which also looks interesting..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schilling_Rudder

danny

• Forum member

"It would be too similar to NAUTIS"

So the promas system only has a increased efficiency when the rudder is midships?
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Snakebyte92

• Forum member

So the promas system only has a increased efficiency when the rudder is midships?
I believe it is. The draft from the rudder to proppeler will be reduced by it. At least if I read it correct  :lol:
Cadet Holland America Line
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines